Immortals Fenyx Rising - Burp of the Wild

HarryBizzle

2 hours ago, Isaac said:

Given BotW was literally Nintendo playing magpie with western sandbox videogame concepts this post is fucking hilarious.

I loved BotW, and it's more than the sum of its parts, but the parts it lifts are not innovative, in videogame terms. They were just innovative when applied to the Zelda template.

LOL, OK. This is a game that would not exist if BOTW didn't exist, with 100s of design and aesthetic decisions directly pulled from it with no intermediate step of considering why they work.

Saying other open world games existed before is beside the point, it specifically copies how one game does things. It's about as convincing an argument as when Puzzle Bobble ripoffs claim they're making "similiar games in the same genre", that genre being one game, that they're lifting stuff from.

Setting out to make a better version of an existing game is a venerable tradition. Streets of Rage II wouldn't exist without Final Fight and Double Dragon, etc.

The problem here is that this doesn't add anything at all of it's own, and is worse and jankier in many regards. It's completely cynical. They could have waited until they could target it at the next gen machines, do some things that BOTW technically can't do. But BOTW2 would be out by then.

43 minutes ago, MK-1601 said:

The problem here is that this doesn't add anything at all of it's own, and is worse and jankier in many regards. It's completely cynical. They could have waited until they could target it at the next gen machines, do some things that BOTW technically can't do. But BOTW2 would be out by then.

How far into the game are you?

26 minutes ago, Benny said:

Has anyone made an I Can't Believe it's not Bottw joke yet?

Yeah it’s about as much like BOTW as well Geshin Impact is...it’s stolen the lush pastel tinged graphical style but it doesn’t really play anything like it.  Oddly it doesn’t feel anything like the AC games either 

I’m enjoying it but struggling a little with the controls, 20 years of muscle memory for attacks on face buttons is hard to break but I can’t seem to find a way to get light and heavy on X and Y and not break another input.

For those that are playing - and enjoying - this, do you think they could've marketed it differently to avoid everybody saying it was a complete BotW rip-off (as the first 3 pages of this thread did :P)? @Mike S's mini-review there has got me intrigued - I'm a sucker for Greek mythology - plus I won't be tainted by any Zelda comparisons as I've never played it (nor have any inclination to).

Be interesting to see if the full game keeps entertaining, so I shall watch this thread with interest.

14 hours ago, Mike S said:

I have played this solidly for seven hours straight and it is quite some time since I've done that with a new game.

Even going in with extreme prejudice based on the screen shots and BOTW comparison videos I was won over very, very quickly indeed. It does look like BOTW in stills and some videos to the extent that I was actively annoyed how shameless it was which, combined with a general dislike of the Ubisoft template (amplified by the awfulness and dullness of Valhalla and WD Legions) but when playing it doesn't really look that similar. All the Greek temples and colossi scattering the landscape and all the mythological beasties look great combined with a stylised design is far more pleasing to my eyes than the strive for realism. It's not the most flashy in terms of graphical techniques but it doesn't really need to be as the design is strong. That said it does offer some fantastic, detailed, landscapes that stretch away as far as the eye can see when stood on top of a giant statue doing some scoping and, at 4K and 60fps, with some subtle HDR, it looks very slick indeed. The weakest element is the player character who is about as generic as it gets.

It doesn't feel like BOTW either - there is none of the calm enjoyment of wild landscapes that game offers nor any of the sense of wonder and potential for limitless experimentation but this world is jam packed with ruins, castles, and plenty to do along with, of course, the trademark Ubisoft ever populating map. Whilst there is plenty of scope for exploration this is pretty constant on the action front with lots and lots of scrapping so it helps that the combat is fun, feels solid and is often spectacular, albeit a tad simplistic in terms of mechanics but that's fine and suits the game. I've also encountered a fair amount of gentle puzzle solving in the environment  along with a few vaults that have been getting pretty tricky in terms of manipulating objects.

The game also has a sense of humour that, amazingly, is not completely unfunny and, sometimes, is actually very funny indeed. The encounter with Ares, God of War is excellent but another early highlight was overhearing two soldiers chatting with one moaning about how his weapons keep breaking only to be advised that he was doing it wrong.  That awareness and knowing nod toward BOTW is fun and perhaps suggests that we maybe shouldn't sweat too much on the devs bing inspired by what is one of the greatest games of all time.

Bottom line is that, despite appearances and very low expectations, this is a whole lot of fun and I think it'll keep me pretty busy for a good while. It is far and away the best of Ubisoft's three recent open world games. I'm already looking forward to playing some more especially as I now have a silver horse with wings who looks cool as you like. The irony here is that had I not paid for a month of Ubisoft+ in order to try Valhalla I'd probably have passed on this due to how close it appears to BOTW and that would have been a bit of a mistake. Having felt a little short changed at the £13 sub wasted on Valhalla I am now well ahead of the value curve by some margin.

Fantastic write up.  It’s good to see someone give the game a chance rather than blindly dismissing it.  I’ll probably pick it up for its inevitable price drop.

I played a few hours last night and enjoyed every second.

I find the visual style quite appealing despite some parts feeling a little like a mobile game, i'm thinking of loot and reward pop-up windows.

I found the writing to be genuinely funny in places, but I accept this is going to be down to personal taste. It's all very lighthearted and fun.

Mechanically everything feels really good, from the combat which has a nice feel and feedback to it to the puzzles and the skills required to solve them.

I probably would have held off buying it and I'm only playing because I still have a week of Ubi+ left from Valhalla, but now I've tried it, I would not have been disappointed with a purchase from what I've played so far.

