IGNORED

Hogwarts Legacy - TERF war

Doctor Shark

I mean, it is an opinion, but a shitty, regressive one. Which she's entitled to, so two fingers to those who complain about cancel culture and vote with your wallet. 

If people want to enjoy these platforms to have massive, immediate audiences for their opinions, they can also accept when folks band together to tell them to get to fuck. 

• 4 months later...

This revelation makes no difference in this household as JK’s views have made led to us no longer spending money on the Harry Potter licence. 

What is of interest is that WB is apparently all good with this according to the lead producer (over at Reset they’re disputing that he’s the design lead.)

That might make a difference as to what we spend our dosh on in the future.

Ah just go buy Noita instead! That game's got so many wand building features you can (if you know what your doing) legitimately make yourself invincible, destroy the map or even crash the game.

It actually saddens me just how unknown this revolutionary gem is.

https://www.polygon.com/2021/2/24/22299095/harry-potter-jk-rowling-hogwarts-legacy-wb-games-troy-leavitt-youtube-resetera?

In 2018, Leavitt said that, while Warner Bros. does not endorse things said on his channel, “at least they seem more concerned with making good games than with pushing some kind of a social justice agenda, so there is hope.”

There you go.

ResetEra, a popular video game forum known for constantly surfacing leaks and industry news, is now attracting attention following a moderation decision taken by the site’s moderation staff. After deliberating on both Rowling’s history of transphobic comments and Leavitt’s YouTube channel, ResetEra admins decided to ban all promotional discussions of the game going forward.

If anyone complains about the modding here they might want to look at the above.

On 21/02/2021 at 21:07, Unofficial Who said:

What is of interest is that WB is apparently all good with this

Hmm, well I think there's a bit of a difference between WB endorsing something and having loads of investment sunk into something that they can't at this point in time get out of without a messy and costly legal battle.

I would be very surprised if the license is renewed or Portkey are still around in the long term.

Lucky for me WB are pretty easy to boycott at the moment (I have no interest in Mortal Kombat, and can take or leave Arkham rehashes).

GI.biz's reporting on this predictably drew a load of gater pricks out of the woodwork. Mostly anonymous teenage nobends of course, but I did see someone from Sumo Digital piping up to defend Leavitt. Depressing.

I just did a deep dive into a lot of this Leavitt 'news' .

Wow, there are a lot of people really out to present an damaging narrative here. It's really a non story. The HoegLaw video on the subject is very in depth, though incredibly long. 

And resetera, that forum... Has it's issues. 

All that said, I'm gassed to play this game. Looks bloody great.

"lead designer Troy Leavitt once kept a YouTube channel full of far-right content"

a defense of men who were accused of sexual harassment, a defense of cultural appropriation, and discussions on whether or not “thought crimes” are a real thing.  Some videos were also sympathetic of the Gamergate movement, which harasses women and marginalized groups in the video game industry under the guise of journalism ethics.

Look, the guy's clearly a bit of a dick, and I have no doubt he's got opposing views to me on the issues listed, but this shift to describing these things as "far right" is ridiculous and harmful to the arguments as a whole.  The things listed here are all things around which it is possible to have legitimate discussions with differing opinions.  The more people who simply have conservative views are branded "far right" by people like Polygon just for not being left-wing, the more of them will actually be pushed into the arms of the actual far right, thus swelling their numbers and making them even more dangerously radicalised.

1 hour ago, Broker said:

Defending sexual harassment is an extreme sexist view. Sexism is a common right wing ideology and this is an extreme version of it. Defending cultural appropriation is a racist attitude. Racism is a common right wing ideology and this is an extreme version of it. The idea of thought crimes is a common talking point amongst right wing YouTube personalities. 

They’re all right wing ideas, and pretty extreme versions of them. Gamer gate is a fundamentally sexist movement that bought a lot of right wing ideas into wider discussion and popularised them. The guys ideas are clearly right wing and pretty “far” along that path so I don’t see what the issue with labelling them as such is, unless of course you hold those views but don’t like being labelled as far right. 

There is no legitimate discussion to be had around sexually harassing women or driving them out of work places. If those are things you’re comfortable with discussing and don’t immediately condemn, you’re a sexist and that’s on you. Cultural appropriation is a more nuanced subject because it’s harder to pin down, but there’s still an easy baseline where aspects of it are clearly wrong unless you’re a racist. 

