Final thoughts? Lets all thrash it out

4 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

Where these consoles are concerned, it feels like generational leaps are no longer a thing. Here's a console that's more powerful but will play host to the same games, and the same types of games, that the previous one did. That counts for the PS and Xbox offerings, exacerbated in part by the glut of cross-generational releases, but also due to the wider uptake of digital releases that carry over to the next machine. We're in the same territory as phones and computers, where it's upgrading is less about getting something new, and more about improving the performance of what you've already got. The PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, mid-generation boosts, just further cement for me that this is where things are going.

Generational exclusives don't do enough to counter this, they feel more like decisions made to justify and support the hardware, rather than the hardware being a necessity for the experience being delivered in the way that carried through until around the PS3/Xbox 360 era. I appreciate graphical enhancement, but I'm still playing games from this generation that blow me away to the point I find it hard to visualise what a proper next gen experience would actually look like.

So it's hard for me to get excited by this. The most tempting prospect is the digital-only PS5, because I don't have a PS4 yet have a whole host of PS4 games thanks to a PS+ subscription that I kept for the Vita/PS3 offerings. But I could just get a second hand PS4 instead.

Ive found this generation incredibly boring for triple A titles, it’s just the same shite from last gen with prettier graphics. The most interesting games aren’t charging full price or really using the hardware, so it’s largely irrelevant to me how much they’re selling triple A games for on day one.

The flip side of that is that I went from paying £30 for new PS1 games, to £40 on PS2, to £50 on PS3, to £60 on PS4, so £70 doesn’t seem crazy. Inflation exists, and for something like Bloodborne (or Elden Ring I guess), or a new Elder Scrolls or FF that’s still fantastic value for the amount of hours of entertainment I get compared to most other things I could be paying for to entertain myself.

With so few big games appealing to me, I’m much more likely to wait anyway, as £60 is already too big of a gamble for basically the same stuff I already own, and I very frequently find myself enjoying new franchise games less than the older ones because there’s so little innovation. If it’s another gen of Ass Creed, COD etc being the big games I’m never going to buy them anyway.

Series X for me.  I was open to the idea of getting a PS5 as well, but nothing I saw last night convinced me I need one right now.  I will pick one up down the line, when games I want to play and can only play on a PS5 are released, but the announcement that I can play Miles Morales and Horizon 2 on my PS4 means that day may not be as soon as I originally thought.

I’m another that really wanted to jump on the next gen (PS5) train but hasn’t seen any games that make it compelling so am leaving it for a few months. 

I’m sort of glad the PS5 preorders are gone and likely to be in short supply before Christmas as otherwise I could have been tempted to order one in the hope that a must have game was out by Christmas.

I’ll sit it out for a while and see how the hardware works, how noisy it is, what the UI looks like and what games are out in early 2021, assuming brexit hasn’t added £100 to the price and we’re not eating badgers.

When I eventually get one it’ll be the disc version as those game prices are an absolute piss take.

7 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

I think somebody else said that the UK getting it a week later could be a blessing in disguise as well get to hear (maybe literally) fan noise and other potential issues.

I'd like to think that the press will have had actual hands-on experience and released more complete info on all this well before release day but based on how bad the pre-launch has been so far, I wouldn't bet on it.

It does feel like Sony just aren't ready for this, but have to get something out there before Christmas.

I really hope the hardware is right as whilst it would suck if the software wasn't all there, it could at least be fixed later.

After seeing what Microsoft and Sony have to offer, think I`m gonna stick with my PC.  The only thing that would of pushed me towards a PS5 is Horizon zero dawn 2, and with it coming out on ps4, that will do nicely :D 

TBH if i pick anything up short term it will be series S, as that suits my needs for living room and will be able to cross play game pass stuff (PC/Series S)

With me having a RTX 2070 and 2700x cpu, I`ve been next gen 2 years ago, so this launch is nothing that I haven`t already seen my PC do.  And with decent exclusives no where in site and Sony's expensive pricing strategy, PS5 has totally lost my interest.

I love the new hardware (PS5 design aside) and want it, but Flight Sim's the only next-gen game! I'd still buy one for their massively reduced loadtimes if I weren't 95% multiplayer, where crossplay's gonna nullify that benefit for ages.

It'll be great when exclusives with multi turn up, but that's looking like another 18 months. Meantime, there'll be no SSD-only matchmaking.

Could I get a half decent gaming laptop for £500? I'm thinking that might be a better fit for me than the PS5.

I have not been into PC gaming since the old Championship Manager days and I'm thinking about getting a PC to play a bunch of strategy games and games you don't see on console. 

I’m definitely getting an Xbox... probably the Series X since I have a 4K TV and the price here in Singapore is around £399 compared to £259 for the Series S.

Came away from the PS5 presentation feeling pretty underwhelmed - was hoping they’d have something more interesting to offer, either in terms of games or the services around them, especially since I think MS are doing some interesting things.  

I’m not that bothered about launch titles since I have lots to catch up on from the current gen, and I think where the MS offering appeals is that it’s a better way to play existing gen titles as well as (eventually) offering next gen titles.  Faster load times, quick resume across multiple titles, performance boosts - that’s my main reason for upgrading at launch, rather than to play any particular new title.

Can’t wait :)

9 hours ago, Ry said:

Could I get a half decent gaming laptop for £500? I'm thinking that might be a better fit for me than the PS5.

