Monster Hunter: Rise & MH Stories 2. Switch bound. March 2021. Featuring doggo.

12 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Are there any reviews of this from a newcomer’s perspective? I gave up on the demo after about five minutes of standard RPG mechanics and standard third person game mechanics being piled on top of me and none of the current reviews are selling me on this. Like, Eurogamer’s review says it’s the best Switch game since BotW and it may be the most accessible yet, but the review itself did nothing to demystify what the monster smashing game’s appeal is and makes me feel like I’m missing 15 years of context.

The demo gives you absolutely no feel for the game beyond the moment-by-moment monster smashing, whereas the whole point of Monster Hunter is that that's just a part of the framework, a means to an end.

The real meat of the game is in upgrading your equipment, working out what parts you need to craft whatever piece of armour or weapon you want next that'll give you the advantage you need to take down the next creature. Picking up some hapless dinosaur and making its life hell as you gather 3 livers, 8 toenails and a scrotum to make yourself new boots. Combining armour sets in just the right combination to give you poison resistance without other disadvantages. Crafting a nice hat simply because it makes you look fabulous. Working out that you're never going to be able to cut a creature's tail off with a hammer (it took me an embarrassingly long time to realise this) and learning to use a long sword just for fun.

It's all that stuff that makes the game compulsive, I mean obviously it helps that the actual monster smashing is also excellent but without that personal investment in the situation, a demo is never going to sell you on it in isolation. Now that side of it has its moments too obviously, most notably in multiplayer where you can really team up to torment the poor beasts and where the grind seems to vanish in the fun of it all, but it really is only part of the overall picture.

Nobody ever bought a Monster Hunter game on the back of the demo. But I don't know anyone who's bought one and put some time into it, and not liked it. You really do have to just give it a go.

@Alex W.

I feel your problem is one of disassociation. You talk of learning mechanics, and while that can get you through most games, it's not enough in this case. In Street Fighter, knowing how to Hadoken gives you an advantage over someone who doesn't, but it doesn't help at all when you come up against a competent opponent. Throw a hundred fireballs at me? You might hit with a couple, but I'm punishing you if that's the full range of your tactics.

It's the same in Monster Hunter. Whip out that Great Sword, get it to True Charge, and swing away. Tigrex won't be there waiting for you to hit it, and will probably hit you out of the process. Instead, you need to know how, when, and even WHERE to start your attacks. Arrekz doesn't just coincidentally land those big swings right to the face to interrupt Nergigante's divebomb attack. He has studied, and practiced.

The real key? Emotional investment. Accidental big hits are all well and good, but they're nothing compared to the one you planned, set up for, and executed perfectly! You need to start hating the monsters you're fighting. But, respect them, too. You need to understand on an unconscious level that when Rathian moves her head like that, it's your cue to get out of the way of the poison tail flip she's about to send your way. But, when she moves her head like that, you can stand your ground and charge a Superpound to the head that will stop the fire and possibly even put her on the floor.

And if this sounds wanky? Then, maybe it's just not for you. I mean no disrespect with this, either. I can't do turn-based strategy because I invest too much. I rush in, make mistakes, and can never draw on the patience that is needed. Same with stealth games. I'm all about attack!

I'm not sure that just knowing a weapon's moveset is enough. It comes down to knowing when to not use all the tools at your disposal. A kick to the face can be just as good as a Dragon Punch, after all.

Yes, its coming back to me now. I did use the Greatsword. I found it to be satsifying but slow and repetative. What is a fun weapon that has a higher skill ceiling? The gunlance and bow look tempting and I remember being wowed by how cool the wolverine claw things were when my buddies were using it.

Re: Alex W, for me the combat is fun but its only a small part of the game. And the clue is in the name, its hunting down the monsters over time, learning their routines, their strengths and weaknesses, how to use the environment to your advantage and do stuff like pit monsters against each other. I enjoy the exploration, the co-op, the working towards longer term goals just as much as the hunt. Even when out doing one mission you can be working towards a bunch of other stuff via gathering or getting drops off other monsters.

There's a really good progression system in the game which you can't get from a demo, where you gradually unlock new environments, crazy new monsters, weapons and armour so your perseverance is really rewarded, especially when you unlock entirely new zones or story missions. Boss monsters create a good challenge forcing you to upgrade and learn the game properly, but reward you with mighty loot and story progression. In World there was just so much content you were always seeing something new. For me though its a shame they gated off the end of the story with monsters that required a lot of grind to get good enough equipment stats to contend with. For me the grind is the only issue I had with the game; whilst it was amazingly fun the first few times to fight a new monster, I didn't relish doing it again and again just to get a tail, or 3 claws, or whatever. Although that may not be such an issue in Rise (I haven't read the reviews too deeply because of spoilers).

It’s something I’ve been thinking about a lot seeing as this came out about the same time as I revisited Pyre and DoA5 Plus’s thorough training mode. A sense of “okay, I can do this action, now what?”. Although with Pyre I am starting to feel out a shape of the game, whether it’s how it’s actually meant to be played or not. It’s certainly not something I am averse to pushing through but every time someone talks about an “accessible” game in one of these genres it feels like being carefully taught the alphabet and then being handed War and Peace. :lol: 

After reading the reviews I couldn't resist - 36.99 from Smyths as well.

After finding MH4X on the Switch absolutely impenetrable from a story progress perspective - seeing this is much more straightforward makes me happy.  (I loved previous MHs on 3DS,Wii and WiiU)

7 minutes ago, Welrain said:

Never played a Monster Hunter before...the frankly stellar reviews mean I’m going in.

Even being more streamlined and accessible it'll still be a bugger to get into so use this thread to ask questions and don't get put off if it doesn't click immediately.

Should take bets on who is going to be that person who...

A: Goes on about clunky combat
B: Complains about lack of a lock-on
C: why does it takes me 50 mins to kill a monster! 
D: The monster keeps running off and I can't find it!

E: Why can't I mash the buttons to win!
F: Feels bad for the Monsters
G: Weapons are too slow
H: No HP bar! How do I know when the monster is about to die!

Then a week later wants to marry the game.

I’m buzzing for this, Without blowing my own trumpet and sounding like a twat I think the Monster Hunter series is one of the only games that I’m “Good” at, I love nothing more than getting 200 hours into a Monster Hunter then helping people that have just started through the early levels. Can’t wait for Friday

Trumpet-blowing twat.

This is one of those thing I really want to get and have bought three of them over the years but still come away after ten hours or so completely unhooked. Pokemon is exactly the same - there is obviously something I'm missing but I'm missing it all the same.

Just now, CovisGod said:

I’m buzzing for this, Without blowing my own trumpet and sounding like a twat I think the Monster Hunter series is one of the only games that I’m “Good” at, I love nothing more than getting 200 hours into a Monster Hunter then helping people that have just started through the early levels. Can’t wait for Friday

haha same, played it from the first game and it's the only game I think yeah I am alright at this.

17 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

yo

9 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Oh dear, I wasn't planning to get this but the reviews are just too good! I eventually got bored of World and never killed the final two bosses - too much grinding and too much repetition. But I did enjoy it a lot up to that point. I'm pretty sure I was a great sword player, or was it hammer? It was something big and slow anyway. Maybe the 'mukkers I played with can remember? Anyway, this time I will have to try something new, any recommendations welcome. 

Kinda bummed that this is Switch exclusive for now. The graphics and environments were a big selling point for me and I'm not arsed about handheld mode. But its multiplayer communication that I'm most concerned about, no party chat - and typing on Switch is awful (see Animal Crossing).

Nevertheless, looking forward to getting addicted to this for a few weeks. 

Regarding multiplayer. It's the one thing that sounds improved and I'm looking forward to!

