Final thoughts? Lets all thrash it out

It’s the Series X for me. All this talk of £70 launch titles just makes the GamePass machine look even more appealing. As a latecomer to the Xbox One this gen I’ve become a complete convert, so very happy to remain in the Xbox ecosystem. 

So it’s Yakuza 7, Ass Creed Valhalla and a library of hopefully upgraded GamePass titles for me on day one, I’m very happy with that. 

Yep, maybe I’m a massive hypocrite. But at least Ubisoft are owning up to their mistakes, JK is just doubling down on her transphobic bullshit. I also think their respective offences are different. But I get that people won’t necessarily agree with that. 

I'm only messing with you, you do what you like. I'm not getting AC because I'm thoroughly bored of AC, as well as Ubisoft games in general. My ennui for them comes at a convenient time where they're also seemingly a bunch of scumbags I can't support, so it works out well. 

16 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Yep, maybe I’m a massive hypocrite. But at least Ubisoft are owning up to their mistakes, JK is just doubling down on her transphobic bullshit. I also think their respective offences are different. But I get that people won’t necessarily agree with that. 

Owning up to their mistakes by keeping a CEO in charge whose mates are all molesters? If you genuinely believe that Yves didn’t know about any of this I’ve got some magic beans to sell you.

11 hours ago, Super Craig said:

DIRT 5.

10 hours ago, Camel said:

It super counts being both a Driving game and a Racing game.

But what it doesn't count as is a next gen game, it's out on Xbox one and PS4.

24 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Plus I think there's a big difference between a company and a person in that respect.

--

As for my thoughts, it's the first generation since PS1 that I won't buy at least one console on launch.

But that's for both good and bad reasons.  The fact I have a better PC than at any other launch, the number of cross gen games, the lure of Gamepass...

But also because there's shit all that's generation exclusive.  At launch there's basically nothing first party generation exclusive at all.

SSDs can save them but they've made it very easy for me to wait and see from others how that works in practice.

23 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

It has all the signs of "we are sorry we got caught. we are sorry we now have to tell you we promise to do better in the future". I'm having none of it, fuck Ubi.

So for me I'm going Xbox Series S for the next gen initially.  Maybe not even in November though.  But it'll be the first of thenext gen consoles I'll get (eventually buying both plus whatever Nintendo launch next)  Bit of a testing the waters and also since my kids will be wanting next gen consoles it's going to be the ideal machine for them.  Will buy a series X a little further down the line.   £250 for a next gen console is still blowing my mind.  Kids and I are already subscribed to GamePass for years and the recent addition of EA Play and XCloud to the service is just incredible value. So on the xbox front going all digital isn't a problem.  I;m paying something like £3 a month to play all those games on XBox and PC.

PlayStation 5 I think I'll hang fire on for a while. The first party stuff will come but recent news that actually quite a few of them are coming to PS4 too and also PC means that suddenly that first party advantage for the PS5 is greatly reduced for at least the next 12 months for me.  I was going to wait a while I think anyway as I tend not to buy games when they launch and instead wait for the PS sales which are very good. You can usually get the first party games for 15-25 quid 18 months after launch and that for me is fine.

Initially I was thinking no I will wait but now that I have a pre-order in, I'm going to keep it. I'm going to get a PS5 anyway over Xbox because of the better exclusives so I might as well get it on release.

First off, I was never going Sony so you can discount my thoughts there if you like. Long time fans will remember my 2015 Watchdog escapades due to their appalling customer service. I don't buy Sony products anymore - that doesn't mean I'm not interested to see what they're doing and how it might affect the other options though.

With XSX being more powerful and no real taste for Sony exclusives (except the psuedo one of Persona games)  or the MS ones, I think that's the right way to go this gen anyway. If Sony had the more powerful machine I'd probably stay out of it rather than buy a 'second place' Xbox but with the combination of power, game pass and (some of) my old 360 games still waiting for me on an account I'm confident about my choice. Except...

