Monster Hunter: Rise & MH Stories 2. Switch bound. March 2021. Featuring doggo.

55 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

I've only played two Rampages so far - the mandatory one you get in the Village, then another one that the Hub gave me halfway through the 2-star quests - and I've not particularly enjoyed either of them.

Then again, the big Monster Hunter set pieces are rarely much fun - I didn't enjoy Zorah Magdaros much in World, for instance. As long as it doesn't become a huge part of the endgame or anything, I can live with it.

I'm finding the online rampages pretty fun due to how chaotic it is with all the stuff going on with other players. It thing my favourite set piece fight is still Jhen Mohran though.

Don't sleep on Meowcenaries! I have several new armour sets that have come from things I assume I only picked up from that. The Jelly armour set, in particular, is fabulous. It appeared after I got Cutejelly from sending my pals to a shiny fish line in Frozen Islands.

jellyset.png.c52a86fa52f5834dbb7a12bc4a9ea14c.png

I did about four more hunts this evening. Haven't died yet!

I am enjoying it, but it is very similar to World, to the point where I'm wondering whether I should just play Iceborn instead, as that's something I never got round to. The Wirebug stuff seems to be the only notable additional so far, and even that doesn't seem too major. I suppose it being on Switch means you can play it in bed, though.

The multiplayer is sooo much better in this though; the village is a huge improvement; and weirdly even though they are less densely packed with graphical details, the environments feel more interesting to explore. I'm not sure I could go back tbh. And everything is better on Switch.

39 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I did about four more hunts this evening. Haven't died yet!

I am enjoying it, but it is very similar to World, to the point where I'm wondering whether I should just play Iceborn instead, as that's something I never got round to. The Wirebug stuff seems to be the only notable additional so far, and even that doesn't seem too major. I suppose it being on Switch means you can play it in bed, though.

Just play both!

High Rank is the good, certified-gold, Monster Hunter shit.

Real damage numbers, craftable decorations, many viable options for your next weapon in the weapons tree, getting into that better sharpness, good new monsters, interesting changes to the old monsters, zipping around the maps fast as fuck; just sit me up all night and pour it directly into my brain.

Well Magnamalo certainly isn't messing about then is he? Just had my first proper death on him. He wiped me out in about two hits every time! Might have to get a bit clever with Stinkminks and luring in other monsters to try and do some damage for me!

I'm only about 8 hours in, just fucking about pootling through the village quests ranks. I'd forgotten how much it gives me early WoW vibes. Just going on an expedition, looting shit, trying to finish requests, beat the fuck out of a monster that wanders across you with your fucking harpsichord bludgeon. Lovely.

One genuine criticism I do have - albeit a very minor one in the grand scheme of things - is that I wish the monster names had a bit more personality. It feels like they've just used the Japanese names and there's been no attempt to give them more flavour for a Western audience in the same way that, say, the Pokemon series always does. Already I'm struggling to remember which is which out of Barroth, Barioth and Basarios, and I'm not even out of Low Rank yet.

1 hour ago, BitterToad said:

Well Magnamalo certainly isn't messing about then is he? Just had my first proper death on him. He wiped me out in about two hits every time! Might have to get a bit clever with Stinkminks and luring in other monsters to try and do some damage for me!

I got to Magnamalo, and thought I was doing well when he ran off. Hah! Caught up to him, and he got me with a huge purple blast. Down.

I got back to him, and didn't even manage a hit before he did me down a 2nd time. I figured .. "Yeah, write this one off. Learn whatever you can."

And, staying away from his purple rage made all the difference. 10 more minutes of hitting and running got me the credits. Remember, you have 50 minutes. The map is loaded with buffs, make use of them. You don't have to prove your skills. You don't have to speed run! Also, upgrade your armour. I forgot I was still in Leather pants, and hadn't actually upgraded any of my other pieces.

You're supposed to triple-cart at some point, nobody ever claimed this would be an easy game. It's only a failure, though, if you didn't learn from it. 

47 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

I got to Magnamalo, and thought I was doing well when he ran off. Hah! Caught up to him, and he got me with a huge purple blast. Down.

I got back to him, and didn't even manage a hit before he did me down a 2nd time. I figured .. "Yeah, write this one off. Learn whatever you can."

And, staying away from his purple rage made all the difference. 10 more minutes of hitting and running got me the credits. Remember, you have 50 minutes. The map is loaded with buffs, make use of them. You don't have to prove your skills. You don't have to speed run! Also, upgrade your armour. I forgot I was still in Leather pants, and hadn't actually upgraded any of my other pieces.

You're supposed to triple-cart at some point, nobody ever claimed this would be an easy game. It's only a failure, though, if you didn't learn from it. 

Did him second try. Just waiting for my hits, dodging, learning him. Stinkminking the place up. Absolutely incredible game. 

