Jump to content
IGNORED

Hogwarts Legacy - TERF war


Doctor Shark
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, drmick said:

 

What's the well known phrase? I've honestly never heard the term before.

 

House slaves is the phrase.

 

Otherwise why use the "House"? And I don't understand why she wrote this in, and then had Hermione campaign against it, and then constantly had every other character mock her about it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Festoon said:

 

House slaves is the phrase.

 

Otherwise why use the "House"? And I don't understand why she wrote this in, and then had Hermione campaign against it, and then constantly had every other character mock her about it.

 

I just assumed it was a Dungeons and Dragons style of differentiating types of elf- house, garden, er...... kitchen?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you wanted to be very charitable, house elves or house spirits are a thing across various European folklore traditions. But they're 1. not traditionally portrayed as slaves and 2. JK Rowling's books seem to just be a slurry of unexamined prejudices.

 

So you might not want to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Festoon said:

 

House slaves is the phrase.

 

Otherwise why use the "House"? And I don't understand why she wrote this in, and then had Hermione campaign against it, and then constantly had every other character mock her about it.


a lot of Harry Potter, and Hermione’s arc in particular, was “muggle looks at the wizarding world  and finds it isn’t all roses”.

 

You weren’t meant to approve of slave labour.

 

and the prejudice wasn’t unexamined.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hermione's attempts to free the slaves was meant as a humourous subplot in the books, and something made fun of by Harry and the other "heroes". Indeed, the slave she did manage to free went on to be miserable as a result. Dobby's joy at being free was explained away by Hagrid as just Dobby being "weird", and that most house elves wanted to be slaves so it was fine.

 

It's all looked into rather well in that YouTube video a few posts back, incidentally.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Mogster said:

Hermione's attempts to free the slaves was meant as a humourous subplot in the books, and something made fun of by Harry and the other "heroes". Indeed, the slave she did manage to free went on to be miserable as a result. Dobby's joy at being free was explained away by Hagrid as just Dobby being "weird", and that most house elves wanted to be slaves so it was fine.

 

It's all looked into rather well in that YouTube video a few posts back, incidentally.

 

Hermione had nothing to do with freeing Dobby.  It was Harry who did so by tricking Lucius Malfoy into presenting him with a sock (clothes).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Aside from the obvious talking points, I'm surprised that people are dismissive of how the game is looking. I remember the old Wii entries, and Hogwarts Legacy is looking so much better than them lol I think not getting based on the books makes it look more interesting.

 

The dorms look amazing

 

 

So are we thinking that the Switch version will be Cloud based?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, fat flatulent git said:

 

Hermione had nothing to do with freeing Dobby.  It was Harry who did so by tricking Lucius Malfoy into presenting him with a sock (clothes).

 

Mogster is referring to Winky in the earlier sentence. Who is the slave that Hermione frees who is miserable because she can't be a perfect slave any more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, fat flatulent git said:

 

Hermione had nothing to do with freeing Dobby.  It was Harry who did so by tricking Lucius Malfoy into presenting him with a sock (clothes).

As Isaac says, I'm talking about Winky, and Hermione's SPEW (lolz) organisation she set up to try and stop the use of house elf slaves at Hogwarts. 

 

Like I said, Dobby is addressed as part of those subplot. Hagrid argues that freeing house elves would be an "unkindness" as they're naturally meant to be slaves and actually like it. Seriously.

 

Hermione brings up Dobby as a counterpoint, seeing as he wanted to be free, which Hagrid handwaves away by stating "every group has its weirdos" or something like that.

 

And yes, Winky was shown to be miserable after she was freed, because house elves really are born to be slaves and that's not a problematic idea at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly I have been avoiding posting on here because it is sort of about discussing the game but then mostly about discussing JK Rowling which I feel should be another thread. This is a video game thread in the video game section so I feel it should be us discussing the game that has been shown.

 

I get the concerns and issues related to JK Rowlings views but I can also appreciate the time and energy a large number of people have put into the wizarding world, the games, stories, the films etc so I can somewhat separate the 2 to some extent. Yes she might continue to make money off the franchise and that's unfortunate but there's little that can be done in that regard so it's something the fans of the Harry Potter books / world have to stomach. Many of the high profile names that have worked on the series and put in an awful lot of their lives have spoken out against Rowling i.e. the 3 main actors from the films.

 

I'm quite a fan of it all and I sat and watched the state of play with my wife who is equally a big HP fan but not much of a gamer. This is one of the few times she has said she want's to be involved with this one, whether that's watching me play through and then her doing so at a later date or whatever.

 

As a game I can appreciate it doesn't bring a lot that's new to video gaming, it's a big open world, with lots of quests and a mainline story (most likely lot's and lot's of fetch quests). However I played the original games when I was younger and loved them and much in the same vain that I loved Pokemon when I was younger, wanting and hoping for something modern has always been there. With Pokemon we got Arceus which ticks so many boxes (it still falls a little short but headed in the right direction) and I feel this will give the same feel for the HP series.

 

The visuals look a little dated at a glance but the idea of learning magic, exploring Hogwarts in a way that hasn't been possible before and experiencing many of the things from the main films as well as seeing creatures from fantastic beasts sounds pretty fun.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It looks derivative as fuck, which is probably why people are moving on to other elements related to the news. 

 

You could make an excellent and 'mainstream safe' game based on Harry Potter that wouldn't need to be as lazy and shit looking. 

It might end up being simplistic fun like the lego games but doesn't seem to have an inch of the charm of those games. Or even the lego HP games themselves. 