I have a decent PC with a 1080ti in it. I'd hope/d that the new consoles might edge that out and maybe they will slightly but I haven't really seen it yet. I should sit it out for a while but I don't play a huge amount of games and the ones I do play - football, be it FIFA or PES - will be updated to new engines on console before PC. Even if I buy a 3080, the games I play most will look no different. It would be £700 to make CP2077 look nicer and then the shinier FIFA would come out on the new consoles and even though it'll be shit I'll want it. So that's why I'm in.

I have missed some of the modern conveniences of console. My PC isn't noisy but a fan will occasionally rattle and while it's quick to boot the instant resume features and having HDR that just works will be nice bonuses for me. Having my career mode in my football game 5 seconds away all the time will make quite a difference. No PC will offer that really.

Bit of a random question but I think it will help me...

I'd love to see shortish list of all the, say, PS4 exclusives, and Xbox One exclusives. maybe 10-20 for each that people said it was worth owning the console for. 

For cross platform, with the game pass service and price, it feels like Series X is a no brainer here. So exclusives push it, but I'm out of the loop, not having owned a 360, Xb1, PS3 or PS4 so I really don't know how to base the decision. I feel like such a list is a good indicator of what it's going to look like?

I’m usually an early adopter, but I’m sitting back and waiting on this generation. I don’t know if most big name games are heading in a direction I’m not interested in, or I’m just feeling jaded, but I’m not excited about either of these consoles at all. I’m sure I’ll get a PS5 at some point next year, but for now I’m going to hold off. It seems a lot of people have chosen to do the same (or will be forced to by the lack of availability of these consoles at launch).

25 minutes ago, cowfields said:

Bit of a random question but I think it will help me...

I'd love to see shortish list of all the, say, PS4 exclusives, and Xbox One exclusives. maybe 10-20 for each that people said it was worth owning the console for. 

For cross platform, with the game pass service and price, it feels like Series X is a no brainer here. So exclusives push it, but I'm out of the loop, not having owned a 360, Xb1, PS3 or PS4 so I really don't know how to base the decision. I feel like such a list is a good indicator of what it's going to look like?

PS4 has Bloodborne, the second best game of this gen. Xbox has gears of snore 30.

It really is a difficult one.

Games: PS5 (seriously MS, what are your 20 studios doing?!)

Console Prices: This all depends on what you're after. For a full fat experience it's pretty much a draw. For the cheaper variants, each has its trade-offs. The Xbox is cheaper but then is a lot less powerful. It also runs the risk of being treated like a second-class citizen by other games companies. The PS5 Digital on the other hand is a good price, but you're locked into paying PS Store prices which at £70 (€80?!) is insane. This brings us onto the third point which is...

Services / Games Prices: This leans incredibly heavily to Xbox by quite some margin. All the 1st party studio games are supposedly releasing on GamePass and giving access to a changing catalog of 150 games. The Playstation has this catalog thing they announced, but this seems restricted to PS4 games and no clue yet on pricing.

I guess it all depends on what your finances are like. For me at the moment with the way the job market is (I'm a contractor), I'm very much leaning toward an XSX + GamePass. It just seems to offer unbeatable value without needing to spend any more and I'd get a powerful 4k machine for £450, or I might even look at going the All Access route. I was looking at buying a PC but I can't justify spending that right now.

I didn't think Microsoft had an easy road ahead of them before this show but Sony has managed to give them an opening with some of the announcements last night.

First party games getting so expensive makes Game Pass look quite enticing and Horizon: Forbidden West, Sackboy and Spider-Man MM going to PS4 essentially wipes out the big advantage Sony was touting for the PS5. At least for it's first 12 months on the market. Giving Microsoft ample time to get a slate of decent Xbox exclusive titles ready.

Where these consoles are concerned, it feels like generational leaps are no longer a thing. Here's a console that's more powerful but will play host to the same games, and the same types of games, that the previous one did. That counts for the PS and Xbox offerings, exacerbated in part by the glut of cross-generational releases, but also due to the wider uptake of digital releases that carry over to the next machine. We're in the same territory as phones and computers, where it's upgrading is less about getting something new, and more about improving the performance of what you've already got. The PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, mid-generation boosts, just further cement for me that this is where things are going.

