Next Gen - What Are You Getting At Launch?

What’re ya buyin’, stranger?  

261 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, Marlew said:

20200918-064037.jpg

Another poll which highlights how unusually popular the Xbox is on here. I wonder why. 

Well, we're UK based and the Xbox is more popular here than many places. 

16 minutes ago, Marlew said:

20200918-064037.jpg

Another poll which highlights how unusually popular the Xbox is on here. I wonder why. 

We’re not resetera, are predominately U.K. based, a load of us have multiple years of game pass built up, we can reuse controllers, etc. that we already have making the cost of entry far lower than previously. It’s also worth considering that the exchange rate used in the U.K. on the series S is very favourable (1.43, if I calculate by adding tax to the dollar price - compared to the 1.33 used for the other three consoles).

it’ll all sell out, regardless.

I'm not particularly excited by either console till something more interesting than better hdr backwards compatibility turns up. The 3080, on the other hand...

On 16 September 2020 at 22:16, bear said:

Not sure about the PS5 right now, just waiting for Geoff Keighley to release a few more details about it. 

:lol:

PS5 disc and Demons' Souls. Haven't played TLOU2 yet so will pick that up alongside Star Wars Squadrons to try out VR on it. One X with Gamepass and a still unplayed RE 2 remake will fill any gaps nicely. Might wait until Cyperpunk gets it's next gen upgrade to dive into that.

I think Game Pass is probably the main difference around here. We're a forum where Game Pass gets evangelised and in the long term, buying both consoles is probably a lot more likely and if that's the case and you're going to get an Xbox at some point to upgrade your Game Pass experience, then why not at launch?

Where as with PS5, picking it up a bit later (hopefully) means a slim version and no paying £70 for a remake.

I'm still in the "neither at launch" camp, but the next time I see my brother (could be months away, due to Covid), he'll be taking my One X off me, as his original Xbox One is on its last legs, and I'll probably get a Series X.

24 minutes ago, footle said:

We’re not resetera, are predominately U.K. based, a load of us have multiple years of game pass built up, we can reuse controllers, etc. that we already have making the cost of entry far lower than previously. It’s also worth considering that the exchange rate used in the U.K. on the series S is very favourable (1.43, if I calculate by adding tax to the dollar price - compared to the 1.33 used for the other three consoles).

it’ll all sell out, regardless.

I'm not particularly excited by either console till something more interesting than better hdr backwards compatibility turns up. The 3080, on the other hand...

All of the above and the X is a better looking and more powerful machine. Also plays our old content. Sony's message re BC is a mess MS its business as normal.... And X-Stream too. 

From a hardware, software and service point of view there is a clear winner IMHO.

But this is a question about launch. I expect most here will end up with both at some point. 

22 hours ago, ChewMagma said:

I may be overthinking it but I am concerned that Brexit/ongoing economic situation is going to increase price and/or scarcity of ANY consoles so I want to get something now before that happens.

Never say never, but I do not recall hardware prices having increased post-launch in the past. Sure, the pound is likely to have a volatile few years, which may increase costs of more flexibly proceed products. That said, I expect that Microsoft and Sony have factored this in and world rather take the hit of needed than incur the bad publicity of price hikes during the generation, when it is generally expected for prices to fall.

31 minutes ago, footle said:

Not sure where resetera comes into it, but maybe DF are associated, I don't know. The previous poll I posted was from Chris Scullion with similar results. This forum definitely bucks sales and trends everywhere in being weighted so heavily towards Xbox. It definitely has many of the identifying characteristics of the XB1 subreddit. 

I assume it's an age demographic thing, as well. I wasn't on here for the 360 era but from what I've read again and again, a lot of goodwill and enduring emotional attachment stems from there, and the backwards compatible libraries only continue to add value. If I could play all of my Cave 360 games on any other Xbox, I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to get a Series console.

7 minutes ago, Marlew said:

Not sure where resetera comes into it, but maybe DF are associated, I don't know. The previous poll I posted was from Chris Scullion with similar results. This forum definitely bucks sales and trends everywhere in being weighted so heavily towards Xbox. It definitely has many of the identifying characteristics of the XB1 subreddit. 

I assume it's an age demographic thing, as well. I wasn't on here for the 360 era but from what I've read again and again, a lot of goodwill and enduring emotional attachment stems from there, and the backwards compatible libraries only continue to add value. If I could play all of my Cave 360 games on any other Xbox, I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to get a Series console.

