13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim

I would caution you to not go in expecting a masterpiece, or something showing "the infinite possibilities of games", as that feels like it'd be a recipe for disappointment.

Go in expecting a very polished visual novel with high production values and a perfectly perfunctory side of strategy game (with neither vn nor strategy element interacting with one another beyond arbitrary gating), and you're more likely to come away satisfied!

• 2 weeks later...

Don't listen to @Wiper, this is a wonderful game and probably the best production values I've seen in a visual novel. The music is fantastic and there are some lovely nods to scifi tropes without overly leaning on any. The game's story is engaging enough but the way it's told takes advantage of the media in a way most other visual novels haven't. The comparison with VLR is slightly unfair given that the gameplay is built around the escape room mechanic, which lends itself more to that style of story telling but I think Aegis Rim can at least be mentioned in the same discussion in terms of quality.

Also the pseudo RTS stuff is far too easy at first but the difficulty can ramp up if you haven't upgraded your units enough. And there's an endless mode after you complete the game, which to be honest makes it Perfect For Switch.

Would be my game of the year of games I've played this year but I also finished Yakuza 0 for the first time. If you haven't, go play that too.

No do listen to Wiper - this is an excellent game, one of my top 5 of the year, but it really isn't the second coming. It is an engaging visual novel, lovingly presented, with some fun but extremely unchallenging RTS sections.

Definitely do not go in thinking it is a Demons Souls level cult classic.

• 1 month later...

I picked this game up after reading the praise for it on Restera. Not played a game in this genre before so I went into it expecting to be let down.

What i played was one of the best stories in a game and a joy from start to finish. I cant recommend it enough. 

I am very much enjoying this. Don't get me wrong, I spent the first 8 hours or so wondering what the hell I was doing, and what was going on, trying to ground myself in both the story and the strategy game with little joy. But eventually, when I learnt everyone's names to the point I didn't have to go into the archives everytime someone was mentioned but not shown, I really got into it. Crazily Japanese, and I'm not sure about some of the story beats, but a lot of them are wonderfully batshit. Currently trying to keep the story and strategy game about level, both on 75% right now, but analysis way down only on 50, which makes me wonder what else is up the game's sleeve.

20 minutes ago, therearerules said:

I am very much enjoying this. Don't get me wrong, I spent the first 8 hours or so wondering what the hell I was doing, and what was going on, trying to ground myself in both the story and the strategy game with little joy. But eventually, when I learnt everyone's names to the point I didn't have to go into the archives everytime someone was mentioned but not shown, I really got into it. Crazily Japanese, and I'm not sure about some of the story beats, but a lot of them are wonderfully batshit. Currently trying to keep the story and strategy game about level, both on 75% right now, but analysis way down only on 50, which makes me wonder what else is up the game's sleeve.

The guano is rich though. I keep reinstalling the game over and over to use as a wiki because my brain still has the plot percolating on a backburner.

And completed. I had to spend a good number of hours after completing the game to work out what had happened, but really enjoyed it. It could have been clearer though- rug pulls are only really effective when you're comfortably standing on the rug, in many ways this made Lost look restrained. Some mega spoiler thoughts:

Spoiler

I actually thought there could have been fewer stories, which would have made some of the twists more impactful- I had an idea about the Shuba twist from fluffy for example, and one of the characters says you're in a simulation a long time before that comes true, making a lot of the events *shrug*. I did think it didn't need that Matrix twist, but it brought me around in the end. Also could have done with more scenes- I would have liked to see why Yakushiji liked Juro so much, it came across quite bunny boilery all that stuff, I really didn't want them to get together in the end (and then they were the end scene couple!). Also Tomi isn't featured in the 2064 battle events despite being there, which made it really confusing how she got into space. The massive gaps in time between the prologues, displaced times of events with the amnesiac characters, and poor flowcharting also make the game significantly more confusing than it needs to be. I didn't realise Chihiro was shot towards the end of the game until far into it, I just thought her clone had grown up and switched places or something. However, after a massive amount of work going through the analysis sections, I'm pretty happy with my understanding of what actually happened now.

Not as good as VLR, but that's the GOAT VN so not really a fair comparison. Just an excellent effort instead.

I don’t really know what I’m doing in the battles - I’ve only done 3 after the tutorial as I’ve been avoiding them. I got S rank for the first 2 then a B as I seemed to get hit loads more.  I just pick whatever move will hit the nearest and hope for the best. I imagine I’m about to start dying a lot!   