I have not been into PC gaming since the old Championship Manager days and I'm thinking about getting a PC to play a bunch of strategy games and games you don't see on console. 

Not a chance, sadly. A quick Google and the cheapest gaming laptop I found was £650 and it's not great. 

Laptops aren't great for gaming on, which is why gaming laptops cost a lot more than a standard laptop.

A 'decent' gaming laptop would set you back about £900 - £1700. You might be able to get a normal laptop for £500, but it wouldn't run much in the way of games, I'm afraid. You'd run into heat problems fairly quickly. 

This is the thing about pc gaming: you can build a pc that's far more powerful than the ps5 and xsx, but it'll cost you more than they do. You'll also struggle to build a pc that matches them performance wise for the same price you'd pay for a console; that's the sweet spot they sit in. 

16 hours ago, Broker said:

The flip side of that is that I went from paying £30 for new PS1 games, to £40 on PS2, to £50 on PS3, to £60 on PS4, so £70 doesn’t seem crazy. Inflation exists, and for something like Bloodborne (or Elden Ring I guess), or a new Elder Scrolls or FF that’s still fantastic value for the amount of hours of entertainment I get compared to most other things I could be paying for to entertain myself.

And don't accidentally rewrite history with mid generation price drops either.

PS1 launch games were £49.99 RRP.

With regards to Xbox, I find myself in a similar position to when the switch launched - because I skipped the Wii U, the Switch release landscape for me is verdant, and abounds with Wii U ports which I’ve never played. So too it is with the Series X, with loads of choice available on GPU which are all new, and enhanced thanks to the new generation of hardware. 

Couple this with the amazing value of All Access and I’m down to clown with Microsoft this gen, even though they don’t really have any new games to crow about. PS5 can wait, maybe even for a hardware revision. 

3 hours ago, Dudley said:

And don't accidentally rewrite history with mid generation price drops either.

PS1 launch games were £49.99 RRP.

That’s fair, until the tail end I was too young to be buying my own games. Resi 3 was the first I bought for myself.

I posted in another thread about this, but what I've lost this generation is the FOMO. I used to have the fear of missing out, to the point where I bought a Switch with Zelda despite not liking Zelda. I've bought consoles at launch most of the time and got into games on other people's recommendations that I knew were not my cup of tea but I ploughed through them anyway because I didn't want to miss out.  The first game I wanted to buy but happened not to was RDR2. I just never got around to picking it up for no real reason  but then it eventually appeared on Gamepass. I gave it two sessions, was impressed by it and then I forgot about it and never went back. This taught me something.  When The Last of Us 2 came out I followed the thread, read the praise and the criticism and by the time the game had dropped to £30 I already knew it wasn't for me.  What's interesting about these massive, story based games is that the experience of watching someone else play is almost as interesting as playing it yourself. I wouldn't watch a YouTube video of the first 45 minutes of Burnout or Mr Driller, but I watched it for TLOU2 and that was enough to scratch that itch.

As games get bigger and bigger, online world's, season passes and loot boxes create an environment where you end up playing one massive game at the expense of other games and you have to miss out on stuff.  I'd buy a SNES and a Megadrive because there were games on each I didn't want to miss but today you can't play everything , even if you stick to one format.  There's too many games and that helps me make the decision to not buy any next gen at launch, wait and see how it all pans out, wait for a game I really want to play, and relax until that day comes. I have so many games here, stuff I've barely touched, then a whole Gamepass subscription as well.  And the only game on the launch trailer for PS5 that I'm interested in was Resi8 that doesn't come out until next year.   It all makes me feel like I have lost my enthusiasm , but I haven't, I love arcade style games and there's more of that than ever, but the PS4 is very powerful and doing a great job at playing the games I like.

8 hours ago, Popo said:

With regards to Xbox, I find myself in a similar position to when the switch launched - because I skipped the Wii U, the Switch release landscape for me is verdant, and abounds with Wii U ports which I’ve never played. So too it is with the Series X, with loads of choice available on GPU which are all new, and enhanced thanks to the new generation of hardware. 

Couple this with the amazing value of All Access and I’m down to clown with Microsoft this gen, even though they don’t really have any new games to crow about. PS5 can wait, maybe even for a hardware revision. 

Oh fuck yeah, if you didn't have an Xbox One then for me an S is an absolute essential unless you hate games, especially with the slightly iffy likely PS5 first year.  You'll lose little walking into a shop and buying a PS5 for rrp with probably Spiderman free this time next year.

And if you have the TV for it, the X is still excellent value as well.

Hell I'd probably feel differently about buying either on launch if I hadn't double dipped for both PS4 Pro and Xbox One X which with my gamepass for another 18 months means I'm rather covered.

On 16/09/2020 at 22:13, CovisGod said:

I hate being this person, but I can’t justify spending out on either console regardless of them actually being fairly priced if there’s not a single launch title on either that really grabs me,

I can remember back the last few gens having to leave launch games out because I could only afford to pick a couple, with the PS5 I have no interest in Spider-Man so that pretty much leaves me empty handed,

First time in my life I’ve actually been to afford the consoles at launch without bankrupting myself and the first time ever I don’t think I’ll end up getting either

I’m such a dick :facepalm:

4EAD230A-91DE-4F9A-8AB8-4AEF2F1C6DD4.png