Monster Hunter: Rise & MH Stories 2. Switch bound. March 2021. Featuring doggo.

HarMGM

3 hours ago, wretcherd said:

This clip is basically the game in a nutshell - people who put hundreds of hours into these games because they want to utterly master the deep systems so they can pull off awesome shit like this.

I got to the credits on the Village quests earlier with about 15 hours on the clock. I thought the 'final' quest was a bit underwhelming, but I then decided to solo a few of the Hub quests and even going up against level 2 monsters I still found these quests a lot more involving than the Village ones because of the challenge. They reminded me a lot more of World, although the added wirebug stuff is pretty cool. I think I'm going to stick with Hub quests for a while, although I don't want to burn out on this, so I think I'll keep it as my comfort food game and maybe play one quest at a time, little but often, while I play something else.

I'm also wondering whether to switch from the Hunting Horn to a different weapon. The HH is good fun but it does seem to be a bit of a noob weapon. I tend to just charge in, mash A, X and A + X until I get my ZR performance combo then unleash that as soon as I think I can get away with it, going for silkbind attacks whenever I can fit them in. Rinse and repeat. It's not very precise, and I keep seeing cool videos of people using the long sword and hammer.

7 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I'm also wondering whether to switch from the Hunting Horn to a different weapon. The HH is good fun but it does seem to be a bit of a noob weapon. I tend to just charge in, mash A, X and A + X until I get my ZR performance combo then unleash that as soon as I think I can get away with it, going for silkbind attacks whenever I can fit them in. Rinse and repeat. It's not very precise, and I keep seeing cool videos of people using the long sword and hammer.

All the weapons are good but it's well worth trying out a few just to see what suits you. If you want to play something more involved, go for it.

I do love it when a Hunting Horn player shows up for a multiplayer quest though. All those buffs are so useful. Anecdotally it seems like about 75% of players are using the Long Sword at the moment.

I do wonder how many people play Longsword by default because that is the weapon the game equips you with right at the start and then as afaict never actually explains to you that you can equip other weapons.

I'd say fucking loads. Even if they deviate and try other weapons it's what they'll probably revert to. I just went into Barroth with a hammer because I remember something about blunt damage and breaking parts and fffffffffffucking hell fire that weapon is a chore. 

26 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I'd say fucking loads. Even if they deviate and try other weapons it's what they'll probably revert to. I just went into Barroth with a hammer because I remember something about blunt damage and breaking parts and fffffffffffucking hell fire that weapon is a chore. 

I wish I could git gud with the Hammer, but I'll settle for Horn. Barroth dislikes both weapons anyway, losing his head very frequently.

There are some simply spectacular looking weapons in this game, I might finally have to learn CB, SA, and IG because some of them just look so damn amazing! 

I think the Long Sword is considered to be a bit OP at the moment too. So by the laws of gaming, a 5% theoretical advantage translates into 95% of the player base using the weapon exclusively. I'm sure there will be some balancing adjustments in forthcoming patches.

9 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I got to the credits on the Village quests earlier with about 15 hours on the clock. I thought the 'final' quest was a bit underwhelming, but I then decided to solo a few of the Hub quests and even going up against level 2 monsters I still found these quests a lot more involving than the Village ones because of the challenge. They reminded me a lot more of World, although the added wirebug stuff is pretty cool. I think I'm going to stick with Hub quests for a while, although I don't want to burn out on this, so I think I'll keep it as my comfort food game and maybe play one quest at a time, little but often, while I play something else.

Yes the horn is good but they may have over simplified it a tad, I just do that same rotation into magnificent trio over and over.

I've swapped the Gunlance for the Sword and Shield at the moment and it's a TON of fun, seen as a boring noob weapon it's so much more than that now, loads of combos, you can KO with the shield attack and I love how the Shield moves look like you are giving the monster a right hook, the sound when it connects is so satisfying.

It also has one of the best silkbinds in the game the brilliantly named 'Metsu Shoryugeki' which can counter roars into a massive jumping attack into a plunge attack down onto the monsters head, feels so good!

I was a big time hammer fan. Loved that feeling of every blow feeling so deliberate, holding the thing, feeling the charge build, unloading it at the perfect time... bliss! Then I swapped over to Insect Glaive and I've been loving it, I'm now really good at staying in the air and murdering bastards. It is starting to feel like I'm missing out on a lot of the fun though. There's not a huge need to learn monsters when you can spin through the sky like Spider-Man on the waltzers. 

Maybe I'll go sword and shield for a bit? Sounds like you're pretty in amongst it. I love how they've cut down on what you need for weapons so it's not a massive pain in the arse/grindfest to change half way through. 

SnS has been superb for a while, now, far beyond it's alleged status as the "beginners only" weapon. I played World recently on Xbox as it is part of Game Pass, and tore through the early stuff for easy achievements with it. I've tried it a little, here, but need to craft some to get that Shoryugeki skill that looks so badass. Plus, there is one called "Mincing Blade" that requires "Massive Bone" to craft, and I appreciate that level of innuendo.

1 hour ago, BitterToad said:

I was a big time hammer fan. Loved that feeling of every blow feeling so deliberate, holding the thing, feeling the charge build, unloading it at the perfect time... bliss! Then I swapped over to Insect Glaive and I've been loving it, I'm now really good at staying in the air and murdering bastards. It is starting to feel like I'm missing out on a lot of the fun though. There's not a huge need to learn monsters when you can spin through the sky like Spider-Man on the waltzers. 

Maybe I'll go sword and shield for a bit? Sounds like you're pretty in amongst it. I love how they've cut down on what you need for weapons so it's not a massive pain in the arse/grindfest to change half way through. 

