IGNORED

Monster Hunter: Rise & MH Stories 2. Switch bound. March 2021. Featuring doggo.

HarMGM

I was thinking earlier that the Shrine Ruins map and the jumping around everywhere had a very Sekiro vibe to it. I don't recall fighting big dinosaurs in Sekiro, however. I suppose there's a giant ape and an even bigger snake, though.

New question: how do you draw your sword without doing an attack. Is that possible? If I wanted to draw my long sword then go straight into a jumping wirebug attack, for example, without attacking thin air first of all so that my sword is drawn.

Well this is as joyful as I’d hoped. I’ve done nothing but Sekiro (love the post above) Demon Souls and Nioh 2 this year to this is a nice change of tone!! Albeit just as git gud. Had a lovely few hours with Randoms yesterday evening mopping up 2* quests. Are there clubs / guilds in this for rllmuk play? Would love to do it with a gang.

Finally. Though thinking about it £90 is a bit steep. Even at full RRP the game Is £49.99 and the amiibo RRP’s at £21.99.

That’s an expensive set of dlc armour and metal pin and you don’t even get a steel book.

132765F2-5F14-476A-A784-210DC231C2DB.jpeg

Guys ...

GUYS!

My girlfriend and I just finished our fortnightly Zoom Trivial Pursuit session with another couple, friends of hers, and we sat down to do whatever. She wanted to watch that Britney Spears documentary, so I was playing Rise on the Switch as she was watching.

I had mentioned how I would love her to also play. She said "So, show me?" Now, we've had a bottle of wine, so it's not the best time to learn to play. Also, I realise that this may also have caused her to say it at all. But ...

I AM SO FUCKING HYPRED RIGHT NOW! I would buy her a Switch today if she got on board. How the hell do I play this?

1 hour ago, Strafe said:

Finally. Though thinking about it £90 is a bit steep. Even at full RRP the game Is £49.99 and the amiibo RRP’s at £21.99.

That’s an expensive set of dlc armour and metal pin and you don’t even get a steel book.

132765F2-5F14-476A-A784-210DC231C2DB.jpeg

Pic of the Inclus please?

I'm entirely back in love with this again now. Charging towards a monster on your dog, springing from its back at the last moment and then doing a plunging attack on top of the monster's head before proceeding to WRECK SHIT UP with the hunting horn is fantastic.

10 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Pic of the Inclus please?

The game card case is the same as the standard edition but includes a couple of DLC scratch cards (though the us version seems to have a different cover, the deluxe version). Leaving the stickers and badge sealed for now.

4 minutes ago, Strafe said:

The game card case is the same as the standard edition but includes a couple of DLC scratch cards (though the us version seems to have a different cover, the deluxe version). Leaving the stickers and badge sealed for now.

Sorry, I was just messing.

I wanted to see the Incus that is included...

Gah, I want to get into this but just as this came out the last Paper Mario game has sunk its claws into me and won't let go.

Played the demo and the intro mission in the full base game and I'm looking foward to joining you lot hopefully later on.

This game is an utter fucking joy :wub: bought a Lite yesterday for this so I can multiplay with my husband, did 3 hours today and it is just so, so good! The animations, the chef song, everything is so joyous. I'm so happy.

So yeah after most of the weekend on it this is absolutely excellent. It's tense, fraught, skilful stuff on your own and basically a big monster slaying damage dealing party with mates. I still can't work out how to craft traps if they're not in my crafting menu but am now smashing things with my hammer left right and centre. 

My only question currently is what should I be looking for in a weapon? Just raw power? I take it affinity (which I believe is crit chance?) and element will come into things later on but what should I be favouring? 

It's very very compelling stuff either way, I just want to keep on playing it at the moment. 

8 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

My only question currently is what should I be looking for in a weapon? Just raw power? I take it affinity (which I believe is crit chance?) and element will come into things later on but what should I be favouring? 

Raw damage trumps all else. Elemental damage is nice, but the amount it adds isn't really worth getting too excited about. You'll not be cutting Hunt times in half due to the bonus, at any rate, so just focus on what weapon works for you.

