IGNORED

Riders Republic

djbhammer

Are we out of the NDA for the beta now?  I fucking hated it.

There was this one bit in one of the early trailers for the game, that got me so excited for it.  Like, proper anticipation that it could finally be the game I wanted.  And it was like a 1 second clip in the trailer.  I'll try and dig it out.  Hang on.

Ok, here...

From 3:29.

Those couple of seconds of first person riding on that ridge.  HYPE.

But 3:36 it had already ruined it again, but I still had hope.

Then it turned out to be your average dudebro extreme sports game with terrible handling and terrible everything else.

Plus all the usual Ubisoft shit piled on top.

Hated it.

Hmm so I thought they might have improved the haptics on the PS5 since the beta to give more of a feeling of contact with the surface but nope, still feels like a PS4 game in a PS5 box. Also hats off to whoever thought using L2 for brake when on the ground but for tricks when ever so slightly off the ground was a good idea in first person mode ffs.

I played again for a bit this morning, just in case I was having a particularly bad day during the beta.  Obviously I played the beta for a lot longer, but as soon as I got into it today all of the same shit came flooding back.

The unskippable phone calls on the map screen are so frustrating.  Nobody wants to hear what that guy has to say.  Nobody.  

You get a constant stream of new and better bikes, meaning you never even remotely get used to any of them or form any kind of attachment to them, making them all completely worthless.  It's just "here, have this new bike that's 50 points better than the one we gave you a minute ago".  Why?

But the main issue is that there’s just no sense of tension or excitement of any kind.  In all of the events I played, but particularly the flying ones, you're just moving around a bit to get through some checkpoints.  It's mind-numbing, and the exact opposite of the adrenaline rush you would hope for.

Uninstalled with less than 30 minutes on the clock.  Thank heavens for free trials.

Ugh.

There might be a good game in here, but it seems determined to make me hate everything about it before revealing any actual joy that it might contain. I got an hour through before quitting, and during that time I was far more annoyed than entertained.

From the endless hurling of new information, through the awful personalities, and the stupid teleportation mid-cutscene, it's a very jarring experience. It's like there's a fear of letting the player breathe. At one point I somehow missed a checkpoint and had to backtrack while on the Snowmobile I had been given to allow exploration... 

What it needs is to respect the player more, and not just assume that everyone's a 12-year old with ADHD. Give me a bike, let me mess about on it a bit, show me a race and then leave me the hell alone to work stuff out. Here, when what I wanted to do was ride over there, I was suddenly flying face-first into the floor. I would much rather run out of time having not seen everything than be force-fed to this degree.

And it's a shame, because 1st-person downhill biking was pretty good. Such a pity I have to fight through so much other crap. It is SO Ubisoft! Everything that pulls me away from AAA games is thrown at you, and piled on top of you, because "content" is more important than "experience." I'll be avoiding it.

One of the things I loved about Steep was teleporting to the top of a mountain and just carving down until I couldn't go any further. The snow areas here seem tiny and all the events are super short. It's just not fun.

12 hours ago, Flub said:

One of the things I loved about Steep was teleporting to the top of a mountain and just carving down until I couldn't go any further. The snow areas here seem tiny and all the events are super short. It's just not fun.

Yep Steep can be a great game to just chill out in, I don’t see this ever being like that and for whatever reason Steep just looks and feels a lot better. Shame as I was really looking forward to this.

9 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

Yep Steep can be a great game to just chill out in, I don’t see this ever being like that and for whatever reason Steep just looks and feels a lot better. Shame as I was really looking forward to this.

From what I've played of RR the actual snowboarding is quite fun. It's just the events so far have all been a) very short and b) all about tricks. It also probably doesn't help that I only want to play the snowboarding part.

Yeah, there are a few fleeting moments of fun here, but this is a crushing disappointment after Steep - it's like they've leaned into that game's worst elements and took all the best stuff out. Maybe it'll improve once you're past the first couple of hours and it shuts up and lets you get on with finding your own fun, but the dialogue (even more so than Steep) is peak "how do you do, fellow kids". Beyond apparently being designed for players with the attention span of a gnat, it just *feels* wrong. On the face of things it's very simple and accessible but with just enough of a hint of realism that means it lacks the gleeful purity of a proper arcade game. 

5 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

My desire for a quiet, calm sim where I can explore America's national parks is not going to be sated by this game then?

There is an unlockable 'Zen mode', but I think that's only in the finished game. No idea what it involves, but there's a possible glimmer of hope. 