There's a general anti Xbox feeling at Resetera. 

Also it's a much younger demographic over there and the fanboy shite is far more apparent. It's a predominantly USA populated site, go figure.

Series X for me.  Would have been a PS5 as well, but the presentation the other night along with the subsequent info dump (Dump being the appropriate word!!!!) did absolutely nothing to convince me that I need one right now.

Noffing for me. Not yet. I only upgrade when I absolutely have to. I can play all my games just fine right now.

New console hardware is a pain the arse rather than something to look forward to for me.
The excitement around new PC GPU's, I find even more baffling.

That's the boring truth of it.
Not gonna spit in the jelly, it's genuinely lovely seeing people happy and looking forward to stuff, especially right now! It's been fun seeing the hustle and bustle over the last few days.

but that's where I'm at and if there are other people here feeling the same, you're not alone :D

I like 1080p, I don't feel the need to push a higher res than that, when I do play the odd game that is a bit more demanding than the stuff I usually play, my pc is still sexy enough to run it at a higher framerate than I need. I'm golden. I've no complaints, no urge for more power.

The sort of carrots they're dangling as incentive to upgrade don't excite me at all.
If spelunky 2 had been a 2 year PS5 exclusive I'd have whipped out my wallet, or if Aleste Branch or something like that was announced as only coming to the new xbox.
It'd have to be something I really, really wanted to play and definitely couldn't get anywhere else and was definitely not coming to PC.

Had some luck with a PS5 pre-order. I'm primarily getting it for Demon's Souls and to play my backlog of PS4 games slightly enhanced. When I've played through all of that Deathloop should be out too. Also the UHD blu-ray player.

1 hour ago, Grobbelboy said:

Had some luck with a PS5 pre-order. I'm primarily getting it for Demon's Souls and to play my backlog of PS4 games slightly enhanced. When I've played through all of that Deathloop should be out too. Also the UHD blu-ray player.

I’ve never considered it because I use my One X for UHD stuff, but doesn’t the PS4 have a UHD drive?

6 hours ago, Waggo said:

Series X for me.  Would have been a PS5 as well, but the presentation the other night along with the subsequent info dump (Dump being the appropriate word!!!!) did absolutely nothing to convince me that I need one right now.

Other than the price, what info was dumped that put you off?

Nothing for me. I still have Yakuza 7 to look forward to this November on PS4 so that'll be where my time is spent.

I need a new TV as well, so might get that this year then a new console next year when they actually have games.

5 minutes ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

Other than the price, what info was dumped that put you off?

Miles Morales and Horizon also coming on PS4 was a big one. Plus RRP for PS5 games. 

1 hour ago, Pob said:

Miles Morales and Horizon also coming on PS4 was a big one. Plus RRP for PS5 games. 

Could have typed that post myself as this is exactly what stopped me taking the plunge.

The news that Miles Morales and Horizon 2 the  two games I was most interested in will both play on my PS4, so why drop £500 + on a PS5 until a game I want to play does not come to PS4?

11 hours ago, Marlew said:

Can’t say I’ve noticed any particular leaning toward MS this gen. If anything we've had more Sony chat. 

It could just be that (apart from one or two people) we’re not all a bunch of fanboys, are actually quite open minded and right now an Xbox looks like a better proposition? 

(Not to mention we’re mostly a bunch of old tight-fisted dads now and the Xbox is cheaper :lol:)

The last gen I've been PS4, vita, switch. This time around I'm thinking Xbox series X and skipping ps5.

Xbox = after not doing it last time around I want to catch up on all the stuff I missed. I loved my 360 and the original console. Microsoft seem to be investing heavily in original content.

PS = may still get one down the line. Sony have killed off or neutered their European and Japanese development for a long time now. What used to be the most diverse and interesting first party lineup is now threadbare in terms of appeal to me (I like racing, RPGs and strategy the most). It's nearly all US made action games, I appreciate they are well made but they aren't really the kind of thing I'm into gaming for. Really sad they closed evolution and Liverpool in particular. The stuff this week about no backwards compatibility other than PS4 soured it even more. I get that this isn't their main focus but they managed some form of it fine on PS2, PS3, psp and vita. All that stuff is still up on psn just not accessible. 

I've preordered

PS5 (with drive)

2 extra dual sense pads

headphones

camera

remote control

charging station

Demo Souls

Spiderman

Sackboy

will be preordering the XSX as well

Maybe an extra new style pad