Monster Hunter: Rise. Sunbreak confirmed for June 30th, 2022

HarMGM

The key to enjoying MH World for me was to be patient and take time to learn. Not just with the fighting but all of it: preparing for the hunt, tweaking your radial menus, making loadouts for specific monsters, reading the hunters guide. Treat it like preparing yourself for every little advantage you can squeeze out of the systems.

And this patience will be put to good use tomorrow as I wait for Hermes to deliver my stuff.

@Alan Stock yes you were definitely chop chop Great Sword in World. Had a thing for mounting too if I remember right. I was trip trip Longsword (Frank).

MH4U was the game that finally convinced me to get a n3DS, but I “only” played 20-odd hours (which is nothing in MH terms). I also bought Generations, but have still never played the bloody thing.

I genuinely couldn’t wait for World, but then I’d barely started it before getting distracted. Went back in January of this year, probably thanks to the hype for Rise, started completely from scratch, and as of tonight have logged well over 200 hours. Now I get it.

With that said, I’m still not really ready for Rise, as I’m still only partway through Iceborne(‘s story). Not only that, but instead of trying to get through it quickly, like a sane person, so that I was ready for Rise, I’ve still been happily pootling around doing all the optional quests, and now I’m learning another bloody weapon*.

So yeah, I think I’m about to start trying to juggle Monster Hunter games. I’m so, so fucked.

(Seriously though, what do I do here? I guess I’m going to need to play a different weapon/different weapons on Rise, or I’m going to confuse the hell out of myself...)

* if you’d told me five years ago, after I’d just tried all the weapon tutorials on MH4U, that a game or two down the line I’d be a Greatsword main who was falling in love with the Lance, I’d have probably thought you were a lunatic, but here we are. Apparently I like the weapons that are relatively straightforward to use but tricky to master, and/or am massively overcompensating.

Are ‘boss’ fights in this just a grindathon of spamming a variety of attacks for 10 minutes or more, with relatively low skill requirements?

Never played one before, but the few big monster fight videos I’ve seen seem like that.

You could try that, but (when playing solo at least) you'll spend half the fight on your ass / chugging potions to heal up.

It's all about learning each monster's behaviour and your weapon (they all have different mechanics, not just different movesets) to the point you know where and when you can get hits in and get out safely again, and when you can go ham (and how to most effectively go ham on the current monster with your current weapon).

There are weapons like the Longsword and Lance which theoretically let you stand in front of a monster and do what you want, but that requires skill with the weapon, not being in the wrong places at the wrong time for that weapon, and being able to predict and react to the monster's attacks with precise timing.

7 hours ago, jonamok said:

Are ‘boss’ fights in this just a grindathon of spamming a variety of attacks for 10 minutes or more, with relatively low skill requirements?

Never played one before, but the few big monster fight videos I’ve seen seem like that.

You have successfully described exactly what Monster Hunter is not. It's the opposite to spamming attack style games.

Yes, they have made the recent game a lot easier so spamming might work on weak monsters, but even a Rathian will punish you big time if you run in spamming attack.

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

Cool, but even if I play skilfully and knowledgeably, am I still doing the same thing for 10-20 minutes to beat the boss? Or can it be over much quicker than that?

Normally every fight is different, esp online as you never know what the other players are going to do and the Monsters will randomly switch targets and move around the map, they feel like living creatures and can be unpredictable sometimes, they also fight each other so you get these massive battles going on mid fight, a bit like Kong and the T-rex in King Kong.

I this game you can also ride on the Monsters and control them for a bit making them beat up on the other Monster that might be in the area.

However if you do not get some sort of skill with the weapon you could either die 3 times and that's quest over or chase the Monster around the map for 50 mins and timeout.

9 hours ago, JDubYes said:

(Seriously though, what do I do here? I guess I’m going to need to play a different weapon/different weapons on Rise, or I’m going to confuse the hell out of myself...)

I wouldn't try and juggle both games. The weapon skills are different, the feel of the games are different, the QoL improvements in the newer game will be sorely missed when you go back to Iceborne.

