Monster Hunter: Rise. Sunbreak confirmed for June 30th, 2022

HarMGM

4 minutes ago, wretcherd said:

Another top tip, turn on player silhouette under Options > Game Settings, so you can see your hunter when big things are on screen.

Also if you don't want to save the photos you take off everything to you Switch the option to turn off"Synchronized Picture Save" is at the bottom of Game Settings.

I’d completely missed the fact you can hang in the air, not sure if it told me or not but I didn’t pick up on it. That should stop my character kicking backwards off anything he can’t climb, at least. 

It’s a measure of just how bad the tutorials are in this that there are people here who can’t find the training area, or don’t know how to use potions, but we’ve all done a mandatory 5-minute tutorial on the use of the in-game camera. 

Last night I struggled to work out the online side of things, most lobbies I joined just had three people standing around and no-one starting a quest (or joining any I started). In the end I found a lobby where people were in a quest, joined it partway through, then they killed the monster before I even caught up with them! Then all disbanded when we got back to town. Very frustrating. 

10 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

I'm curious as to the kind of things you are talking about in terms of stuff from older games they've included in this that you had missed in World, and what they ditched from World that you didn't like (aside from the revival of silliness that you mentioned). I only played one of the Monster Hunter PSP games for a few zones and since then World is the only one I played fully, so I'm interested to hear what's changed.

I may have beeb being a bit unfair to World, to be honest. Don't misunderstand me, I think World is utterly amazing, and a quite brilliant game. However, it always felt a little too AAA for me. While the graphical fidelity is beautiful, it's also less stylish. Less artistic. To me, World always lacked some of the charm that is outside of the main gameplay. The little bits, walking around the village. Mail felynes. The way the villagers talk to you, their personalities. 

The colour, if I were to try to crystalise it into a single word. In 4U, I was able to make a suit of armour that was literally a chef's outfit. I could equip dual blades that were actual beer tankards, or a Gunlance that was a giant cat's paw. None of that kind of stuff made it into World, but in this I've already seen a hunting horn that is basically Khezu's neck. 

It's the feeling of variety, I suppose. Khezu is a perfect example, because while I've never been a fan I can appreciate that it's a unique skeleton, and is a different kind of fight. World had a lot of monsters that just felt like retreads. Again, I may be being overly critical, because there's nothing actually wrong with Anjanath. It just looks too much like something I would have designed as a cool monster when I was 10. Tobi Kadachi lacks any kind of threat, but at least they got that right with Odogaron. And Bazelgeuse is simply genius, even I can admit that. Such a shame, then, that their armour and weapons didn't have any kind of visual uniqueness to them.  It started promisingly, with the Pukei armour, but by halfway through the game it felt that there was nothing exciting to look forward to. New armours looked drab, new weapons were just the same weapon with maybe a change of tint.

5 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

The colour, if I were to try to crystalise it into a single word. In 4U, I was able to make a suit of armour that was literally a chef's outfit. I could equip dual blades that were actual beer tankards, or a Gunlance that was a giant cat's paw. None of that kind of stuff made it into World, but in this I've already seen a hunting horn that is basically Khezu's neck. 

I think it did , but its just in end game really, now I've advanced to Safi'Jiva I'm seeing some nonsense costumes.

Personally I prefer the more serious tone of World, it's much more appealing. 

Frozen_Tuna_Display.thumb.jpg.cc782c76e373cdbc79fae1604c9545c8.jpg

Jumping guide:

Hold R + forward to climb certain ledges.

Hold R to run off any edge and you'll auto-jump.

Or while on dog, ZR to jump, then B to leap off.

In mid-air, A to hang in place, then B to air-dodge in any direction.

Then ZL+X to wirebug jump, into A hang or B air-dodge again.

Repeat if necessary.

Next, if you're feeling fancy, try landing one of these jumps on a wall and holding R + left or right to wall-run.

This is incredible. Wirefall completely switches up the tempo of fights and being able to wirefall straight into a heal or back into an unsheath attack is so good. Mid-fight sharpening has stopped being annoying in any way now you can hop on the doggo (the default radial menu binding for this is well-placed) and run around while you do it. The uber-traversable maps are a delight with all the new mobility of the wirebug and the doggo. I had fights against Barroth and Royal Ludroth which were interesting, when's the last time that was a thing?

I've just reached the first Rampage quest but I really need to stop playing now until my copy of the game turns up on Wednesday (or Thursday :seanr: ) :ph34r:

57 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

If you want an indication of the tone of Rise, just pull up the camera, press the right stick and go into the pose menu.

To be fair you can do all those poses in World.

I am LOVING this, it's really giving me Tri or 4U vibes, I dunno if it's the colours, the returning monsters from those games, or that it's back on a Nintendo console.

The new monsters have all be great, I am right before the first rampage quests so looking forward to that, had to stop cuz been playing nonstop all morning and don't want to rush.

