Monster Hunter: Rise & MH Stories 2. Switch bound. March 2021. Featuring doggo.

HarMGM

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

100 hours :wacko:

It's only been out for a few weeks, hasn't it?!

Just looked, at 88 hours, in my defence it is my fave game series and there was the long Easter weekend. I regret nothing!

90+ hours here, loving it! I’ve not hit a game this hard in years. It helps I’ve had to use up some annual leave from work, so I’ve not much else to do over the last week.

I played World a fair bit, but was not liking the sluggish ‘story’ and my interest faded as time went on. Never finished it. Stayed up late last night looking up Great Sword builds for Rise :ph34r:.

I've done about half of the level 3 Gathering Hub quests now and things are starting to get a bit more spicy. Both Rathalos and Zinogre have sent me packing, although I did manage to get both of them on my second attempt. A lot of the time it felt like I was battling the camera more than anything else.

What's the best advice when it comes to armour and weapon sets? Do I want to make a set that resists each of the four main elements and a weapon to exploit each of the weaknesses, or is it better to just go for the weapon with the highest raw damage and armour with the best raw defence, regardless of the monster? I've got one fire and one thunder resistant set so far, but I've run out of armour spheres so their defence ratings aren't as high as my default hodgepodge set.

16 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I've done about half of the level 3 Gathering Hub quests now and things are starting to get a bit more spicy. Both Rathalos and Zinogre have sent me packing, although I did manage to get both of them on my second attempt. A lot of the time it felt like I was battling the camera more than anything else.

What's the best advice when it comes to armour and weapon sets? Do I want to make a set that resists each of the four main elements and a weapon to exploit each of the weaknesses, or is it better to just go for the weapon with the highest raw damage and armour with the best raw defence, regardless of the monster? I've got one fire and one thunder resistant set so far, but I've run out of armour spheres so their defence ratings aren't as high as my default hodgepodge set.

I wouldn’t bother with armour sets until you reach high rank, the first High rank set you make will blow all the low rank sets out the water. Just keep your weapon upgraded and power thru.

Also wouldn’t bother with resist sets either, most people end up with a raw weapon and a mixed set with skills like attack, critical boost and weakness exploit. There is something called affinity in this game which is how often you crit, so that’s something the bear in mind as well. I think the Nargacuga weapons are ones to make.

5 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Keep upgrading with armour spheres when you can (make sure you've picked 5 optional quests and you should get some at the end of each hunt, and you'll get better ones as you progress) and upgrade to individual pieces with better skills when you can. Rise's low rank is very friendly with armour which gives you Attack Boost and Critical Eye, which are the major damage multipliers you have access to early on.

Weapon sharpness is also a damage multiplier, so if you unlock a new weapon with significantly more/better quality sharpness and similar raw damage, or with similar sharpness and better raw damage, sharpness * raw number when you hit the monster goes up and it's worth an upgrade.

You have the entire endgame to worry about sets which boost particular elements and combinations of skills for each weapon.

2 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

Personally I would save those armor spheres for high rank armor, pointless to waste them on low rank stuff when you should easily get thru low rank with base armor.

Ah. I don't suppose there's a way to get back spent armour spheres, is there?

10 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Cheers @Melon_Bread and @Nobuo's Organ. Re armour skills, do they level up when you upgrade the armour? All of the armour I have only has level 1 or 2 skills. Or do you just have to wait until you're getting high rank armour?

Some of the armour has slots that you put decorations into, these open up later on, that’s how you upgrade the skills.

You can’t get the spheres back, but you will have plenty by the time you need them.

11 hours ago, Jamie John said:

What's the best advice when it comes to armour and weapon sets?

I did the entirety of village and Low Rank online in nothing above Basarios armour. In fact, I didn't even change out of Leather pants until after the credits, when Zinogre handed me my first quest fail. That's not a brag, it's a comment on how upgrading Low Rank armour isn't worth your while. Tigrex may give you some trouble, and Rathalos in 3* hub put me down, but I maintain you just need to get to 4* hub before looking at anything other than raw.

I really should've worked this out at some point in the last 30 some hours, but those flying fish things in the Frost Islands lakes - what manner of buffs am I getting from them?

7 minutes ago, Yasawas said:

I really should've worked this out at some point in the last 30 some hours, but those flying fish things in the Frost Islands lakes - what manner of buffs am I getting from them?

I think it changes each time depending on the symbol - the little sword is attack up and there's a green shield-like thing that I imagine is for defence.

32 minutes ago, Yasawas said:

They're the same as the Spiribirds. So, red is attack, orange is defence, yellow is stamina, and green is health. You also sometimes find a gold one that does the lot.

Thanks! That’s what I gathered but it also shows a fairly high percentage value too rather than +1 or whatever. Either way I have gleaned it is a boon of  some stripe and steer my mutt steed in their direction whenever possible :)

Just started high rank. There’s rather a lot of very good game here isn’t there?

I was hunting a Great Izuchi and decided I’d go take a punt at Arzuros for a bit when, and I’ve not seen this before in Rise, he buggered off! Arzuros has left the field or something. My question, when he comes back later, will he still have the damage done to him I’d done before or is that a fresh faced Arzuros?

1 hour ago, BitterToad said:

Just started high rank. There’s rather a lot of very good game here isn’t there?