At this point, all you really want is the biggest numbers you can get in attack and defence. Worry more when you reach High Rank, in Low Rank it's just about smacking big beasties in the face.

5 hours ago, Jamie John said:

New question: how do you draw your sword without doing an attack. Is that possible? 

X with the stick neutral.

Was just playing with a pal, loving how little downtime there is compared to World with much less running between places in the hub, much less flavour text to be skipped through when doing anything for the millionth time, bounties being rolled into the quest gal, and much quicker loading.

1 hour ago, Mike S said:

Sorry, I was just messing.

I wanted to see the Incus that is included...

Ah, I thought you meant to write ‘includes’, not sure what incus is!

Genuine question, how do Join Requests work? If I start a quest from the Hub with Join Request enabled, no one ever joins it. But I can go to the Quest board and join an in-progress quest any time I want. Am I doing something wrong or am I just being unlucky? I’d prefer to start a quest myself and bring in backup, rather than jumping in on something that’s probably nearly dead. 

Just had my first little multiplayer session (I'm Jigsawn on Switch and in-game), some forumites popped in, but its hard to know who were mukkers and who were randoms because your ingame name can be different to your Switch name. It was a good laugh. Honestly I much prefer to play Monster Hunter games co-op, for me that's what its all about. In the downtime between multiplayer sessions is when you can do solo stuff like crafting, training and exploring. I find it a bit soulless and grindy playing these games solo.

Anyway, multiplayer impressions. Technically things were smooth, I only saw a little lag occasionally on some players. Communication is as awkward as previous Monster Hunters - there is an option to type manually but its in a sub-menu (press - in the chat menu, and Y to bring up the chat log). Other than that you rely on pre-set phrases and emotes or stickers to conversate. Be aware there is a shortcut to the chat menu on the d-pad if you cycle left and right to find it, which I only found out at the end. Visually in combat it's a mess with 4 players and their pets, more-so than I remember World being - a chaotic mashup of characters, animals, monsters, explosions, effects and damage numbers. But it is fun. One player was giving me heals which I'm guessing must have been from the hunting horn. The player characters shout out to each other as well which is nice. 

I was frankly a bit useless, still figuring out the controls for my insect glaive. Am I the only one who finds using X and A as attack buttons totally counterintuive? I'm so used to using the Y button (or Square button) in other combat games for attacking that I keep hitting that. Maybe I should change my control scheme. We did however do some monster riding and successfully did two 1 star quests pretty easily, although by no means quickly.

Compared to World, a nice feature is that other players can go into the main village, not just the hub. Posting and accepting quests was confusing. So turns out the procedure is, one player speaks to the twin in the Hub and accepts a quest, becoming the 'quest leader'. All players get a message about the quest having been posted. The quest leader kicks off the quest by going to the mission start door in the hub. Other players must go to the quest board to the right of the Twin and pick Hub Quests, where any player quests will be listed and can be joined from there. Be sure to eat or do any other preperations before you join.

Can anyone remind me what the point of Guild Cards are, and how I send one to another player? Does a guild card show you their Switch username as well, or is there any other way to see the Switch username so you know who is in your lobby?

Also, Public Service Announcement: you can invite friends on Switch to your lobby by speaking to the post cat again after creating your lobby, and going to the Friends list. Annoyingly it doesn't sort by people playing Monster Hunter (why????), but be aware you don't have to wait for the icons to load in, you can just cycle through the list quickly and the text will show you who is playing the game. Bear in mind that if you set a passcode and then invite friends, I don't think there's any way to communicate the passcode to them without using other platforms (or telling them irl!) to do so.

8 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Genuine question, how do Join Requests work? If I start a quest from the Hub with Join Request enabled, no one ever joins it. But I can go to the Quest board and join an in-progress quest any time I want. Am I doing something wrong or am I just being unlucky? I’d prefer to start a quest myself and bring in backup, rather than jumping in on something that’s probably nearly dead. 

Can you fire off an SOS like in world? I have not done this yet, just solo village and multiplayer with a party already in the hub. You should be able start a quests then fire off an SOS which will open the possibility of random players joining you.