At Low Rank wear whatever you want.

At High Rank you want to tailor it to the specific monster you are hunting; ensure the skills complement your weapon/style; and look to see how you can use Decorations in the sockets to further min-max your build. Or you can still YOLO it and go for the fashion, it is all good.

I've made full sets for Arzuros, Basarios, Bishaten, Khezu, Pukei, and Remobra so far. I'll almost never wear any of them, but this is just standard behaviour. There is a literal wealth of possibilities open to me, and the fact that I've not had to spend too much time on any of them means I'll doubtless make countless more!

7 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

One genuine criticism I do have - albeit a very minor one in the grand scheme of things - is that I wish the monster names had a bit more personality. It feels like they've just used the Japanese names and there's been no attempt to give them more flavour for a Western audience in the same way that, say, the Pokemon series always does. Already I'm struggling to remember which is which out of Barroth, Barioth and Basarios, and I'm not even out of Low Rank yet.

On nitpicks - I really miss the bed there used to be in the player house. I would make a point of taking myself to it and saving when I'd finished a mission as part of a weird post-hunt ritual. The collapsing into bed animation was brilliant.

25 minutes ago, friedgold said:

On nitpicks - I really miss the bed there used to be in the player house. I would make a point of taking myself to it and saving when I'd finished a mission as part of a weird post-hunt ritual. The collapsing into bed animation was brilliant.

Yeah was thinking that earlier when I actually remembered you even have a room in this one. Best one was Freedom Unite where you had the cats kitchen out the back of your bedroom.

Like to see that back one day and the farm.

Credits done. - pretty early too it feels. But then 5* unlocks loads of new monsters.

Hope a bit more of a challenge - but then it seems longsword is beastly in this - even if you’re low competency like me.

Is Village entirely Low Rank? I’ve unlocked High Rank through the Hub but I’m thinking I should probably go back and finish off the solo stuff before getting really stuck into it. 

5 hours ago, Hexx said:

Credits done. - pretty early too it feels. But then 5* unlocks loads of new monsters.

Hope a bit more of a challenge - but then it seems longsword is beastly in this - even if you’re low competency like me.

When the credits roll that is when the tutorial has ended basically.

As a veteran of the Monster Hunter series I always worry when a new game comes out that it will be worse than the last but after a good amount of play time now I can honestly say I think this is the best in the series. Especially compared to the Base world game, a lot of endgame stuff will be added and the Monster Hunter series is one of the games that benefits from constant updates even years after its release.

If I had one minor thing I feel like is missing it’s the way entering Multiplayer games are handled, I feel you know less about who you are playing with until after you’ve finished playing with someone, the way it worked in World is you could respond to an SOS plea and that would show you a list of people that needed help with what missions, how many other players were helping them, their Hunter Rank etc. So I always liked to go in and help Hunters of low rank that sent out an SOS plea through the earlier levels. Now though it throws you into a match, you never really see the Hunter Rank of who you are playing with unless they are with you in an online session so a lot of that “Rank 999 flexing” that I loved has been lost. I’m not sure if increasing my Hunter Rank into the high hundreds (when the cap lifts) is something I’ll be bothered with if nobody can see me heroically coming to their aid.....Slightly ridiculous yes but it’s what kept me coming back.

Everything else is spot on, and being able to do this while the Mrs watches Eastenders is exactly why I love the Switch so much

jeezo - even gathering quests are fun in this.  Wirebugging all over the place and Cohoot makes finding the areas easy and quick.

I love this game.  After bouncing hard off of MH4X on the switch, they've fixed everything I struggled so hard with.

Looks like someone has an armour set search tool up and running, handy for figuring out which builds are possible with the armour and decorations currently in the game:

https://mhrise.wiki-db.com/sim/?hl=en

I hadn't noticed the Rapid Fire Up skill, which adds 5/10/20% damage to rapid fire shots. I'd quite like that for my rapid fire pierce LBG set, but based on this set search I can only get Rapid Fire 1 from armour while keeping Pierce Up 3, and there are currently no decorations which give it. Someone's also been collecting charm data and it turns out you can get Rapid Fire on the rarest type of RNG charm, so there's an RNG god charm out there with Rapid Fire 2 which would boost my damage by a flat 15% :o

I'm not complaining because it was like this to get every. single. decoration. in Monster Hunter: World. Inthis game I have a wishlist full of gear I need iwth specific monsters I need to hunt for parts, and all the info I need about how to best get those parts is now in the game (:wub:) and the spare materials from that can go into rolling for charms.

Edit: FFS, since starting this post my wishlist was already overflowing with Long Sword build stuff, now I've turned my Pierce 1 set into a Pierce 2 set and added a bunch of Light Bowgun things to the list :lol: