Monster Hunter: Rise & MH Stories 2. Switch bound. March 2021. Featuring doggo.

Rise is out next month! How HUGE is that!?

I for one cannot wait. We all love World and what it did for the franchise, but for MonHun to be back on a handheld, will equate to waaaayyyyyy more hours played, grinding, hunting, helping. The convenience factor cannot be overlooked or understated! 

Its one of the only games where you can be doing solo laps of the map gathering resources etc while you're watching TV, then 5 mins later, you're balls deep in a hunt with 3 friends online.

Its wondrous! It truly is. Now if i could only get out of my Charge Blade comfort zone and diversify. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I enjoyed the demo of this, but what I liked most about MHW is the in-between stuff anyway: harvesting the best parts, creating tasty armour or whatever.

Jury's still out on whether I buy this day and date. I really did enjoy MHW (my first MH) but all I heard was how this is a very unusual MH in terms of quality of life etc. So I need to check what things are changing back in Rise and whether they will be enough to put me off! :-)

32 minutes ago, StephenM said:

I enjoyed the demo of this, but what I liked most about MHW is the in-between stuff anyway: harvesting the best parts, creating tasty armour or whatever.

Jury's still out on whether I buy this day and date. I really did enjoy MHW (my first MH) but all I heard was how this is a very unusual MH in terms of quality of life etc. So I need to check what things are changing back in Rise and whether they will be enough to put me off! :-)

I wouldn't worry about that, they tend to move the series forward rather than back, so I expect this to be all the best bits of World with some new ideas on top, all your fave parts of world will still be there.

I love me a MH game - but MH GU broke me.  I found the story progression completely impossible to work out.  I had no idea how to move it forward.  After hours and hours of play I still wasn't fighting any decent big monsties.  It's the only thing making me a little apprehensive about this one.  

GU was the last hurrah for the Wiki / MHGUDB app basically being a requirement so you'd know which quests to do to progress, there's no way they're going to take the rest of the QoL changes from World without also lifting the assigned quests system.

I was still puzzling over why certain quests weren't appearing hundreds of hours into GU even with the Wiki and app to hand, just an utterly ridiculous glut of unmarked optional content.

So in Rise have they made co-op with friends easier? It was such a pain in the balls for World, albiet amazingly fun once you got everyone in. Hopefully there's no co-op only village hub as well, it was so annoying to have to leave the hub just to go shopping. 

3 minutes ago, Nobuo's Organ said:

GU was the last hurrah for the Wiki / MHGUDB app basically being a requirement so you'd know which quests to do to progress, there's no way they're going to take the rest of the QoL changes from World without also lifting the assigned quests system.

I was still puzzling over why certain quests weren't appearing hundreds of hours into GU even with the Wiki and app to hand, just an utterly ridiculous glut of unmarked optional content.

yeah :(  I loved the game but eventually gave up on it as I just couldn't progress.  Even using the wiki I found it hard.  Knowing that there was an assigned quest system in World makes me happy.

I still don't really see why people found multiplayer so difficult in World. If you're in the same session, you just join the posted quests. If not, let the leader fire an SOS. Or, just have someone create a session, and invite everyone. The only tricky thing is joining with good randoms, which has always been 50/50 at best anyway. 

I prefer World's system to searching for lobbies, joining, seeing that they're actually now farming some shit instead of the Urgent that they advertised, and repeating until you get lucky. What I hope they drop is the insistence on everyone watching the cutscenes before anyone can join.

Seeing people in the Direct thread call this game blurry and low res was some utterly bizarre shit after all the speculation of this running on possible Switch Pro hardware. People were really trying to downplay everything on offer because they didn't get their Zeldas and Metroids. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I like the two with the pockets but aye the others are pretty forgettable. I got a few from the MH range they did a few years ago and one of the X ones.

Looks like a quick cash grab. A shame as some MH Uniqlo t-shirts were really awesome back in the days. I still treasure my Monster Hunter University tee.

In other news, I gave the MH Rise demo a proper go for the first time today, and boy is it good. The perfect balance between World and the earlier MH games imo. Re-introducing the blood also is most welcome.

I was feeling frivolous earlier and preordered this from ShopTo for £35. Despite loving MH4 and World, and putting nearly 100 hours into both, I'm somewhat cool on this, and I'm not sure why, really. Maybe because I don't think that the Switch hardware is up to it, although the previews I've skimmed through say that performance is rock solid, so what do I know?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this being my new handheld obsession. I've never really engaged with the online aspect of MH, either, so if anyone fancies doing some hunts then let me know!

22 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I was feeling frivolous earlier and preordered this from ShopTo for £35. Despite loving MH4 and World, and putting nearly 100 hours into both, I'm somewhat cool on this, and I'm not sure why, really. Maybe because I don't think that the Switch hardware is up to it, although the previews I've skimmed through say that performance is rock solid, so what do I know?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this being my new handheld obsession. I've never really engaged with the online aspect of MH, either, so if anyone fancies doing some hunts then let me know!

Why not try the demo in the e-shop and judge performance for yourself?

8 hours ago, HarMGM said:

Why not try the demo in the e-shop and judge performance for yourself?

That's a good suggestion, and I've got the demo downloaded. But with the game coming out in a week I think I'll just try it for myself. I can always sell it on if I don't gel with it. I don't really know much about it, except that you can fly around the map.

Is it supposed to be as (relatively) accessible as World was?

Yes it will be as accessible as World. The MH games are always moving forward, they don’t go back if things have been improved.

Dunno what you mean by fly around the map, you can ride on dogs now, but no flying.

So looking forward to this, for the past few weeks I haven't been about to get into any other games cuz I know they wont stand a chance when this comes out.

I love diving into a new Monster Hunter game, farming that first OP armor set, getting to Rathalos and then stopping to farm and make his set (I do this every game) and then pushing the weapon tree as far as I can to get some super powerful weapon as soon as I can grab it. Is it Friday yet?