That's a far reach in terms of what has been presented though. There is a lot of content on that channel, and I skimmed through a few of them, but I didn't see anything that was as extreme as that, not maybe I didn't look at the specific videos that people have issues with.

P.s. I also think in the grand scheme of things no one will really care.

It's a harry potter game.. and looks like a good one at that. This is going to be a big seller.

2 hours ago, Broker said:

Defending sexual harassment is an extreme sexist view. Sexism is a common right wing ideology and this is an extreme version of it. Defending cultural appropriation is a racist attitude. Racism is a common right wing ideology and this is an extreme version of it. The idea of thought crimes is a common talking point amongst right wing YouTube personalities. 

They’re all right wing ideas, and pretty extreme versions of them. Gamer gate is a fundamentally sexist movement that bought a lot of right wing ideas into wider discussion and popularised them. The guys ideas are clearly right wing and pretty “far” along that path so I don’t see what the issue with labelling them as such is, unless of course you hold those views but don’t like being labelled as far right. 

Besides, both GamerGate and the Gender Critical movement both lean into conspiracy theories about shadowy plots masterminded by the Jewish people; there’s a strong argument that both GG and GC are at least partially inspired by the old cultural Marxism conspiracy theory, sharing many similar tropes.

2 hours ago, Broker said:

There is no legitimate discussion to be had around sexually harassing women or driving them out of work places. If those are things you’re comfortable with discussing and don’t immediately condemn, you’re a sexist and that’s on you. Cultural appropriation is a more nuanced subject because it’s harder to pin down, but there’s still an easy baseline where aspects of it are clearly wrong unless you’re a racist. 

The article doesn't allege that he defends sexual harrassment though - if that's what he did then that would be outrageous, but if he's just arguing for the rights of the accused to a fair trial that could be slightly different.  There's a world of difference between the dickheads who argue that the harassment itself is ok, and the people who push back against the idea that allegation = guilty.

'Cultural appropriation' has been used as a term to cover everything from 'blacking up' to whether it's inappropriate for white people to have dreadlocks.  One is clearly unacceptable while another would, to the vast majority I expect, not be considered racist.  As you say, it's nuanced and people with differing views on it should be allowed to discuss those.  Should Rihanna be allowed to do a photoshoot in traditional Indian clothes?  There's a debate to be had there, not a clear right and wrong.

Gamergate, whilst standing contrary to everything I personally believe, is nevertheless too broad a movement to simply be branded "far right" in my opinion.  I think anyone who's far right would support gamergate, but not everyone who supports gamergate would support the far right.  I agree fully that Gamergate (and the ongoing overall 'culture war') has been used by the far right to drag people into their ideology.  But that happens because it does not appear in itself inherently extreme - presenting a 'reasonable' facade to draw people in, and that means there can be people attracted to it and subsequently caught in that umbrella who aren't far-right, never want to be, and never will be.  Guilt by assocation with a movement so undefined is very dangerous.

My overall point is not that this guy isn't far right - maybe a deep dive into his videos would uncover the fact that he's a BNP/EDL bellend.  But based on what the article actually states, there's also an equally strong chance that he's simply right of centre, maybe a bit of an insenstive dickhead - neither things which would suggest he shouldn't be allowed to continue in his job.  And as much as I may then disagree with where he sits on the political spectrum, and might even find him to be a total prick, does that deserve this amount of criticism?  Maybe, but if the article wants to brand him as far right, and he indeed is, then it needs to evidence that, not just reference things in such a vague fashion that he might just be a bit of a tory.  Because as fun as it is to brand all tories cunts and nazis at times, it's not actually going to get us anywhere, because it simply entrenches their opinion that the left is utterly unreasonable too.

To add, few (if anyone) have pointed to anything the guy said that really even comes close to headline worthy, it's just clickbait articles with no depth and soundbites on twitter and, on reflection, mostly a waste of my time looking any of it up.  I cited the hoeg video because he took time to actually explore the issues to some extent.

Clearly someone doesn't like the guy and is creating a mountain out of a molehill, or maybe it's a way of trying to add flames to JK/Harry Potter thing, idk. Shame because it *does* look like a great game.

I think it might be useful to this discussion to describe him as “alt-right”, given that the subject matter of his YouTube channel is squarely in that wheelhouse and it avoids the unhelpful quantitative picture that “far right” suggests. (How far is far?)

And we are all so very, very tired of the alt right.