IGNORED

Immortals Fenyx Rising - Burp of the Wild

HarryBizzle

On 04/12/2020 at 13:14, schmojo said:

Ok, I've got ONE Ubi open-world game in me, and I've just upgraded to a 1060 so doors have opened.

Should I go:

Assassin's Creedy Odyssey (Had a great time with Origins, but it seems to get hammered a lot)

Valhalla. Because I suppose it'll have iterated from Odyssey.

Or this? I can't decide.

Assassins Creed Odyssey*is well liked on here, aside from the fact it goes on to long but if you have played origins not sure how much you'll get out of it.  Going nice and cheap now when the sales are on so shouldn't cost you too much to find out.  Valhalla seems to have a fair few bugs so maybe wait for the updates to kick in or wait for a goty version later on?  No idea about this as BOTW didn't exactly grab me (burn the heretic).

*If you pick Odyssey make sure you play as Kassandra.

18 hours ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Right, how about this for a take. Imagine if Nintendo released this. Same everything but the main character is Kid Icarus. This place would be losing its mind. 

Interesting take.

I've gone from not being interested to wanting to have a go because of how it's been reviewed.

49 minutes ago, Mars said:

It's like a Ubisoft game pass, but with all of their games and is PC only. 

33 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

This game could very well be the result of a rejected Ubisoft pitch to Nintendo. It would be their 3rd project together. 

Sorry, hadn't realised it was PC only.

A

On 04/12/2020 at 21:19, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Right, how about this for a take. Imagine if Nintendo released this. Same everything but the main character is Kid Icarus. This place would be losing its mind. 

Yeah but if it were exactly the same other than Kid Icarus everyone would be wondering how Myamoto hacked Ubisoft’s servers to nick their open world design.

24 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Really!? You’ve never mentioned this before :o

Back on topic and this is getting closer to taking a punt, £38 US code and @Mike S previews making it harder to resist!

I'm still having a fine old time. 

Defeated the first boss and now pushing into a huge castle area. Still finding the humour effective and there are some things that are funny/odd that will be leading to me reading up a bit on Greek mythology. I need to know what's going on with Ares in particular as his current state is unusual...

1 hour ago, Shimmyhill said:

Back on topic and this is getting closer to taking a punt, £38 US code and @Mike S previews making it harder to resist!

Are you in UK?

£39.99 physical from Boss Deals eBay if you've a Nectar card. NECTAR20 code for 20% off ends midnight tonight.

Just ordered a copy myself after watching another vid on YouTube. Ordered MK11 Ultimate too. 

3 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Hey if you can mention how much you don't like Android or Naughty Dog games every 2nd post then I'm sure I'm okay with mentioning I don't like BOTW.

Yes, BOTW stole a huge amount from open world, western games, and ubisofts formulae in particular. 

But it condensed things, supercharged things, added back fun, added in challenge, ripped out the busy work. The density of ideas was staggering.

It had heart poured into it.

Does this have heart? Thats what I need to know. I am tempted...

I think that's harsh @moosegrinder 

Ubisoft have a clear formula for their big budget games and it works and there's a place for them, but they also made Child of Light and Grow Home and Trackmania and Zombi. I think they are a very underrated studio to be honest and Fenyx Rising seems to be a great crossover between typical big budget Ubi and creative risk taking Ubi and from what I've played they've pulled it of with aplomb.

Ultimately I'd argue that every game made has heart in it, as even the most corporate, by-the-numbers games will have (some) people pouring passion and love into the aspects they're involved in. But, even ignoring that and trying to judge a game by the way it feels, the way it puts itself forward, I think put out a lot of games with clear intent beyond design-by-commitee - as OHS notes above.

Even games like Valiant Hearts (which I dislike in its portrayal and message) and the Rayman games (including Mario + Rabbids) felt like labours of love. And that's obviously discounting their older titles, like Beyond Good & Evil or From Dust.

(of course, that's all a bit moot when everything we've heard points to a severely toxic work culture company-wide, but I'd not deride all of their projects as soulless)

Ok maybe not all, probably was too harsh. Nobody sets out to make a bad game (aside from asset flippers on Steam) and I've no doubt people are pouring passion into them, but if you look at the games released this year you'd be hard pushed to feel any kind of affinity to the themes or look of them or any of that nebulous stuff that makes you feel warm and fuzzy when you play a game that has that X factor.

It's quite interesting the games you both mention aren't recent games. (EDIT I think it's quite telling the game that showed the most 'heart' of recent Ubisoft games is Mario X Rabbids).

Also the new Trackmania can fucking do one for the fact that they're adamant it's not a subscription based game, you just "have to pay for it multiple times".

For what it's worth I quite like to play this, but I can't see me giving them money for it at any point.

3 hours ago, El Spatula said:

Hey if you can mention how much you don't like Android or Naughty Dog games every 2nd post then I'm sure I'm okay with mentioning I don't like BOTW.

Its hardly my fault I have taste... I did play through Last of us and the dlc this year, decent games outside the garbage controls, shooting and amateur hour story but not every game can be Nintendo quality or GOAT like BOTW I guess.

Ive watched some bits and bobs on this and I think this could be the Ubi open world game for me, just going to monitor the price and see how @Mike S gets on, may try a disc as a safety net option!

I went for this, and I'm not disappointed. So far.

Aesthetically, it's absolutely got that BOTW vibe, and the light-hearted look is much appreciated right now. It's an old formula with a new lick of paint, and I'm into it. I had no idea how much I wanted one of these games that wasn't incredibly po-faced until now. 

Pros: pretty, funny, puzzles are inventive, and the take on mythology is entertaining.

Cons: carrying/throwing mechanism is janky, and I'm still at the stage where I know I'll be good, but I'm not yet. There are battles that require perseverance more than skill, but they'll be swept up in seconds once I'm beefed up. It's also never as visually epic as an Assassin's Creed, and doesn't have the same sense of place.

Got it on 12.99 Ubi+, and it feels just right for this time of year. Better than 7/10. 

This is utterly beguiling... that transition when you leap from the island starting setting to the mainland (hmmm where have I seen that before?) lands you in one the prettiest setting I have ever seen in a video game.

So yes maybe it is BOTW x Assassins Creed but it has a real character and charm of its own.  The fluid combat is both a surprise and a delight too (I'm eventually getting used to having heavy/light on RB/RT now).

I rinsed the starting section aside from a couple of areas I'm clearly under levelled for and have got as far as opening up the next section of the map (yes it did involve climbing a large statue) and just trying to decide what to hit first.  Absolutely loving it so far

I liked the look of this from the moment it was first trailed as Gods and Monsters but I really didn't expect it to be this good

16 hours ago, Strafe said:

I’m playing the PS5 version on PS5 (I mean I got the PS5 boxed copy). 15 mins in and I’m not feeling any vibration at all so far - it’s all turned on in game and system settings and working on other games.

Anyone else?

Never change, Ubisoft