Either finish Iceborne then move onto Rise, or just make the switch now - depends how invested you are in your current game. If you jump across now then you will ride the wave of the game's multiplayer lobbies, which might make things easier, but in my experience Monster Hunter games have a very long tail anyway so if you play in six months' time then you should still have few difficulties finding online games.

Yeah, that’s probably the way. Yet another MH I’ve managed to miss the early running on that way though, which would be a shame. I almost certainly won’t be dropping MHW/Iceborne just yet no matter what, though - my gf (who lives 700 miles away, in another country, and as such, for fairly obvious reasons, I haven’t seen in months) is still playing, and is only an Assignment or two behind me again now.

She’s put a bit less time in than me, done a little less of the optional stuff,  and used the Defender stuff through the base game a fair bit more, so I think Iceborne is proving a bit more of a jump for her. I fought (and killed) Barioth yesterday, and I expect to be able to hear her screaming at the tv from here when she comes up against him (headsets or no).

(Partly my fault, of course - I always make myself take stuff down solo in games, but then when she struggles I just jump in and try and help her over the line, which I think is probably only helping in the most obvious way. She’s definitely nearly always got (or getting) them down on her own anyway, but I’m a bit of a crutch I think.)

43 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

Normally every fight is different, esp online as you never know what the other players are going to do and the Monsters will randomly switch targets and move around the map, they feel like living creatures and can be unpredictable sometimes, they also fight each other so you get these massive battles going on mid fight, a bit like Kong and the T-rex in King Kong.

I this game you can also ride on the Monsters and control them for a bit making them beat up on the other Monster that might be in the area.

Thank you, that sounds rather ace.

2 hours ago, jonamok said:

Cool, but even if I play skilfully and knowledgeably, am I still doing the same thing for 10-20 minutes to beat the boss? Or can it be over much quicker than that?

The first time I beat Great Jaggi in Tri took me right to the time limit, desperately looking for herbs to regain health. I was into the last 2 minutes when he. Finally stayed down.

The last time I fought Great Jaggi was in the tutorials for 4U or Gen Ultimate, I forget which. He took about a minute to go down. I probably had better equipment, but the main difference was that I now know what I'm doing. I could probably kick him to death naked in less time than it used to take me at this point.

I don't know if you can still get the demo, but try it out. Great Izuchi will take 10 minutes or so to start with, but you should be able to get that time down to less than 5 if you keep at it. Some are doing it in less than 2, if you want a challenge! 

38 minutes ago, JDubYes said:

Yeah, that’s probably the way. Yet another MH I’ve managed to miss the early running on that way though, which would be a shame. I almost certainly won’t be dropping MHW/Iceborne just yet no matter what, though - my gf (who lives 700 miles away, in another country, and as such, for fairly obvious reasons, I haven’t seen in months) is still playing, and is only an Assignment or two behind me again now.

She’s put a bit less time in than me, done a little less of the optional stuff,  and used the Defender stuff through the base game a fair bit more, so I think Iceborne is proving a bit more of a jump for her. I fought (and killed) Barioth yesterday, and I expect to be able to hear her screaming at the tv from here when she comes up against him (headsets or no).

(Partly my fault, of course - I always make myself take stuff down solo in games, but then when she struggles I just jump in and try and help her over the line, which I think is probably only helping in the most obvious way. She’s definitely nearly always got (or getting) them down on her own anyway, but I’m a bit of a crutch I think.)

Can you persuade her to start Rise with you, perhaps? It has a more traditional Monster Hunter setup, where half the game (Village quests) is solo only, and the other half (Hub quests) is designed for multiplayer - but I think they've made the Village stuff easier in this so it might actually encourage her to tackle the solo quests. Then the Hub quests should be decently challenging for you both. I think you'd both enjoy this setup a lot.

30 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Can you persuade her to start Rise with you, perhaps? It has a more traditional Monster Hunter setup, where half the game (Village quests) is solo only, and the other half (Hub quests) is designed for multiplayer - but I think they've made the Village stuff easier in this so it might actually encourage her to tackle the solo quests. Then the Hub quests should be decently challenging for you both. I think you'd both enjoy this setup a lot.

Oh, she wants Rise... and a Switch.

The prices for them over there are eye-watering though, and she hasn’t taken the plunge yet.