Monster Hunter: Rise. Sunbreak confirmed for June 30th, 2022

HarMGM

10 minutes ago, MikeF said:

Tranq bombs?  Do you need the bowgun for that, I have only seen tranq ammo so far

There's a crafting menu, but it may be ??? until you successfully make one. I've not yet investigated, because I've known the menu forever!

Spoiler

Sleep herb + Parashroom

Your cat will tell you when the monster is catchable. They are 100% catchable if they have buggered off to sleep, and usually as they are limping away. But sometimes they are incredibly angry and you miss that cue.

I wasn’t interested but ...there is a dog in this??? I love a dog companion in a game.

if I wanted to try and get into this, reckon I should just jump in this one or play world for “free” to get into it? Having this on handheld must help for doing the busy work with the telly on, right?

32 minutes ago, wretcherd said:

Also available for cash from the vendor in the mask outside by the normal quest woman.

Keep an eye of that vendor. If he has a cat stood next to him that means there's a sale on and everything is half price. Thats when you should stock up.

I let my youngest name mine so we have Merlin the palamute (after her teacher’s dog, apparently) and Doofus the cat. 

Enjoying this a lot so far. Although I think it’ll come into its own later on — first few monsters are dropping with ease, so not a lot incentive to get fussy about armour etc. 

11 hours ago, CheekyLee said:

I think it might be as simple as just Arzuros, because I have the same feeling. There's a similar peaceful vibe in the village that was never present in World.

I realised that some of the zones are remakes of the flooded forest and Sandy plains so that’s a big part of why it gives me Tri vibes.

In what has to be the best news ever for veterans, I discovered tonight that you no longer need to be the host to get credit for the urgent hub quests. If you can find it via Join Request, it'll count for you as well!

I'm still not sure what Hunter Connect does, though.

MHW was my first time playing one of these and I never really messed with online much. I've done it quite a bit here and seen what I was missing, it's fun chaos. Had 4 randoms (two Japanese players) and three monsters all battling it out and not a hitch in performance in portable mode. 

I've switched to the Long Sword and am warming up to this a bit more now.

Question: what's the difference between the quests you get from the twin at the bottom of the steps outside and the ones you get from the twin inside the pink/red room?

26 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I've switched to the Long Sword and am warming up to this a bit more now.

Question: what's the difference between the quests you get from the twin at the bottom of the steps outside and the ones you get from the twin inside the pink/red room?

The red room is multiplayer, they will be harder. You can join up with a group or you can choose a specific quest to search for. Or there is a random option that just picks for you.

a bit like the sos system in world.

Thanks @Melon_Bread. I still managed to complete a red room quest solo, so it would appear you don't have to be multiplayer to do them.

I still don't know what weapon to go for. Long Sword is fun but pretty repetitive, and it was this one I used in World, not the Switch Axe, as I thought before, so I don't want it to become too familiar. Maybe I'll go back to the bow.

You can't have two weapons in you at once and switch quickly between them, can you?

21 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Thanks @Melon_Bread. I still managed to complete a red room quest solo, so it would appear you don't have to be multiplayer to do them.

I still don't know what weapon to go for. Long Sword is fun but pretty repetitive, and it was this one I used in World, not the Switch Axe, as I thought before, so I don't want it to become too familiar. Maybe I'll go back to the bow.

You can't have two weapons in you at once and switch quickly between them, can you?

No on-the-fly switching, but you can go to the camp mid-fight.

Try Gunlance! It's very fun once you get into it. Or Hunting Horn, which feels almost broken now. You'll be in pretty much 100% buff uptime with the way it works. Both require a closeness to the monster, and risky play to do the big damage.

Honestly, there are no recommended weapons. Each is its own thing. I feel a need to improve any I don't know, because I want to put stars onto my Guild Card. I mean ... I already can, but I want to be honest. So I've only put 3* against Horn, and a couple of 2s and 1s. 

11 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

No on-the-fly switching, but you can go to the camp mid-fight.

Try Gunlance! It's very fun once you get into it. Or Hunting Horn, which feels almost broken now. You'll be in pretty much 100% buff uptime with the way it works. Both require a closeness to the monster, and risky play to do the big damage.

Honestly, there are no recommended weapons. Each is its own thing. I feel a need to improve any I don't know, because I want to put stars onto my Guild Card. I mean ... I already can, but I want to be honest. So I've only put 3* against Horn, and a couple of 2s and 1s. 

Is the Hunting Horn viable if you expect to play the game solo? I thought it was more something for buffing other party members.

6 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Is the Hunting Horn viable if you expect to play the game solo? I thought it was more something for buffing other party members.

It's amazing now, arguably one of the strongest weapons along with Longsword.

32 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

When I play Horn, I'm doing it to kill monsters. If 3 other players want to support me, that's up to them. Just stay away from the head, that's mine!

I was thinking earlier that the Shrine Ruins map and the jumping around everywhere had a very Sekiro vibe to it. I don't recall fighting big dinosaurs in Sekiro, however. I suppose there's a giant ape and an even bigger snake, though.