Monster Hunter: Rise & MH Stories 2. Switch bound. March 2021. Featuring doggo.

Played this vast majority of the day — I’d forgotten how nuts armour is in low rank. Just wearing a mash up of random pieces I had the materials for; looks outrageous. 

The one thing I’ve been disappointed about — which is only half serious — but you give me a literal mermaid dragon monster and the female armour is meh. 

Mining points seem super-rare in this. I've not found a single one yet. The only iron ore I've got has been from random drops and I now need malachite ore for everything and have no idea where to find it.

8 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Mining points seem super-rare in this. I've not found a single one yet. The only iron ore I've got has been from random drops and I now need malachite ore for everything and have no idea where to find it.

They're in the hills of the first map just above the starting area. There's a function on the mop that pops up when you hold the minus button to show where stuff spawns. 

4 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

They're in the hills of the first map just above the starting area. There's a function on the mop that pops up when you hold the minus button to show where stuff spawns. 

:o

Thanks! I had no idea. Shame they couldn't have used one of their 7000 tutorial popups to actually convey this incredibly useful piece of information.

I know, right? I only found it by accident. They need to stop iterating on what they have already and rebuild the starting experience of the game from the ground up entirely, because even "at its most accessible" it's still a fucking shambles.

1 hour ago, HarMGM said:

Very good result, shows that World's succes was not just a one of and has raised MH's profile as a franchise worldwide.

4 million in the first week on 1 system is astonishing. Remember, this won't be including downloads, either. MH is basically mainstream, now.

Reached Village 4*, and choice paralysis has kicked in! I honestly don't know what to aim for yet. I literally might have to just make every armour set and weapon, because they all look so amazing. I've yet to upgrade anything, because there's just no need to, but suddenly the Remobra armour, and the Bishaten armour, and the Khezu Hammer, and ... and ... and ... HELP ME!

Also, HH is utter filth:

1 hour ago, CheekyLee said:

Also, HH is utter filth:

See I tried the Hunting Horn last night and it's clearly really effective but just wasn't as much fun as the hammer.

I like to charge, I like to creep around while charged, I like to hit big dogs with my hammer.

5 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

See I tried the Hunting Horn last night and it's clearly really effective but just wasn't as much fun as the hammer.

I like to charge, I like to creep around while charged, I like to hit big dogs with my hammer.

That's the beauty of MH, man! Each weapon is its own game, and now each weapon has a couple of playstyles inside it, as well.

That starting Hammer looks amazing, too. There's something going on when I charge it, the icon goes purple sometimes, but it isn't clear why. I'm nothing but an occasional Hammer-bro, so I don't have enough to go on to guess why it happens.

I also at one point had 2 red bars under my name, above my health bar. No idea what they were, either. There's still new stuff hidden, here ...

1 hour ago, CheekyLee said:

4 million in the first week on 1 system is astonishing. Remember, this won't be including downloads, either. MH is basically mainstream, now.

To my knowledge that 4 million number does in fact contain downloadable versions, Capcom always include them in their shipped number. Plus, they have an investors call coming up this week so they have no reason to present lower numbers that what they actually sold/shipped.

Still, 4 million in three days puts in in the same ballpark as the 3DS entries whih were on the market for years. Rise is only going to go higher. I'd expect a lifetime number around 7 or 8 million sold/shipped units for the Switch version alone which will help persuade more third parties to invest more in developing for the platform.

13 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Make a combo by twatting things, play horn, get buffed. Twat more things. I think.

How do I play the horn? I could see the combo building up

1 minute ago, Mystacon said:

ZR + X. Not to Labour the already laboured point but use the training area and look for weapon controls under the hunter notes menu.

31 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

Chain any two of the same attack move to toot and get the buff (e.g. X -> X, A -> A, A+X -> A+X)

Perform all three attack moves and you can then use a special attack toot that triggers all the buffs (e.g. X -> A -> A+X -> ZR+X)

7 minutes ago, Teeohbee said:

Chain any two of the same attack move to toot and get the buff (e.g. X -> X, A -> A, A+X -> A+X)

Perform all three attack moves and you can then use a special attack toot that triggers all the buffs (e.g. X -> A -> A+X -> ZR+X)

“attack toot” :lol:

I just did Expedition Tours of the 6 maps i have unlocked in an effort to familiarise myself with the layouts, and i gotta tell you, all the best resource nodes are waaaaay off the beaten track (i.e. nowhere near where a hunt might take you).

I'd highly recommend setting the map to Detailed as default. Helps alot. I assume you know you can filter the map to show just the items/monsters/nodes you're after:

Press '+'.

Press Y for a full screen detailed view.

Press X for Icon List.

Bumper L/R through the tabs.

Choose what you're after.

The map will now only show your selections.

;)

Played my first multiplayer...have two questions:

A) Is there a "kick" button in this? Before it was on touch screen or pause + +Iirc. 

Kicking people was the quickest way to get a buddy out of a stun

B) I didn't see any arm wrestling? Any about? 

The fact this has an option to 'chit chat' makes me far happier than it should.

But on the Hunting Horn; am I actually using it correctly? At the moment it seems to work like a faster Hammer but I can't tell if I'm getting the buffs or not. If I perform the double button press combo (for instance, A + A for Attack Up) is that instantly active until I peform a different combo? Or (and I think I'm getting it) can I perform all 3 in quick succession for the ZR+X attack, delaying the initial buff in favour of getting all 3 at once, with the risk I'll get combo-broken?

Or should I just go back to my trusty Longsword. :lol:

Edit: I see this has been answered quite comprehensively above! Thanks @teeohbee

1 hour ago, friedgold said:

The fact this has an option to 'chit chat' makes me far happier than it should.

But on the Hunting Horn; am I actually using it correctly? At the moment it seems to work like a faster Hammer but I can't tell if I'm getting the buffs or not. If I perform the double button press combo (for instance, A + A for Attack Up) is that instantly active until I peform a different combo? Or (and I think I'm getting it) can I perform all 3 in quick succession for the ZR+X attack, delaying the initial buff in favour of getting all 3 at once, with the risk I'll get combo-broken?

Or should I just go back to my trusty Longsword. :lol:

Edit: I see this has been answered quite comprehensively above! Thanks @teeohbee

it's best to quickly queue up the magnificent trio combo where all 3 colour notes are on the song sheet and hit ZR + X followed by ZR again if your have the full circle around the horn icon, then follow that with the silkbind attack for max damage.

I played the first demo for 20-30 mins and killed the monster first time.

On this some giant greenish badger type thing killed me twice before I took it down. Was I levelled up in the demo? Can you improve your own stats for weapon handling etc? Like strength, dexterity etc

2 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I played the first demo for 20-30 mins and killed the monster first time.

On this some giant greenish badger type thing killed me twice before I took it down. Was I levelled up in the demo? Can you improve your own stats for weapon handling etc? Like strength, dexterity etc

You level up by improving your equipment in this. Your stats are tied to your weapon/armour rather than your character.