Oh and the pizza cutter or death charge blade move is amazing!

Did one of the early gathering quests and completely forgot about the large wirebugs and jewel flower thingies so I'm running around going "THEY CAN'T BE ANY FUCKING HIGHER WHERE THE FUCK ARE THEY". All the while there's like 3 more levels of verticality or some shit.

Also spent a good 20 minutes trying to figure out how to activate something to cool down the gunlance so I can use Wyvern's Fire again and then googled it to find it's a timed cool down. Derp.

37 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

I am LOVING this, it's really giving me Tri or 4U vibes, I dunno if it's the colours, the returning monsters from those games, or that it's back on a Nintendo console.

I think it might be as simple as just Arzuros, because I have the same feeling. There's a similar peaceful vibe in the village that was never present in World.

1 minute ago, moosegrinder said:

Did one of the early gathering quests and completely forgot about the large wirebugs and jewel flower thingies so I'm running around going "THEY CAN'T BE ANY FUCKING HIGHER WHERE THE FUCK ARE THEY". All the while there's like 3 more levels of verticality or some shit.

I almost timed out on that quest, shouting "THERE ARE NO MORE FUCKING MUSHROOMS!"

My girlfriend was concerned.

2 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

I prefer the fidelity of World but it's like they turned the saturation waaaaaaaaaay down so it just looked dull and washed out despite the actual art direction being ace. Straight from the off this is bold and colourful and bonkers and I am here for it.

I was just wondering why the switch has to make all the colours so muted and dull compared to world. 

Quite enjoying this, its very overwhelming for a newbie though

Started with the dual blades but have just changed to the sword and shield to see what that is like

Whats the best weapon for a total newbie to the series?

Just now, MikeF said:

Quite enjoying this, its very overwhelming for a newbie though

Started with the dual blades but have just changed to the sword and shield to see what that is like

Whats the best weapon for a total newbie to the series?

Sword and shield or longsword probably

I'm getting a bit fed up with this. My gaming time is pretty limited and this feels far too much like hard work.

I've had a go at a couple of quests using the bow and arrow, but changing between arrow types and coating types, not to mention special attacks and dodges (and wirebug attacks and evasions), is all a bit fiddly. I might just choose the hammer and go round smashing stuff instead.

20 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I'm getting a bit fed up with this. My gaming time is pretty limited and this feels far too much like hard work.

I've had a go at a couple of quests using the bow and arrow, but changing between arrow types and coating types, not to mention special attacks and dodges (and wirebug attacks and evasions), is all a bit fiddly. I might just choose the hammer and go round smashing stuff instead.

Why did you buy it?

30 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

Sword and shield or longsword probably

Cheers, am giving the Sword and Shield a go when I next play it (later today)

I think I need to find a good newbie guide to figure out everything, but I am enjoying it

Plays really well using the Hori Split Pad Pro too

3 minutes ago, MikeF said:

Cheers, am giving the Sword and Shield a go when I next play it (later today)

I think I need to find a good newbie guide to figure out everything, but I am enjoying it

Plays really well using the Hori Split Pad Pro too

I would go with Hammer or Greatsword, maybe Longsword for good beginner weapons, the Sword and Shield has this reputation of being beginner but it's got quite complicated in the last few games, it's the only weapon you can use items while the weapon is out. Hammer and Greatsword are really straight forward, tho slow, longsword is totally anime crazy moves.

3 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

So what about it are you bouncing off?

I don't know, really. It just seems a lot less approachable than World did, and the wirebug stuff adds another layer of complexity. I'll stick with it, like I say, but it's not the best of beginnings. I think it would have been better if they'd thrown you straight into a quest and introduced you to the mechanics bit by bit, on the job, as opposed to all of once and out of context.

Loving this so far. I got into MH through 3U, skipped World and all buildup of this so I’m sure a lot of the wee changes are a carry over from the last title but it says a lot about how accepting I was of dated design that I audibly gasped to learn that in this you can press the gather button once - you don’t even have to hold it and watch the same animation play through four or five times! And at the end of a quest, there’s a “Take All” option. Imagine!

Looks fucking brilliant for a game running on essentially a four year old Android tablet too. 

20 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

How do I craft traps? I’m on 3star quests and there don’t seem to be any traps in my trap section of the crafting thing? 

Traps are normally trap tool and thunderbug for shock trap and trap tool and net for pitfall.

19 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

How do I craft traps? I’m on 3star quests and there don’t seem to be any traps in my trap section of the crafting thing? 

Sounds like you may not have the materials. You needed to buy trap tools from a vendor in World. Those plus Thunderbugs for shock traps or nets (from spiderwebs) and ivy for pitfall I think...not made any yet in this either so could be wrong.

For those bouncing off: Longsword is an excellent idea, you can slay well with two or three moves plus evade. Also, you don't need to understand or use everything to progress. I hardly used wirebugs on my hunt just now, forgot they were there...