Don't be afraid to play on a lower difficulty until you get the hang of it, you can always replay them at higher difficulties later if you need to unlock more stuff. Remember to use your Terminal power, its really powerful when you are getting swarmed. Don't underestimate EMP type abilities for when you have a lot of incoming stuff. Keep spamming the choose character button when time is passing so the game will pause as soon as one of them is ready to take an action. Use Defend whenever you run out of magic points (you know what I mean!) - its almost always better than wasting time using a normal attack. You are early on so there isn't much point in offering more advice at the moment, keep at it!

Yup, EMP and kill off the shield generators. Also keep in mind that during character select, the more left characters are ground-based, while the more right characters are air based.

Or go for easy-easy mode: lower the difficulty and have Kurabe, Fuyusaka and Shinonome keep. dropping. Guardians. all. over. the. place. Having a small army of these will burn through most enemies with ease.

7 minutes ago, Triple A said:

Sentry guns are also OP

I might have actually meant those. :D Keep switching the names up with Guardians, Sentries and Sentinels. (Never mind the actual character names.)

23 hours ago, therearerules said:

And completed. I had to spend a good number of hours after completing the game to work out what had happened, but really enjoyed it. It could have been clearer though- rug pulls are only really effective when you're comfortably standing on the rug, in many ways this made Lost look restrained. Some mega spoiler thoughts:

Reveal hidden contents

I actually thought there could have been fewer stories, which would have made some of the twists more impactful- I had an idea about the Shuba twist from fluffy for example, and one of the characters says you're in a simulation a long time before that comes true, making a lot of the events *shrug*. I did think it didn't need that Matrix twist, but it brought me around in the end. Also could have done with more scenes- I would have liked to see why Yakushiji liked Juro so much, it came across quite bunny boilery all that stuff, I really didn't want them to get together in the end (and then they were the end scene couple!). Also Tomi isn't featured in the 2064 battle events despite being there, which made it really confusing how she got into space. The massive gaps in time between the prologues, displaced times of events with the amnesiac characters, and poor flowcharting also make the game significantly more confusing than it needs to be. I didn't realise Chihiro was shot towards the end of the game until far into it, I just thought her clone had grown up and switched places or something. However, after a massive amount of work going through the analysis sections, I'm pretty happy with my understanding of what actually happened now.

Not as good as VLR, but that's the GOAT VN so not really a fair comparison. Just an excellent effort instead.

Pretty much my thoughts as well.

Spoiler

I got the main gist of what was going on, but after the final reveals I just couldn't really be arsed going back into Analysis to figure out exactly what happened in what 'timeline' and the precise order of events. Partly that's because ultimately with the whole Matrix twist it didn't really feel that important, partly because it was just such a lot of info to trawl through and partly because some of the storylines I didn't really care about too much. I appreciate that it is all there in one big linear timeline for you to relive if you want to, but I didn't really care too much about the details, it wasn't like VLR or something where I really wanted to know how every event tied into each other. Still regardless of whether it is too complex, it's still a mindblowing bit of jigsaw narrative - just imagine the madman's corkboard they must have had showing how all the timelines and twists connect. One Youtuber recently did a 'let's figure out the whole narrative of 13 Sentinels' stream after he finished the game, going through the whole of the Analysis and replaying sections, presumably, and it took him 10 hours! No thanks!

Thanks so much for the tips! I’m just worried I’m not making the best of the insane amount of options. I’m spending all my points unlocking new stuff and upgrading what I use most.

I wasn’t really using turrets / guardians but I am now and they are really good. I’m only just at the last first wave battle so I’ve got a long way to go - I guess there are loads of battles as I seem to be very low on mystery points!

Another option is to 'grind' previously complete levels for upgrades. Especially when you do multiple battles without having to reset all the characters exhaustion levels, you can get a nifty bonus. Mix and match with difficulty settings to taste.

2 minutes ago, Laine said:

Thanks so much for the tips! I’m just worried I’m not making the best of the insane amount of options. I’m spending all my points unlocking new stuff and upgrading what I use most.

I wasn’t really using turrets / guardians but I am now and they are really good. I’m only just at the last first wave battle so I’ve got a long way to go - I guess there are loads of battles as I seem to be very low on mystery points!

I wouldn't worry so much, you'll unlock a lot of mystery points without trying. You can also unlock multipliers to make it easier for you later on in the battle modes, eventually you unlock all the mystery points you need and they get converted to credits.

• 4 weeks later...