The system on MHW meant I never spoke to anyone playing on it for 125 hours! Everyone doing their own thing, or joining for one hunt then out.

The 3DS online was MILES better. I chatted and arm-wrestled and danced hunted multiple monsters a lot more on the trusty old 3DS, as crazy as that sounds.

2 hours ago, Melon_Bread said:

RE: point F. What is your motivation in going out and twatting all these monsters? Is there a reason baked into the story? Have we tried talking to them first?

2 hours ago, Melon_Bread said:

They're just monsters, maaaaaaaaaaaan. They're just trying to live their lives! MURDERERS!

After the reviews I put in an order

Annoyingly though Shopto have sent it via RM Tracked 48 when I selected the 24hr option.  May not get it till Saturday now

I wasn't going to bother with Rise but the reviews pushed me into sticking in a pre-order. Was kidding myself thinking I'd had my fill with MHW. Hopefully it'll arrive tomorrow.

Looking forward to doing some online hunts too.

10 hours ago, CheekyLee said:

@Alex W.

The real key? Emotional investment. Accidental big hits are all well and good, but they're nothing compared to the one you planned, set up for, and executed perfectly! You need to start hating the monsters you're fighting. But, respect them, too. You need to understand on an unconscious level that when Rathian moves her head like that, it's your cue to get out of the way of the poison tail flip she's about to send your way. But, when she moves her head like that, you can stand your ground and charge a Superpound to the head that will stop the fire and possibly even put her on the floor.

That should be in that new live-action movie.

11 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Picking up some hapless dinosaur and making its life hell as you gather 3 livers, 8 toenails and a scrotum to make yourself new boots.

I think this should be the strapline of the entire MH:R advertising campaign.

2 hours ago, KRP said:

RE: point F. What is your motivation in going out and twatting all these monsters? Is there a reason baked into the story? Have we tried talking to them first?

They're monsters, that should be enough. Also they look pretty when turned into armour. 

11 hours ago, deerokus said:

They're monsters, that should be enough. Also they look pretty when turned into armour. 

The monsters are so brilliantly animated, it really gives them a life-like character. I was watching the trailer for Rise, and my girlfriend said why do you have to kill these amazing creatures? It's like Capcom has done too good of a job.

1 minute ago, KRP said:

The monsters are so brilliantly animated, it really gives them a life-like character. I was watching the trailer for Rise, and my girlfriend said why do you have to kill these amazing creatures? It's like Capcom has done too good of a job.

Thats always been the best part for me - each monster feels like an individual, like it has a personality.

6 minutes ago, KRP said:

There's definitely sometimes an element of feeling sorry for them as they're dribbling and limping away, and you're chasing after them with a massive hammer trying to beat their brains out. But those scrotums ain't gonna collect themselves, you know.

Besides, there are plenty of monsters in the roster that are just belligerent arseholes by design (hello Bazelgeuse! Hello Deviljho!) so there's no need to feel guilty about their demise. You're doing the world a favour, really.

“The best game on the Switch since Breath of the Wild” (Eurogamer)

Wow..... I wasnt really bothered before, having never played a Monster Hunter game, but im so, so IN now.

6 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

This thread is going to be a glorious car crash this weekend.

Totally. I cannot wait.

Nothing better than convincing people who hate Monster Hunter to keep playing and then watching their conversion from hate to love.

Well I've just started it, called my cat Rob and my dog Bob. I remember trying out the first on PS2 many moons ago, never gave it enough time but think the little I played was ok, pretty sure the network adapter was required but I didn't have one so probably all a bit pointless anyway. Bought Ultimate on Wii U but immediatly went on a long, long hiatus and hadn't gotten further than the starting area by then. I bought world soon after its release and haven't touched it since. So silly to pay full whack for a game only to become distracted by something other.

I'm determined to at least kill a beasty in this before I inevitably walk away due to some random bullshit.

Looks a lovely and vibrant world on that little screen.