It’s quite fun but the handling is just terrible, the dialogue is even worse and it all seems a bit aimless ( just fast travelling to short challenges around the world, each with different criteria - finish on expert, hit 5 balloons etc). 

I quite like the sense of speed and the first-person element is cool but doesn’t work on all types. The handling of the bikes is just really, really bad. What’s worse is that there are some stunt trials, basically like trials but in 3D - which is really cool! Except when the handling just doesn’t really let you do it properly and you have to fiddle with turning, camera, a weird rewind mechanic.

Played some multiplayer last night. As far as I can tell, you only race against other people in mass races (32 people, all jostling and knocking each other off course) - the rest of the time it’s player ghosts which look like you’re in a real world. If you get in a party (up to 6) you can do events together, but only one on one (or however many in your party) which feels pretty lame. 

The snowboarding is the best bit, should have done Steep 2 really. 

I can see, what with all the furious action in this thread on launch day, that this landed with all the grace of Eddie Edwards. Well, I've got it. Don't know for how much longer mind, feels like another typical UBI game. There's a core of something worth playing but it's buried by a ton of shit.

I'll give it an hour or two and then if it doesn't click or all the dude bro gets too much I'll delete it. Yeah I'm a UBI+ subscriber, but what with this seeming a bit of a damp squib and Far Cry 6 crashing whenever I have the audacity to enable Ray Tracing I'm not sure how much longer I'll be letting them take £12 a month from me.

Oh, and not being able to turn chromatic abomination off on PC can fuck off an all.

Still kinda gutted about how bad this turned out.  If only they could have given it to a team who had a real passion for the subject matter, or perhaps weren't forced to Ubify it in every possible way, this could have been really special.

I agree with @amc that there is a core of something good in there.  Is the Zen mode open from the start in the retail version?  It was still locked in the trial last week.

TBH I haven't given it enough time to form an opinion of whether I like it or not, really. I'm just hoping the surface layer of UBI bullshit eases off and I can get on with the underlying game. I liked the actual racing in The Crew 2, just not all the faff around it. This, on initial play, seems to have all that stuff turned up to 11.

Gonna reserve final judgement on whether that makes the game not worth my time after a bit more play. I know there's a big audience for all that superfluous stuff but I'm pretty sure it drives me away. Well, I gritted through a lot of the Crew 2 so who knows what the fuck would truly drive me away when thinking about it. Probably be my game of the year in a week.

Chromatic aberration can still do one though.

39 minutes ago, Mr C said:

This forum seems to be the only place that doesn't like this game. Everywhere else I have seen has been mostly positive. Will wait for full reviews but polygon love it 

https://www.polygon.com/reviews/22745542/riders-republic-pre-review-pc-xbox-ps4

The first screenshot from that Polygon article made me shudder:

Untitled.thumb.jpg.763f4352e18a5103173453217f5219be.jpg

I'm sure there are loads of people who want that from a game. I'm just not one of them.

59 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

I'm sure there are loads of people who want that from a game. I'm just not one of them.

To be fair, right from the very first initial announcement video it's been big on the 50 player races on bikes / skiing / wing suits etc. If you ever expected it to be anything other than what's in the screenshot above, then that's on you.

On 25/10/2021 at 11:04, MattKB said:

The snowboarding is the best bit, should have done Steep 2 really. 

This. The snowboarding feels great (And is easier to handle than Steep). But the events and mountains are far too small.

2 minutes ago, T Pot said:

To be fair, right from the very first initial announcement video it's been big on the 50 player races on bikes / skiing / wing suits etc. If you ever expected it to be anything other than what's in the screenshot above, then that's on you.

Oh god yeah, completely agree.  See...

On 21/10/2021 at 15:01, catinthehat said:

There was this one bit in one of the early trailers for the game, that got me so excited for it.  Like, proper anticipation that it could finally be the game I wanted.  And it was like a 1 second clip in the trailer. 

Those couple of seconds of first person riding on that ridge.  HYPE.

Everything else in that trailer was everything I hate about the game.

Just now, catinthehat said:

Oh god yeah, completely agree.  See...

Everything else in that trailer was everything I hate about the game.

I think the issue is the fact that it's an Ubisoft game. I loved the beta and I did a bunch of internal beta / alpha tests on it too. I love the actual races etc, but as with all Ubisoft games, there's so much extra shite around it, it takes away from the main game.

I'll pick this up, but when it drops below £30.

39 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

Is it as vomit inducting as Forza Horizon 4? I couldn't take that at all.

It's like Forza Horizon 4 raised to the power of the X Games with a huge dose of dudebros steroids.