Jump to content

Hogwarts Legacy - TERF war


Recommended Posts

For a game set in the 1800s it sure has a lot of the same imagery as the movies, apart from not arriving on a train I bet there is absolutely no way to tell what year it's taking place in. It's going to sell millions. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The world of Harry Potter is far more interesting than the characters, and it feels more at home in the 1800s than in the modern day. The shot of flying over the landscape looked really good. I’m surprisingly interested. Hope JK isn’t involved, the horrible TERF bastard she is.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This can be nickel and dimed so easily Warner Bros must have been tossing themselves off silly at the possibilities.

 

Combined with putting any more money in that witches pocket and you'd have to pay me to touch this with a bargepole.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Broker said:

Yeah I didn’t think of that, shame.

 

I was going to suggest second hand but as @Chindie says I expect this game to have a volume and variety of editions and DLC it would make UbiSoft blush. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ryodi said:

For a game set in the 1800s it sure has a lot of the same imagery as the movies, apart from not arriving on a train I bet there is absolutely no way to tell what year it's taking place in. It's going to sell millions. 

 

Thats cause the wizzarding world never caught on with Muggle technology. Their world, even in the 90s where the books takes place is still stuck in the 1800s. They don't use electricity, modern pens, telephones etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Stigweard said:

 

Thats cause the wizzarding world never caught on with Muggle technology. Their world, even in the 90s where the books takes place is still stuck in the 1800s. They don't use electricity, modern pens, telephones etc.

 

True. They're so far behind the times that they're only just opening a Gamestation store in Diagon Alley

Link to post
Share on other sites

Like others, I won’t be touching this. I get what you’re saying @Stigweard but the thought of giving any money to Rowling to support her insane rants would upset me to the point I wouldn’t enjoy the game anyway. I’ll support people who don’t spread hatred instead. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I feel for the devs trapped making it for a paycheck but fuck giving anything to do with JKR money. Warner need to see the impact of the association and drop it or somehow divorce it from JKR entirely.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

Yeah, I feel for the devs trapped making it for a paycheck but fuck giving anything to do with JKR money. Warner need to see the impact of the association and drop it or somehow divorce it from JKR entirely.

 

Neither are able to happen 

 

WB make shit tons of money of HP. The Philosopher's Stone alone passed the billion dollar mark the other week with a re-release in cinemas.

 

On the other point, you're never gonna be able to see HP without thinking JKR.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, while I get the intent behind those tweets, I believe that rationalising it as such will allow that system to continue. For all we talk about the exploitative worker practices behind big games like Red Dead Redemption 2, Last of Us 2 and now by the looks of it everything that Ubisoft puts out, if they then go on to have absolutely gangbusters sales numbers, what pressure is there for higher-ups to properly change that system? It's still open to fuckery too, given what happened with Gearbox and Borderlands 3.

 

I'm all for wanting to support workers rights, but as a consumer I won't purchase something that I know has been produced by an exploitative company.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cheyenne said:

Yeah, while I get the intent behind those tweets, I believe that rationalising it as such will allow that system to continue. For all we talk about the exploitative worker practices behind big games like Red Dead Redemption 2, Last of Us 2 and now by the looks of it everything that Ubisoft puts out, if they then go on to have absolutely gangbusters sales numbers, what pressure is there for higher-ups to properly change that system? It's still open to fuckery too, given what happened with Gearbox and Borderlands 3.

 

I'm all for wanting to support workers rights, but as a consumer I won't purchase something that I know has been produced by an exploitative company.

 

What company has been exploitative here? The issue isn't about the devs its about the owner of the IP. I think you're getting two very different things mixed up here.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, I was referring to the worker practices that were documented across the likes of Naughty Dog and Rockstar there. In this instance I liken it more to the film adaptation of Ender's Game, where the original creator is actively causing harm towards marginalised groups. I feel bad for the devs in this regard as I can't imagine Rowling is *that* involved with this, but it's still something that she would benefit financially from and I can't bring myself to support that. Doubly a shame as I've mentioend to friends for years how a create-your-own Hogwarts student Action RPG is a mint idea. If only this was 5+ years ago.

 

Now can we get this same idea but in the Avatar The Last Airbender world?

 

Edit: I would argue that the point I was trying to convey still stands. We can argue that the devs spent years working on this without Rowling's active presence, and only now is her toxicity causing harm to the brand. But if as consumers we go ahead and purchase anyway, it's a tacit acceptance of her reprehensible views because she originated the thing we like, but we've separated art from artist in our minds. But she'll still profit from it, and be kept in the spotlight.

Link to post
Share on other sites

That Twitter thread, as much as I understand what it's trying to say, gets confused about its point halfway through (unless you've grabbed separate threads or something). Yes, I completely agree that no-one should be directing anti-Rowling sentiment at the devs etc of the game. They are not in any way responsible for her views. But that is a different matter as to whether or not one feels that they want to buy the game.

 

If I were a Harry Potter fan who felt aggrieved at Rowling's recent behaviour, I'd seriously consider whether or not to buy this. I don't see that this is much different to not buying an Ubisoft game etc because of what that decision implies about your opinions on things. She talks about "that Ubi shit all over again" and, assuming that her point there is isolated to people sending hate content to the devs at the ground floor, I agree with that. But if I don't like what Ubi does "directing my pain and anger where it matters" is quite easily argued as not buying the game. I don't see why that's much different if you find Rowling's views problematic - she presumably makes money from me if I buy that game, and I might not want to give her that.

 

It's unfortunate for sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a relief that this game is set in the 19th century, and not any earlier. If it had been set in the 1700s, we would have been cursed with the knowledge that instead of using toilets, all of the characters were just defecating where they walked, and magicking it away.

 

HP Canon says so!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Suggesting that not buying the game because I don't want to support a transphobic ghoul is 'actively hurting the devs and their livelihoods' is some weird, manipulative drivel. I mean, if I buy Hogwarts, that's fifty quid I'm denying another developer. Then what?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.