Ted Lasso - Apple TV show with Jason Sudeikis

dfq23

I am in such a quandary about this show. My technical ability beyond "Ted lasso stream online" is nonexistent (I blame Netflix et al for making me take my finger off the torrenting button), but I also don't want to start another subscription service because they're a capitalistic cancer. ALSO also, I don't want to do a seven-day trial in case this show runs for nine completely top quality seasons and I spaff it away on the first two seasons. 

But it is by far my most wanted for some time. 

1 hour ago, Starbreaker said:

I am in such a quandary about this show. My technical ability beyond "Ted lasso stream online" is nonexistent (I blame Netflix et al for making me take my finger off the torrenting button), but I also don't want to start another subscription service because they're a capitalistic cancer. ALSO also, I don't want to do a seven-day trial in case this show runs for nine completely top quality seasons and I spaff it away on the first two seasons. 

But it is by far my most wanted for some time. 

Apple TV is the perfect subscription service to drop in and out of. 
There are some awesome shows but it’s not high volume so just pay five quid and rinse it for a month then stop. Come back in a few more and repeat. 

Ted Lasso alone is worth a fiver 

21 minutes ago, jon_cybernet said:

I’m pretty sure  that was one of the extra filler episodes Apple requested at the end. It had its moments, but definitely one of the weaker episodes this season. 

Yes. When they last minute decided to add in two extra episodes due to how popular the first series was, we ended up with the Christmas episode and this weird one :D

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

Yes. When they last minute decided to add in two extra episodes due to how popular the first series was, we ended up with the Christmas episode and this weird one :D

I mean do get how they both seem weird and out of place in the context of the series arc. But why cant people just enjoy them for one off pieces of artistic creation?

So how much of that was in Beard’s head then?  I enjoyed Henry as his inner voice, “Roid Kent” and the boatload of movie references.  This seems like a marmite episode, which is fair enough given how far it deviates from the mood we expect from the show, but I think it still fits in terms of themes.  The show is so good at showing everyone with these quiet personal battles.  We don’t even know if this was a particularly downward spiral for Beard or he have these nights from time to time.  Out of everyone, perhaps he is the one that is most stuck and it won’t be resolved this season.

According to a thread on Reddit it makes much more sense if you’ve seen After Hours by Scorcese.  And the dropping of the keys is thought to be a reference to a 14th century poem:

The small man
Builds cages for everyone
He
Knows.
While the sage,
Who has to duck his head
When the moon is low,
Keeps dropping keys all night long
For the
Beautiful
Rowdy
Prisoners. 

I really disliked it for the most part while watching, except for the club scene at the end (the guy can hula!) and the joy of the lads on the pitch.

Will definitely give a rewatch at some point.

I think for me it would have landed much better if we’d spent any time at all with Jane and had a better understanding of why he loves her, because it feels their relationship up until now has been an on again/off again background joke. Without really knowing her or the relationship, it just felt the stakes were fairly low for me. I didn’t hate it or anything. 

About ten minutes in I thought 'Oh, they're doing a crap version of After Hours' and only saw the episode title after it finished.

It was nowhere near as excruciatingly awful as that Christmas episode, but I just don't care enough about Beard's relationship drama for it to work. 

You can see some of the arcs dovetailing in as we approach the last episodes, but I still think S1 was better,

Spoiler

Jamie confessing to Keely was properly out of left field given this season, but at least it made the conflict with Roy this week make "sense".

I worried we might be done with ASH but he's back. With evil goatee, evil black turtle neck and whispering into Nate's ear....