IGNORED

Riders Republic

djbhammer

I had a funny one as well, I had the Y axis inverted for ground sports and when I got to the place where I met all the really annoying people, I went backwards when I pushed forwards. I'm finding the racing and tricks a lot of fun but everything in between makes me want to die. I'm really hoping the interface / progression isn't as confusing as steep. Also I hope the lack of a mid race restart is just a beta quirk...think I might be being optimistic though. Looking forward to playing more tonight anyway. I've done my 11 stars so hopefully there's less narration and character interaction after that. 

50 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Have any of you guys who are playing this played the amazing Descenders? I’d be interested to see how this compares with that on the biking front.

I've played a bit of descenders on switch and think the biking on this is better - mostly because it benefits from human designed courses and tighter controls. That said, I didn't think much of descenders so your mileage may vary.

Hmm, Descenders does have human designed courses. I’ve not found any issues with the controls either, but if it’s better that bodes well anyway.

I bemused at anyone not liking Descenders! Hammering down a hill at 100kph to some house tunes never gets old for me.

I thought Descenders was all procedurally generated?

RR isn't ultra realistic or anything but seems to have a better grounding in reality, physics wise. Plus you do get the huge draw distance and thundering down an actual* mountain.

*well, not an actual mountain but you know what I mean.

I've played both and liked both. The actual bike riding bit seems quite similar. RR is usually a race though. Too early to say which is better I think, I spent most of last night's session being talked at.

The most fun I had riding was just biking around int he open world - once you get past the entry level stuff (11 stars I think) you can explore a fair bit.

It's the sort of thing you could spend a couple of hours doing nothing in, have fun and not miss it afterwards.

10 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I thought Descenders was all procedurally generated?

RR isn't ultra realistic or anything but seems to have a better grounding in reality, physics wise. Plus you do get the huge draw distance and thundering down an actual* mountain.

*well, not an actual mountain but you know what I mean.

Yes, the physics in Descenders is gamey for sure, but that’s one reason why I love it. It never ceases to crack me up when I get launched into space after hitting a tree.

There may be procedural stuff in Descenders but I play the bike park levels and they have the designer’s names on so I assume they are people.

2 hours ago, Dan said:

Hi, it just tells me I’m registered. 

Finally found the page which you can invite people on and it says you're already registered, so I can't invite you. Sorry! Maybe try Ubisoft support?

16 minutes ago, Don Rosco said:

Finally found the page which you can invite people on and it says you're already registered, so I can't invite you. Sorry! Maybe try Ubisoft support?

Will do! Thanks, I’d received an email saying I’ve been accepted, but no code anywhere. 

On 23/08/2021 at 14:52, Strafe said:

Is this good? I can’t tell.

Yes Strafe, it’s good.

Does that Ubisoft thing of looking a bit naff in parts but then you come over the top of the hill and the sun glare is shining through and then you suddenly realise it looks really amazing at times.

Not as good as the gameplay reveal but still good. I’d say the visuals look like PS4 Pro/X1X level Ubisoft but then you remember it’s running in double the frame rate (60fps) and the draw distances are actually pretty bonkers. Hopefully it will get buffed up a bit before release, maybe they toned down some of the effects for the beta.

The dudebro speak is a bit grating but you get used to it, it’s nothing you haven’t heard before in SSX tricky from way back when. They’ve done a good job of making the whole republic (as they call it) feel very alive and populated. Even the NPC’s look and sound like they’re having fun.

Only played an hour or two, but I haven't been put off wanting to pick it up near to release.  The riding feels alright.  It's better than Descenders (which I didn't like), but Lonely Mountains Downhill is better as a focused MTB game.  No idea what half the features of the game are actually doing, but it looks vast enough to be able to just ignore bits and still get plenty out of it.

I didn’t rate Lonely Mountain as an mtb game at all. I enjoyed it for what it was, but it gave you none of the feeling of mountain biking really, it’s more of a puzzle game than anything for my money.

Descenders is the opposite really, it gives you the some of the feeling of mountain biking, and then turns that up to a thousand.

For me, lonely mountains felt just like mountain biking. The freedom to explore and find new pathways isn’t something I feel anything else has captured anywhere near as well. Nothing about RR or Descenders is anything like actually riding a mountain bike, unless you happen to be a top tier pro who can clear insane gaps and handle humongous drops.

But it doesn’t feel like steering a bike - you are moving a guy around the screen who happens to be on a bike, with some nice bike sound effects. It’s got zero feel of actually being on a bike. It’s more stressful than anything.

Descenders at least simulates what it feels like to hurtle downhill on a bike, but as I previously said turns the dial up to a point way past what you could hope to achieve in real life, which is why it’s so good. Add some great thumping house cheese to that and it’s pure gold.

Well, i had a blast on Riders Republic - I am a big downhilll moutain biking fan, so needed to check it out for that alone. It does have a fair amount of downhill racing in it, even has some big bike brands as well, although i have seen no actual real rider names yet. 

There is a good sense of speed, but the courses are literally just smooth slopes with jumps. It seems like a missed opportunity not to have some form of different terrain that effects your bikes, rocks, roots, mud, braking bumps, ruts etc. It is basically like a snow boarding course.

Graphically it needs a lot of work - it does say "Work in Progress" over everything, which is fair enough, but I cannot see them improving it that much as the game engine they are using looks pretty old anyway. It reminds me of The Crews game engine.

I'm fully into this now. Once the chattering ninnies took a back seat and more events opened up, I was completely sucked in. Structurally, it all fits together pretty well. Once you get your head round all the options for getting around, it's fun to just piss about. A vertical take off with the rocket wing, then change to the wingsuit midair, then land and take your unstoppable snowmobile for a spin. 

I went for the stick trick system and found it a little idiosyncratic (why two sets of very similar snow tricks for on and off piste? The left stick being used for correcting your spin and doing grabs is pretty awkward as well), but it feels pretty good, and looks like there's a fair bit of depth. 

Racing can be exhilarating but a minor slip can be punished pretty severely. Also sometimes it's not clear where the next checkpoint is. Still a great buzz though.  

I'd probably be a day one, but it's €70 so i'm not sure i'm in for that much. Will see how i'm fixed at release. 

• 1 month later...

4h trial version is in the xbox store to get

played for 20m and its all a bit shoddy feeling, the bikes don’t feel that grounded to the track, the jetpacks feel odd too, the skiing felt best of the intro events.

lots of menus, lots of yammering people saying things like ‘extreeeeme’ and ‘real talk’ and lots of collectible gear. 

will persist a bit and try some more events but not feeling the urge to hammer the buy button at launch prices, had xmas sale discounts all over it i suspect

21 minutes ago, Gotters said:

4h trial version is in the xbox store to get

played for 20m and its all a bit shoddy feeling, the bikes don’t feel that grounded to the track, the jetpacks feel odd too, the skiing felt best of the intro events.

lots of menus, lots of yammering people saying things like ‘extreeeeme’ and ‘real talk’ and lots of collectible gear. 

will persist a bit and try some more events but not feeling the urge to hammer the buy button at launch prices, had xmas sale discounts all over it i suspect

Looks to be a 3.3GB update on PS5 if you still have the Beta installed.

I really enjoyed the bikes in the Beta but actually felt the snow bits didn’t feel as good as Steep. I’ve still got Japan to do in Steep so I’ll probably go back to that but this is tempting. The characters were a bit annoying in this though.

It seems ok, bit of a laugh but I don’t like the feeling of the bikes, feels like the luge. 

The dialogue is pretty painful. So far the snowboarding seems like the best bit (maybe they should have done Steep 2)