 

It will still sell a lot but even if JK wasn't a horrible transphobe, it would still look lazy and bad. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, macosx said:

Never heard the phrase.

 

How???? Not a dig at you, if you've genuinely didn't take note of the phrase until now then fair enough. I'm just amazed you managed to go through high school history classes without hearing it and subsequently decades of absorbing popular media. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't say I'm familiar with "house slave" as a thing either, but for what it's worth I doubt that's what Rowling was referencing with house elves. They're elves for your house.

 

I also don't believe that house elves imply JK Rowling is actually in favour of slavery either. House elves were introduced with Dobby, who was enslaved against his will and was delighted at his eventual freedom. However as the Shaun video points out, this left Rowling in a situation where she'd introduced the widespread slavery of an entire race into her universe and had to deal with it somehow.

 

Rather than turn it into an issue for the heroes to solve, she decided to wave it away by deciding that most house elves were actually really into the whole slavery thing, pushing it all aside and allowing her to focus on the story she wanted to tell. Of course, she managed to have a pop at political activism along the way, portraying Hermione's attempts to end slavery (what is she like, eh?) as an annoyance and even an "unkindness".

 

So it doesn't indicate that Rowling is pro-slavery, but it is one of a few examples that indicate that she's very much against anything that challenges the status quo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not heard of 'House Slaves' either, or if I have it never registered. I always thought the House Elves were an extension of the Brownie Folklore, I used to have a book on folklore as a kid and it had a part about Brownies that would live in your house and do all the tidying up over night, as a kid I thought that was kinda cool but can see it being a bit slavey I guess. Tho the house owners would leave out food so they were more like paid cleaners than slaves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Luseth said:

Honestly I have been avoiding posting on here because it is sort of about discussing the game but then mostly about discussing JK Rowling which I feel should be another thread. This is a video game thread in the video game section so I feel it should be us discussing the game that has been shown.

 

The recent politics folder thing seems to have many believing it can't be separated, as it's necessarily interwoven throughout the forum. That said, I do hate megathreads and we're probably discussing JKR elsewhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mogster said:

I can't say I'm familiar with "house slave" as a thing either, but for what it's worth I doubt that's what Rowling was referencing with house elves. They're elves for your house.

 

I also don't believe that house elves imply JK Rowling is actually in favour of slavery either. House elves were introduced with Dobby, who was enslaved against his will and was delighted at his eventual freedom. However as the Shaun video points out, this left Rowling in a situation where she'd introduced the widespread slavery of an entire race into her universe and had to deal with it somehow.

 

Rather than turn it into an issue for the heroes to solve, she decided to wave it away by deciding that most house elves were actually really into the whole slavery thing, pushing it all aside and allowing her to focus on the story she wanted to tell. Of course, she managed to have a pop at political activism along the way, portraying Hermione's attempts to end slavery (what is she like, eh?) as an annoyance and even an "unkindness".

 

So it doesn't indicate that Rowling is pro-slavery, but it is one of a few examples that indicate that she's very much against anything that challenges the status quo.

 

Or, more simply, she's a Tory.

 

And when challenged on anything she didn't think through, tends to double down rather than reflect.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, b00dles said:

It looks derivative as fuck, which is probably why people are moving on to other elements related to the news. 

 

 

But most games (especially big budget games which like to play things safe) are lool. But I think that the world itself is looking interesting enough that it is exciting.

I am just waiting until I can get that full immersion in VR  - even if it's 30 years from now and I am an old man, I am going to Hogwarts damn it!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TomatoConvenienceStore said:

 

But most games (especially big budget games which like to play things safe) are lool. But I think that the world itself is looking interesting enough that it is exciting.

I am just waiting until I can get that full immersion in VR  - even if it's 30 years from now and I am an old man, I am going to Hogwarts damn it!

 

 

I. AM. LOOL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

How???? Not a dig at you, if you've genuinely didn't take note of the phrase until now then fair enough. I'm just amazed you managed to go through high school history classes without hearing it and subsequently decades of absorbing popular media. 

 

I only did history in years 12-14 at school. Apart from WW1 and Henry VIII I think the rest of it was just local history. I've never been taught about WW2 even.

 

Even now, without cheating, I'm not even sure which bit of history house slaves belongs to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, drmick said:

 

I only did history in years 12-14 at school. Apart from WW1 and Henry VIII I think the rest of it was just local history. I've never been taught about WW2 even.

 

Even now, without cheating, I'm not even sure which bit of history house slaves belongs to.

 

Rome, for starters. Owned people to do all the work. Also had to have sex with the owners. All under threat of expulsion and death as they were property of their owners.

 

Also, America. Same deal.

 

Egypt too.

 

The economy of the world had a large component of the capture and profit-making in enslaving and selling slaves for thousands of years.

 

Rowling would have to be immensely dim to portray this without making the realisation of it's essential unfairness and evil a proper part of the plot. Instead she lazily went for 'they like it - lol' which was actually an argument put forward by many in Britain, France and America (to name but three) for prolonging slavery - on the basis that their economic circumstances were improving or that they were too stupid to need freedom.

 

Frankly, I've met Americans who basically still think African Americans are less intelligent because of arguments started in slavery times. Even Jordo Peterson is occasionally at it rabitting on about IQ.

 

Rowling also seem to be mocking the one character who had a problen with it as a 'do-gooder' which is frankly baffling.

 

Anyway, videogames.

 

Looks average.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.