I was hunting a Great Izuchi and decided I’d go take a punt at Arzuros for a bit when, and I’ve not seen this before in Rise, he buggered off! Arzuros has left the field or something. My question, when he comes back later, will he still have the damage done to him I’d done before or is that a fresh faced Arzuros?

That Arzuros is gone forever, and your next one will be a new randomly created one. That's how you get your crowns for biggest and smallest.

They only leave in Expeditions, though. When you want to hunt Arzuros, select one of the quests that has him. That one isn't going anywhere!

Just now, Jamie John said:

Fuck me, the rampage quests in this suuuuuuuck. Such a cluster fuck.

I've been doing them online with 3 others via join request and they're alright. Just let someone else bother with all of the setting up guff and smack monsters about. 

59 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

I've been doing them online with 3 others via join request and they're alright. Just let someone else bother with all of the setting up guff and smack monsters about. 

I don't have Switch Online, unfortunately. Rampage quests feel very much like they've been designed for multiplayer in mind, so it's annoying that they use them to gate off the different quest levels. There's just not enough time to set everything up, especially between hordes. And as soon as you stand still, like it you're trying to use one of the ballista emplacements, you just get ganked.

Anyway, I've done the one that unlocks High Rank so I'm onto that now! Looking forward to getting some decorations and HR armour sets. I just hope it doesn't rely too heavily on RNG, as playing the same quests again and again for rare materials is what killed my enjoyment in World. I feel like they've perhaps streamlined this a bit too much to get you to HR really quickly. I've been playing this for 20 hours now but it took me at least twice that to reach HR in World. I still haven't had much of a reason to properly explore all the different areas, either. Some parts of a few of the maps are still fogged out.

I know it's been said before, bit High Rank really is where the game begins properly. I don't know why they bother with the low rank stuff beyond a few tutorial quests. It lessens the impact of the high rank monsters a bit when you're just fighting the same ones again, albeit more powerful versions. I suppose they needed something to pad the game out with.

I'm about 20 hours in, I've played a bit with the long sword but I'm mostly hammer. I've got a question though - is there a way to pinpoint where to get specific items? One of my side quests wants wisplanterns, and I can't see a way of figuring out where it is in game without literally scouring each of the maps. I have inadvertently managed to find out where they are when looking into how to find specific items on Google, but I'd rather there was a way to find them similar to how I can use the hunters notes to determine how to get specific monster parts.

Account items are always in the "Special Items" gathering spots, but I don't think there's anything which specifically tells you which items come from which spots in-game.

Going back to a Village map expedition with endgame gear reminds me of going back into Moga Woods in Tri with an Alatreon hammer and nuking Great Jaggi from orbit. I just finished maxing out my Nargacuga longsword build with a fifth and final attack boost decoration and went ham in there, taking out 7 poor, unsuspecting monsters while having a bit of an explore.

I think the desire sensor is broken in my copy - 4 of the last 5 plates and orbs I've got from Magnamalo have been from 1% shiny drops.

Is it just me, or have capture rewards in this been nerfed compared with World? Time was that capturing would earn me a load of different materials, whereas now it hardly seems worth it. I suppose capturing brings monsters down more quickly.

Anyway, I'm up to HR5 and hopelessly addicted to this.

8 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Is it just me, or have capture rewards in this been nerfed compared with World? Time was that capturing would earn me a load of different materials, whereas now it hardly seems worth it. I suppose capturing brings monsters down more quickly.

Anyway, I'm up to HR5 and hopelessly addicted to this.

Killing the monsters is generally the better thing to do in Rise if you're after materials. Some materials just can't be gained by capturing in fact.

It's a bit of a problem online at the moment to be honest. World's mechanics taught loads of first timers that capturing was best. Rise flips this on its head to some degree but doesn't do a good job of explaining that. So loads of players coming from World are now instantly capturing as soon as possible in multiplayer, made worse because the game now tells them exactly when to do it on the UI. There's no more need to look for tells.

When playing with others, I generally go for the kill unless someone explicitly says to capture or if there's a real risk of someone triple carting before the fight is over. But most of the time, as soon as that blue icon appears, someone puts a trap down and ends the fight.

I'm still really struggling with the fact I can't tell what items I need for weapon upgrades. Almost everything is marked as ???.

I know this means I haven't encountered that item yet, but I genuinely have no idea whether I should be plugging away at new Hub quests, repeatedly killing the monsters I've already killed in the hope of finding new parts, or combing each area in both Low and High Rank expeditions to find random items.

7 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

I'm still really struggling with the fact I can't tell what items I need for weapon upgrades. Almost everything is marked as ???.

I know this means I haven't encountered that item yet, but I genuinely have no idea whether I should be plugging away at new Hub quests, repeatedly killing the monsters I've already killed in the hope of finding new parts, or combing each area in both Low and High Rank expeditions to find random items.

I don't think that many weapons are gated off by rare items, so I wouldn't worry about repeatedly playing the same quests again in search of them. Quite a lot of weapons in the Hunting Horn tree are unlocked by killing smaller creatures, like the badgers in the Shrine Ruins, for example. You also unlock them from rare items your buddy collects when you send them off in the submarine, like the Blossom Cricket. I believe you can increase their chances of bringing these back by levelling them up and giving them a lagniapple.

Ah, that's a good point, I do tend to ignore the smaller creatures unless they actively get in my way. I think I just need to spend an evening doing some Expeditions and seeing what I can find.