5 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

But it is fun. One player was giving me heals which I'm guessing must have been from the hunting horn. The player characters shout out to each other as well which is nice. 

Be sure to eat or do any other preperations before you join.

There is a skill called wide range, when you take a potion is also heals nearby players, they might have been using that, could also of been the horn, that skill doesn't work over and over tho.

You can eat in the tent at the start of the quest if you forget.

14 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Just had my first little multiplayer session (I'm Jigsawn on Switch and in-game), some forumites popped in, but its hard to know who were mukkers and who were randoms because your ingame name can be different to your Switch name. It was a good laugh. Honestly I much prefer to play Monster Hunter games co-op, for me that's what its all about. In the downtime between multiplayer sessions is when you can do solo stuff like crafting, training and exploring. I find it a bit soulless and grindy playing these games solo.

Anyway, multiplayer impressions. Technically things were smooth, I only saw a little lag occasionally on some players. Communication is as awkward as previous Monster Hunters - there is an option to type manually but its in a sub-menu (press - in the chat menu, and Y to bring up the chat log). Other than that you rely on pre-set phrases and emotes or stickers to conversate. Be aware there is a shortcut to the chat menu on the d-pad if you cycle left and right to find it, which I only found out at the end. Visually in combat it's a mess with 4 players and their pets, more-so than I remember World being - a chaotic mashup of characters, animals, monsters, explosions, effects and damage numbers. But it is fun. One player was giving me heals which I'm guessing must have been from the hunting horn. The player characters shout out to each other as well which is nice. 

I was frankly a bit useless, still figuring out the controls for my insect glaive. Am I the only one who finds using X and A as attack buttons totally counterintuive? I'm so used to using the Y button (or Square button) in other combat games for attacking that I keep hitting that. Maybe I should change my control scheme. We did however do some monster riding and successfully did two 1 star quests pretty easily, although by no means quickly.

Compared to World, a nice feature is that other players can go into the main village, not just the hub. Posting and accepting quests was confusing. So turns out the procedure is, one player speaks to the twin in the Hub and accepts a quest, becoming the 'quest leader'. All players get a message about the quest having been posted. The quest leader kicks off the quest by going to the mission start door in the hub. Other players must go to the quest board to the right of the Twin and pick Hub Quests, where any player quests will be listed and can be joined from there. Be sure to eat or do any other preperations before you join.

Can anyone remind me what the point of Guild Cards are, and how I send one to another player? Does a guild card show you their Switch username as well, or is there any other way to see the Switch username so you know who is in your lobby?

Hi @Alan Stock I did a hunt with you - the first hunt for the Giant Wroggi! I'm "Sailor" in-game, Mayor Ed I think is my Switch username. Lot of fun, sorry I couldn't stick around, had to do dinner.

36 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

You're just being unlucky I think, I've had people join my game 

5 hours ago, CheekyLee said:

Guys ...

GUYS!

My girlfriend and I just finished our fortnightly Zoom Trivial Pursuit session with another couple, friends of hers, and we sat down to do whatever. She wanted to watch that Britney Spears documentary, so I was playing Rise on the Switch as she was watching.

I had mentioned how I would love her to also play. She said "So, show me?" Now, we've had a bottle of wine, so it's not the best time to learn to play. Also, I realise that this may also have caused her to say it at all. But ...

I AM SO FUCKING HYPRED RIGHT NOW! I would buy her a Switch today if she got on board. How the hell do I play this?

You do realise that Animal Crossing is the gateway drug of choice for indoctrinating non gaming partners?

My wife is still playing daily on her Switch after 9 months (I had to buy a new one once it got its claws in) and she’s now branched out to Ring Fit and Fitness Boxing and has tried Zelda (she prefers the old ones from when she was a kid so might try her with Skyward Sword instead).

I’m not convinced something as dense and as obscure as Monster Hunter is a great starting point but I suppose you never know...

2 hours ago, Melon_Bread said:

There is a skill called wide range, when you take a potion is also heals nearby players, they might have been using that, could also of been the horn, that skill doesn't work over and over tho.

You can eat in the tent at the start of the quest if you forget.

Yeah, that was me @Alan Stock with Wide Range on! My character was Hanningfield.