Yeah I got that impression from the glaive as well for the few missions I've played with it. I might give something else a shot too. Planning to get back into the game over the next few days and hit the mulyiplayer hub. When I'm working I play late at night and keep firing up the game, but no one I know is online and the single player doesn't appeal to me much. Maybe I should hop into more randoms games. Its a shame you kind of need to do the village quests to advance the game, why didn't they just let it all be co-op?

I cleared the last few HR3 keys, and entered an Urgent Rampage Join Request. I'm now High Rank!

The Rampage actually surprised me, it was a bit more difficult than I expected it to be. That bear is pretty brutal, it has to be said.

I should have gotten here sooner, to be honest. High Rank finally feels like what I've been missing. Did an Expedition in the ruins, and met the Arzuros, and before I knew it he'd carted me! So, now I have to make some better armour, which means I'll have a few tricky fights to go through. Even the Kamura S is far better than my Basarios set, and those Rampage weapons look damn tasty. And Decorations! And new Switch skill quests. And ... and ... 

THIS is Monster Hunter! This is what I needed. This is simply the best game out there.

The way Hunter Rank works in this seems a little odd, I’ve been working through the Village Quests and the credits have just rolled after about 10 hours but I’m still only Hunter Rank 2? My plan was to blast through the Village Quests until I reached the final boss then let the real fun begin with the hub Quests but I’m a bit confused about still being HR2 after the credits have rolled, do HR 3-7 go pretty quickly from here on out?

25 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

The way Hunter Rank works in this seems a little odd, I’ve been working through the Village Quests and the credits have just rolled after about 10 hours but I’m still only Hunter Rank 2? My plan was to blast through the Village Quests until I reached the final boss then let the real fun begin with the hub Quests but I’m a bit confused about still being HR2 after the credits have rolled, do HR 3-7 go pretty quickly from here on out?

HR 4 is high rank, 7 is max at the moment, 3-7 do not go quickly, they are the bulk of the game.

3 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

HR 4 is high rank, 7 is max at the moment, 3-7 do not go quickly, they are the bulk of the game.

Thats good, the more game that’s in there the better, Monster Hunter is a game I’ll play and come back to for the next few years so the main game being bulky before DLC and updates is a great sign 

2 hours ago, CovisGod said:

Thats good, the more game that’s in there the better, Monster Hunter is a game I’ll play and come back to for the next few years so the main game being bulky before DLC and updates is a great sign 

Hunter Rank is based purely on hub quests. High Rank starts at HR4, but is a significant step up. Even Great Izuchi can do things in High Rank you didn't see before. Any veteran shouldn't worry about village, and get to HR4 as soon as possible.

1 minute ago, CheekyLee said:

Hunter Rank is based purely on hub quests. High Rank starts at HR4, but is a significant step up. Even Great Izuchi can do things in High Rank you didn't see before. Any veteran shouldn't worry about village, and get to HR4 as soon as possible.

Wait Hunter Rank is tied to the hub quests not the Village Quests? I thought I had read the opposite or I wouldn’t have bothered with the Village stuff I much prefer playing with others. In your opinion then now that the credits have rolled and I’ve seen the story should I switch focus straight to the Hub?

Having spent the last few in-game hours playing through the Hub quests solo, I regret not doing this from the beginning. For anyone coming from World or any other MH game, I'd recommend going straight into the Hub quests and ignoring the Village ones.

1 minute ago, CovisGod said:

Wait Hunter Rank is tied to the hub quests not the Village Quests? I thought I had read the opposite or I wouldn’t have bothered with the Village stuff I much prefer playing with others. In your opinion then now that the credits have rolled and I’ve seen the story should I switch focus straight to the Hub?

Yeah, definitely. If you've played through all the Village quests then you should have unlocked a licence which allows you to start the Hub quests from level 2 onwards. I've just unlocked level 3 (still Low Rank) and they're ten times more interesting than the pushovers you come up against in the Village quests.

1 minute ago, CovisGod said:

You get a few worthwhile fights in 5* village, and there are some weapons and things that need you to reach certain parts of the story for, but you will enjoy the game SO MUCH MORE at HR4.

27 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

go between the two, there’s some stuff to unlock in the village so you might want to do those.

5 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

How do you unlock more submarines in the Buddy Plaza? I've got one palico collecting honey for mega potions but I'm in constant need of thunder bugs for shock traps, too.

The Argosy girl gives you gathering quests to unlock them.

I can’t believe how much they’ve perfected this. I can appreciate that the tutorial is still bamboozling for folks who’ve never played a MH before but for someone who has, this is pretty much perfected. It’s so so so so good. Soooo good.

Finally tried the gyro controls (active when there's a reticule of some kind up only) and they're amazing for tracking what you're trying to shoot when the monsters are jiggling about, it doesn't even feel like you're having to try to aim.

The default sensitivity is bananas though, bump it down from 50 to umpteen and it starts to feel like Breath of the Wild bow controls.

60 hours in and I'm just about to craft my 4th Attack Boost decoration to max out a couple of my builds - I don't think I ever saw that many (legitimately :ph34r:) in 400 hours of World.

I am sort of running out of things to do now, almost done every quest, made some cool sets, need to charm farm a bit.

I have played it for about 100 hours tho so fair enough, still really enjoying it, it's good fun to just pop into low rank hub quests and help out randoms.

I went back and started a new character in World as well and that game seems slow motion now after rise, you really miss zipping around on the dogs and I keep going for the wirebug moves.

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

100 hours :wacko:

It's only been out for a few weeks, hasn't it?!

Even I'm at 55 hours, although a lot of them have been idle. A streamer I was watching had hit 150!