Monster Hunter: Rise. Sunbreak confirmed for June 30th, 2022

HarMGM

9 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

I would say that it took me about an hour to get past all the shitty busywork, but that was due to taking time making the pets and myself. You can easily skip all that and go with presets to save time, because you can remake, rename, and even hire new pets to your heart's content.

Great news. This is the best QoL improvement so far for me. The paid for voucher system in World for changing this stuff was very annoying and made me spend far too much time on character creation, then I'd decide I didn't like what I'd made when I saw it playing in the game.

I've got this downloading, ready for when I get home. I've always liked the idea of getting into these games, but never quite managed it. I did have some good experiences with World though, so here's hoping this is the one that finally clicks. :D

Pro Tip - change your weapon in the equipment menu using the item box in the centre of town. Only just realised and seems you have access to all of them from the start.

Just did my first gathering mission, its all coming back to me. The graphics have taken a big hit on switch for the environments, but the characters and details look pretty good. The atmosphere is intact though, great music and ambient sound effects.

Gameplay-wise obviously I'm just at the start but the addition of the Wirebug seems to add a ton of freedom. Instead of being constricted to these corridor>clearing type level designs, now you can go anywhere using your wirebug which is effectively a grappling hook. Plus you can wallrun and climb if you have the stamina. Its a bit clunky to use so far but exciting in how it should make navigating less repetative - you can basically go anywhere if you have the wirebug quota and stamina for it. I don't seem to be able to find a normal jump button, but if you are riding your doggo the doggo will auto-jump up low enough walls. Having a rideable doggo is already a great boon to the game - although the tutorial has been telling me to ride my Palico it always defaults to the doggo when I press the mount button, what's that all about? 

Loading times are instant in the village which is great. Between missions its probably 15-20 seconds. So in general they are much better than PS4 World, which became quite an annoyance.

Is there anywhere you can test out the weapons or is it just a case of going into normal missions with them equipped to get a feel for them?

20 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Is there anywhere you can test out the weapons or is it just a case of going into normal missions with them equipped to get a feel for them?

You know those tutorials you were bombarded with? One of em told you about the training area in back of the village.

5 hours ago, Padaxes said:

Im interested !  What MR are you ? I am 150 hours in and finished the Iceborne story a while back , there is no end in sight on the content after finishing!  Feel free to join me in the MH:World thread :) 

i will! I’m MR9, I think? I have a couple of Level 10 weapons now, and fought Nargacuga and Glavenus for the first time this morning, so I’m probably only a third of the way through or something.

26 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

You know those tutorials you were bombarded with? One of em told you about the training area in back of the village.

Ta, I had forgotten to check out the companion area. I was just giving the Charge Blade a go, quite complicated but I like the uniqueness of the idea. I'm guilty of not really trying any of the weapons in World beyond a quick blast in training, this time I think I will give each a go. Its quite the mistake to stick with a weapon for half the game, spend all your resources upgrading it, and then realise there was something much more to your taste out there!

I tried out the gun weapon in the arena, I hated it. Did anyone enjoy the ranged weapons in World? Quite tempted to try out the fast melee weapons this time around like dual blades, should be fun with all the aerobatics you can do.

Have to give a big shout out to the music once again. Its amazing.

1 minute ago, Alan Stock said:

Ta, I had forgotten to check out the companion area. I was just giving the Charge Blade a go, quite complicated but I like the uniqueness of the idea. I'm guilty of not really trying any of the weapons in World beyond a quick blast in training, this time I think I will give each a go. Its quite the mistake to stick with a weapon for half the game, spend all your resources upgrading it, and then realise there was something much more to your taste out there!

I normally play the charge blade first, I love it, it's amazingly satisfying to hit that big discharge attack but also really easy to miss with it.

1 hour ago, Alan Stock said:

I don't seem to be able to find a normal jump button, but if you are riding your doggo the doggo will auto-jump up low enough walls. Having a rideable doggo is already a great boon to the game - although the tutorial has been telling me to ride my Palico it always defaults to the doggo when I press the mount button, what's that all about?

There's a jump button for doggo (R2 maybe). When you get more used to the wirebug it's almost a jump button. You can also hang from the wirebug for as long as you have swing (A for that I think).

AFAIK you can only ride the dog (Palamute) so not sure about the tutorial there.

Ah, probably just read it wrong. I'm so used to seeing Pala and immediatedly thinking of the cattos. We'll have to set up a mukkers guild again once we're all into the game a wee bit. Playing in the trainging ground at the moment and the bow seems a lot more fun than the guns, quite satisfying. I play quite a few FPSs though so I should probably be taking a break from the aim game!

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

I don't think the postie is turning up today at all. Oh well, I guess that's me a fiver in credit on ShopTo :/

That's odd, I think I ordered after you and went for the cheap 'free' delivery option and it came after lunch.  Have you got it?  There's still hope! 

I wasn't expecting the steel box or the cat/doggo keyrings...if anyone wants them, PM me, they will just sit in a drawer...

25 minutes ago, Mitchell said:

That's odd, I think I ordered after you and went for the cheap 'free' delivery option and it came after lunch.  Have you got it?  There's still hope! 

I wasn't expecting the steel box or the cat/doggo keyrings...if anyone wants them, PM me, they will just sit in a drawer...

I'll take the dog one!

Yeah they turned up about 20 minutes ago. I feel sorry for the poor bugger still doing his rounds :(

Christ the first hour of this is an absolute mess of tutorials and handholding. Finally getting to the point where it’ll let me do some quests. 

Looks absolutely spectacular for a Switch game though and I’m sure it’s going to be excellent once it gets going. 

11 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

They have really nailed the feel of the old Monster Hunter games combined with the new stuff world brought to the table.

So far this is ticking all the boxes.

Couldn't agree more! Loving it.

Currently on 3* Village Quests and really enjoying the Hunting Horn. Nice to play a different weapon after years of maining the same two. 

31 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Christ the first hour of this is an absolute mess of tutorials and handholding. Finally getting to the point where it’ll let me do some quests. 

Looks absolutely spectacular for a Switch game though and I’m sure it’s going to be excellent once it gets going. 

It sort of feels like it teaches you everything and nothing all at once. So I know about loads of different types of bugs and how to ride my dog but it's not really given me a combat tutorial so I don't know if there's a lock on. Strange. 

7 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

It sort of feels like it teaches you everything and nothing all at once. So I know about loads of different types of bugs and how to ride my dog but it's not really given me a combat tutorial so I don't know if there's a lock on. Strange. 

A: Goes on about clunky combat
B: Complains about lack of a lock-on
C: why does it takes me 50 mins to kill a monster! 
D: The monster keeps running off and I can't find it!

E: Why can't I mash the buttons to win!
F: Feels bad for the Monsters
G: Weapons are too slow
H: No HP bar! How do I know when the monster is about to die!

Awesome, I get to mark off B: on my MH bingo card!

There is a soft lock on, I think, I don't use it really, Monster Hunter doesn't really do lock on as you need to target specific weak spots on the Monsters, esp the bigger ones.