Generational exclusives don't do enough to counter this, they feel more like decisions made to justify and support the hardware, rather than the hardware being a necessity for the experience being delivered in the way that carried through until around the PS3/Xbox 360 era. I appreciate graphical enhancement, but I'm still playing games from this generation that blow me away to the point I find it hard to visualise what a proper next gen experience would actually look like.

So it's hard for me to get excited by this. The most tempting prospect is the digital-only PS5, because I don't have a PS4 yet have a whole host of PS4 games thanks to a PS+ subscription that I kept for the Vita/PS3 offerings. But I could just get a second hand PS4 instead.

The £70 a game sure does do a great job of making Game Pass look like an even better deal. And the surprise cross-gen announcements do deflate the games a little - which might be slight irrational, but still.

£70 a game is ridiculous (if true, I'm still dubious it's not chancers) but it will come down and I'm not going to criticise game pricing. Like my mum's birthday gifts, it's been the same £40 since the early '90s.

Compared to what you can get games for on PC it's madness, but I do think there's been a general devaluing of games for a while. Something that game pass and its like is both addressing and causing to some extent.

These prices are from the PlayStation Blog:

Astro’s Playroom (Japan Studio) – pre-installed on PS5
Demon’s Souls (Bluepoint Games / Japan Studio) – US$69.99/CAD$89.99/¥7,900/€79.99 (RRP)
Destruction All Stars (Lucid Games / XDEV) – US$69.99/CAD$89.99/¥7,900/€79.99 (RRP)
Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales (Insomniac Games) – US$49.99/CAD$64.99/¥5,900/€59.99 (RRP)
Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales Ultimate Edition (Insomniac Games) – US$69.99/CAD$89.99/¥7,900/€79.99 (RRP)
Sackboy A Big Adventure (Sumo Digital / XDEV) – US$59.99/CAD$79.99/¥6,900/€69.99 (RRP)

We're looking at £65-75 I'd say.

I'm only pre-ordering a Series X for now.

I was going to pre-order a PlayStation 5 full fat edition too, but the news about game prices has pulled me back from the brink. No way will I be complicit in any hardware manufacturer convincing themselves that this is an acceptable price for a videogame. If Microsoft decide that Series X/S games should be this price too, at least I still have Game Pass.

£70 is a full £20 over the usual price for standard editions of digital games in current gen. No way am I enabling this. I blame people who've been shelling out for massive overpriced special editions digitally, who have obviously convinced Sony that they can get away with it. Let's all vote with our wallets. I'll be happy to buy a PS5 when software prices return from La La Land. Even a reduction to £60 would be too much. Talk about pricing people out of their hobby...

PS4 man this gen. 

I'm thinking an S and game pass will do me for 2 years. With no need to spend any more money, except on Fortnite tat and the odd game on sale for £20. When the 2 years is up, I'll see if I fancy upgrading to the X/PS5. 

@Eighthours - not that I'm in any way arguing you can't make you own pricing decisions as you want, but it's not a £20 uplift. On PS Store, Avengers standard edition is £60, Madden is £60,  PGA Tour £60. And those seem to be the same on the Xbox store to my eyes. There's a variety of price points on there from £40 to £60 it seems to me.

14 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

@Eighthours - not that I'm in any way arguing you can't make you own pricing decisions as you want, but it's not a £20 uplift. On PS Store, Avengers standard edition is £60, Madden is £60,  PGA Tour £60. And those seem to be the same on the Xbox store to my eyes. There's a variety of price points on there from £40 to £60 it seems to me.

Ah, I've only been buying digital at £49.99 at the most. Cheers for reminding me that they've already been gouging us for some games!

Spent the day thinking it over and I'd be a lot more excited if Sony hadn't made the cross-gen announcement. What's even more galling is they then price the PS4 versions at the same amount (to stop people from cheating the system with the free next-gen upgrade I suppose).

I was set on the digital machine but £69.99 for a first party title? Pfft!! Even Destruction AllStars which I think looks great is a £40 at most unless they show more of it before launch and it justifies it's price tag.

I explained everything to the missus this morning and she said to buy the disc one. The £90 saving is wiped out if you buy one first party duffer.