IGNORED

Ted Lasso - Apple TV show with Jason Sudeikis

dfq23

I think that was the moment I fell in love with it as well. And judging by my wife’s reaction, her too.

Just finished S2. Good ending to some arcs and setting up others. Nothing could possibly match the impact of S1 purely because the novelty is replaced by expectation but I still loved it overall.

• 2 weeks later...

Essentially Nate is a small, petty man with extremely low self esteem, mostly as a result of his relationship (or lack thereof) with his father. He felt like Ted built him up and gave him value and station and he thrives on that and it’s gone to his head. I didn’t like his arc either, but in hindsight it does make sense, even if it’s not my cup of tea. 

14 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Just finished episode 7. I hate what they've done with Nate.

There's been hints from the start that maybe Nate isn't the nice.

He was ready to rip on Ted/Beard in the pilot for instance until he knew who they were

I think that the first series - and the circumstances of discovering it - was just absolute perfection.  So any second series could only be a comedown.

I still thoroughly enjoyed it, laughed a lot, and the various setups and payoffs felt merited.  Personally, I liked the Christmas episode a lot and Beards Night Out was enjoyable once I clicked what they are trying to do.  It's a massively, massively reference heavy show.  There was a still I saw yesterday where I thought that it has to be referencing something, but I don't know what.

• 1 month later...

Just finished this a couple of days ago and I agree with everyone saying S2 is weaker than S1 but I still think it's among the best television I've watched in ages. 

I've always regarded Jason Sudeikis as a goofball but during his portrayal of Ted Lasso's panic attack and his conversations with the doctor, man that guy can really act. Overall, the cast for this show is out of this world, it's like they've found the perfect match for every character that has screen time. 

Can't wait for season 3 now, I just hope they get back on track towards the quality of season 1. 

1 hour ago, Rayn said:

Just finished this a couple of days ago and I agree with everyone saying S2 is weaker than S1 but I still think it's among the best television I've watched in ages. 

I've always regarded Jason Sudeikis as a goofball but during his portrayal of Ted Lasso's panic attack and his conversations with the doctor, man that guy can really act. Overall, the cast for this show is out of this world, it's like they've found the perfect match for every character that has screen time. 

Can't wait for season 3 now, I just hope they get back on track towards the quality of season 1. 

I don’t see how they can, to be honest. It has to be a different show now, because the main plot of the show and the arcs of the main characters (Nate aside) were essentially concluded at the end of season 1. The innate conflicts in the show’s premise were resolved happily. Now, that’s not to say that Ted Lasso won’t still be very good, but if this was a movie, it would have been a one-off and 90s Richard Curtis (look at that depiction of Britain!) would already be on his next project.

I’m happy that we continue to get more episodes, but it would have been the perfect one season show.

We just started season 1...and just finished season 1. We adore shows such as Parks and Schitts Creek and this might top them both for warm fuzzy feeling comedy. Its an outstanding introduction to one of the most likable characters I've seen in ages. 

Looking forward to season 2 but almost wish I hadn't seen this thread. I can't bare it not being as good! 

5 hours ago, PeteJ said:

Looking forward to season 2 but almost wish I hadn't seen this thread. I can't bare it not being as good! 

If you get a wiggle on at least you can watch the xmas episode at an appropriate time, it'll be better than doing so in the middle of summer.

Even saying that if you are sat watching it by an open fire with a tin of Quality St whilst wearing a highly patterned festive jumper and a paper cracker hat it will still seem a bit much and an OTT representation of xmas.

6 hours ago, PeteJ said:

It's just necessarily different, rather than "not being as good", in my opinion. They can't keep up the premise forever, and it instead pivots to something else which, arguably, was just as wonderful to watch. I don't want to spoil it so get cracking and stop reading this thread.

But, for after:

Spoiler

I honestly don't think I've seen mental health issues portrayed in such a meaningful way. Now, it's possible I just don't watch enough TV, but it was absolutely brilliant to see it done so well on such a popular show.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched both series this week and its quality isn't it? I didn't find it laugh out loud funny apart from the odd occasion, but I just love the characters, the acting and the dialogue. I do agree they went way too heavy on the soppiness in series 2 but I still enjoyed it just as much as the first series. The convincing writing and the acting really sell it though. Hannah Waddingham (Rebecca) in particular is incredible and they gave Sudekeis a lot of range to work with in season 2 which made me really appreciate his acting chops. I loved the Beard episode, I was very tired when I watched it which definitely meant I was in the right frame of mind for it, what a trip!

They've said it will probably only be 3 seasons which I think is a great call, though it will be hard to say goodbye to the merry band. Also Beard may be the best sidekick ever.