Immortals Fenyx Rising - Burp of the Wild

HarryBizzle

Looking forward to this.... reviews sound like this couldn’t be more my sort of thing of it tried.

Its going to bomb of course...being the third open world Ubisoft game released in the last 8 weeks and the only one without an established IP; although my eldest wants the Switch version for Xmas so maybe it’s had some market penetration 

Based on the reviews I'm getting the idea this is a functional fun and short Ubi-game on the one hand, with a lot of reviewers being completely flabbergasted by the fact that such a thing can exist, and thus start berating it for not being AssCreed enough while at the same time claiming it's too much AssCreed.

I'd say Ubi have finally reached that corner they were painting themselves into.

Based on what shimmers through in the reviews though, I'm kind of low-key intrigued now. But as this is a Ubi-title, I'll wait for the inevitable discount to a tenner somewhere around Feb./Mar./Plus.

And it stole the Assassin's Creed climbing animations from BOTW. And archery and parry-based sword fighting. Sickening, really.

(my god the game riffs on BOTW a lot, particularly in terms of aesthetic and things like the magnet ability, but seeing it get mocked for 'copying' the things BOTW took from Ubisoft/other sources in the first place feels a bit off)

51 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

It just struck me that the animations were much closer than BotWs obvious sources but I guess not.

Yeah, sorry if that seemed a bit of a fun-policing response - it is funny how close the two games look, and Fenyx Rising absolutely brought the comparisons on itself by cribbing so heavily in its basic concept/aesthetic, but I just feel a little sorry for the developers when so many of the influences are effectively back-to-front in terms of originating studio!

(the beginning of the clip has also made me realise that I would actually quite like to see a supercut of every major third-person adventure game's climbing animation now. Surely someone's made something like that!)

2 hours ago, Wiper said:

And it stole the Assassin's Creed climbing animations from BOTW. And archery and parry-based sword fighting. Sickening, really.

(my god the game riffs on BOTW a lot, particularly in terms of aesthetic and things like the magnet ability, but seeing it get mocked for 'copying' the things BOTW took from Ubisoft/other sources in the first place feels a bit off)

It’s probably time to do a Wiper BoTW reassessment in terms of how much they ripped off Ubisoft

I got put off by two awful Ubisoft games on the trot (Legion and Valhalla) and the reviewers saying you never really discover anything. You can basically see it all and any treasure or challenge is signposted by big glowing beams of light. 

12 minutes ago, footle said:

It’s probably time to do a Wiper BoTW reassessment in terms of how much they ripped off Ubisoft

I think BOTW is great; it's the one Zelda game I genuinely love. It pulls together strands from a host of other titles, taking some of the best concepts from a variety of sources, and fitting them into a gorgeous fantasy setting while retaining key aspects of recognisable Zelda DNA. I think it's a masterclass in pulling disparate ideas together, and absolutely worthy of great praise. Not every game has to outright innovate: taking a wide range of existing concepts and mixing them together to make something better/different is in itself a rare quality, in BOTW applied with rare skill.

I just think it deserves to be celebrated for what it is: a fantastic blend of elements, pulled together to make something outstanding and new; it doesn't need to be also be put on a pedestal as the outright innovator of everything it did.

Version comparison:

Nothing major here.. all 3 run well..

Series S (Quality mode) seemingly locked 30fps 1440p

Series X (Quality mode) seemingly locked 30fps 4k

PS5 (Quality mode) 30fps 4k - some instability (13m 35s in the video) where it seems to exceed the 30fps cap in some situations.

Series S (Performance mode) seemingly locked at 60fps, locked to 1080p

Series X (Performance mode) seemingly locked at 60fps, dynamic res 4k down to 1440p, slightly better draw distance and shadows than the other two..

PS5 (Performance mode) seemingly locked at 60fps, dynamic res 4k down to 1440p, slightly higher res in the some areas compared to Series X (1620p vs 1440p) but with lower quality shadows and slightly shorter draw distance..

EDIT - more analysis via VG Tech..

Series X/PS5 have minor drops of a few frames (at worst) below 60 occasionally with brief tearing, but only during cutscenes in Performance mode.. Gameplay seems solid at 60fps

Unlike the others, the cutscenes on Series S run at 30fps regardless of being in Performance or Quality mode..

In 60fps mode, Series S has occasional framerate drops just under 60fps with a bit of tearing. Seems fairly infrequent however.

All 3 use temporal reconstruction when needing to use a lower resolution rendering back to either 4k or 1440p..

The art style is hideous, the voice acting is about as Greek as I am, and the direct copying of game concepts down to names and animations is no better than what Zynga were doing with their cloned games. Any review not taking a seriously dim view of this last point is basically rolling over to Ubisoft's PR for belly rubs.

Waa waa other games had map towers before. Dozens if not hundreds of elements are a direct rip of BOTW, it's not like it's an accident or people are reaching to find similarities. Ubisoft absorbing the things BOTW actually innovates back into their production line open world games would be fine, this is absurd.

40 minutes ago, MK-1601 said:

The voice acting is about as Greek as I am

Not to be funny, but given that modern Greek sounds about as close to ancient Greek as modern English does to Saxon, I'm not sure that's quite as valid a concern as you suggest ;)