I don't disagree with any of the comparisons to BOTW and the reasons people would have been immediately put off by another Ubi open world map marker checklist game, but if it wasn't by Ubi, I'm sure we'd be going a lot easier on it.

Ok, I've got ONE Ubi open-world game in me, and I've just upgraded to a 1060 so doors have opened.

Should I go:

Assassin's Creedy Odyssey (Had a great time with Origins, but it seems to get hammered a lot)

Valhalla. Because I suppose it'll have iterated from Odyssey.

Or this? I can't decide.

39 minutes ago, Gabe said:

For those that are playing - and enjoying - this, do you think they could've marketed it differently to avoid everybody saying it was a complete BOtW rip-off (as the first 3 pages of this thread did :P)? @Mike S's mini-review there has got me intrigued - I'm a sucker for Greek mythology - plus I won't be tainted by any Zelda comparisons as I've never played it (nor have any inclination to).

Be interesting to see if the full game keeps entertaining, so I shall watch this thread with interest.

Two days ago I was looking at what little I had seen of this very unfavourably as I'm a big fan of BOTW and this looks so blatant in it's aping of some elements of that yet here I am in the odd and very unexpected position of waving a flag for a Ubisoft open world game - something I'd have considered highly unlikely full stop let alone for a game I was ready to hate and condemn. Had I not had the Ubisoft+ trial running I'd likely never have tried it so, yeah, marketing is a challenge that they may struggle to overcome.

I think it's maybe fairer to describe it as a homage/tribute to BOTW rather than a complete BOTW and it seems that is going to be hard to avoid when selling the game. It really does look very BOTW in places, it shares a lot of gameplay elements/mechanisms (plenty of which Nintendo lifted from other games), but I am finding it different enough to enjoy in it's own right with all those earlier distractions/worries either ignored or embraced..

There are a few little touches that I have come across that are definite jokey nods towards Zelda and which add a layer of credibility as they make it feel less of a by the numbers, shameless, rip off of BOTW tropes and more of a love letter. It really does feel quite different to BOTW though and, as such, is deserving of a few hours trial by even the most cynical. Also, as someone said upthread it is not like we have a glut of BOTW inspired games out there so I am plenty happy to play a bright, colourful, funny game that is delivering a lot of action and some enjoyable puzzling.

Given the absolute state of RL just now I am just plenty happy to have a game like this to play as it is fun and that is all we should really care about. It may not be especially clever but it is big and, for now, highly entertaining with a lot of satisfying gameplay loops.  Whether it can sustain that interest is a good question - I tend to lose interest in bloated open world games but this does seem pretty focussed on driving forward a story with the map clutter being mostly for challenges that lead to upgrades rather than endless sub-quests. Unlike other games in the genre, there is little scope for stealthy play so far - it is all about going in smacking the shite out of everything but that works for me. The pace has been pretty frantic since the off and that may get tiresome and exhausting eventually but until then...

As well as my silver winged horse, I now have a medusa helmet and breastplate and, consequently, looking pretty damn fly.

28 minutes ago, simms said:

Fantastic write up.  It’s good to see someone give the game a chance rather than blindly dismissing it.  I’ll probably pick it up for its inevitable price drop.

Highly recommend Ubisoft+ as you get this for £12.99 per month but, yeah, I can see this being reduced fairly quickly after Christmas...

13 minutes ago, schmojo said:

Ok, I've got ONE Ubi open-world game in me, and I've just upgraded to a 1060 so doors have opened.

Should I go:

Assassin's Creedy Odyssey (Had a great time with Origins, but it seems to get hammered a lot)

Valhalla. Because I suppose it'll have iterated from Odyssey.

Or this? I can't decide.

This one! 

I'm no fan of Assassins Creed but can usually get 15-20 hours of value out of them just enjoying the atmosphere of the worlds before being fatigued by the gameplay but I really hated Valhalla despite being excited about exploring the Viking world.

Alternatively, as per my previous post,  it may be worth a month Ubisoft+ and try them all before deciding which one is for you.

I've tried this on my laptop (GTX 1060) and it runs better than the Assassin's Creeds if that helps.

Just hit 5 hours and I'm loving this. The combat is fun, the puzzles are all the right side of challenging, it looks great. Thought I might be a bit Ubi'd out after Legion and Valhalla, but this feels quite fresh.

4 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Right, how about this for a take. Imagine if Nintendo released this. Same everything but the main character is Kid Icarus. This place would be losing its mind. 

It's surprising after the Starlink/Starfox mix, Ubisoft didn't try and fit Kid Icarus into this. It probably would have fit well. 

40 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Right, how about this for a take. Imagine if Nintendo released this. Same everything but the main character is Kid Icarus. This place would be losing its mind. 

If you take into account the "It's a Nintendo game with a Nintendo character in it, and nostalgia for Nintendo blinkers" factor  you can easily add 3 to any score no matter how good the game is. 

On 04/12/2020 at 13:27, Mike S said:

Highly recommend Ubisoft+ as you get this for £12.99 per month but, yeah, I can see this being reduced fairly quickly after Christmas...

Is this available on consoles or is it just PC? I know I could Google it but I'm a lazy, lazy man...

54 minutes ago, Gavin said:

It's available on consoles and I'm going to pick up a disc copy in the new year. 

I don't mind that it's copying Zelda a bit as it's probably my favourite type of gameplay. 

I was talking about Ubisoft+, which only seems to be on PC. Is Ubisoft+ a streaming service or do you play locally?

17 hours ago, mdn2 said:

It's surprising after the Starlink/Starfox mix, Ubisoft didn't try and fit Kid Icarus into this. It probably would have fit well. 

This game could very well be the result of a rejected Ubisoft pitch to Nintendo. It would be their 3rd project together.