IGNORED

Monster Hunter: Rise. Sunbreak confirmed for June 30th, 2022

HarMGM

Using a Barioth hunting horn (toot toot) and a clown suit of mixed armour. 9 hours in and doing 4* quests. Love it, as I knew I would.

Sure, it doesn't have the amazing graphical fidelity of MH World and the zones don't feel as....alive, I guess? But it runs butter smooth and tbh it's no slough at all in the graphics department with everything cranked.

I've been playing this on PC since it was released recently, and I'm really loving it! I've been meaning to check out the series since the original on PS2, but never got around to it for whatever reason, so this is my first one. After an hour or so of being baffled as to how to use the longsword and gunlance* effectively (they felt too slow to even keep up with the first medium-sized monster), I switched to the hammer, found it to have a familiar-feeling heft, moveset and speed, and immediately proceeded to flatten a Giant Izuchi. It felt incredibly satisfying to have things click into place - the early hours are such an overwhelming info-dump I was worried I might never settle into things. Currently I'm going through the four-star village quests and have just switched back to a longsword (some poisonous Wroggi thing) for a change of pace. It has a really addictive gameloop on the whole, but I wanted to ask if I'm missing something major, because I've always heard that it's incredibly important to carefully plan a hunt, and to really 'study' the monsters as much as possible, and understand things such as their habitat, what they desire, and so on. But I've literally just been accepting quests, running over to the target monster, lamping it until it runs away, chasing it down on my Palamute and lamping it again until dead (or, less frequently, capturing it for alternate rewards). If it were not for the bits of foraging and skinning smaller animals I need to do, this would be a fairly straightforward boss rush game. Am I missing half the fun?

*I really like the idea of the gunlance, but I'm not sure I'll gel with that very defensive crouch-walk you do when you unsheathe your weapon. Maybe I just need to get used to putting it away again to dash, etc...

5 hours ago, Klatrymadon said:

I've been playing this on PC since it was released recently...

The older games did have more prep and were slower, but they have been getting more and more streamlined, and Rise pretty much boils it down to boss rush as you say.

Rise is made by the second MH team and they tend to make faster more experimental MH games. I would def recommend checking out MH World if you can it's halfway between Rise and the older style MH.

Also, the Gunlance in Rise is amazing fun, and it is actually very mobile esp once you open the move where you fire yourself across the screen like a rocket.

@Klatrymadon

Don't fret! It can be baffling and overwhelming to begin with, but just do what you're doing - finding your niche (aka weapon choice(s), doing hunts, and most importantly, having fun!

Worry about all the complexity later, when you are thoroughly into it and want to take it to the next level.

Thanks, both! I have World on my Steam account somewhere, and am going to dig into Tri and a couple of the 3DS games soon. Glad to hear I'm not just ignoring half the game, and that certain aspects are de-emphasised here...

Yeah, there's definitely plenty of fun to be had just playing it at the level I'm managing. I like that every weapon type presents a very unique playstyle, so that even if I start finding the hammer or the longsword a bit one-note, I'll essentially have several other games to experiment with. I'm thinking of going online via the hub quests just to make farming (i.e. fighting the monsters I've already defeated) a bit more interesting. I imagine there's a lot of fun in joining up with other people and using weapons and items that synergise well, etc.

1 hour ago, Klatrymadon said:

I'm thinking of going online via the hub quests just to make farming (i.e. fighting the monsters I've already defeated) a bit more interesting. I imagine there's a lot of fun in joining up with other people and using weapons and items that synergise well, etc.

I have always followed this exact rule in MH. Beat it solo offline, then go and beat it with other people multiple times online! Now I'm replaying on PC, I've abandoned it for speed purposes, though. I'll instead play purely depending on how I feel at the time, purity be damned.

Also, don't be scared of Gunlance. There's a reason we call it the Funlance. Yes, it seems slow and unwieldly to start with, but you'll be glad of that shield when Magnamalo divebombs you.

13 hours ago, Klatrymadon said:

Thanks, both! I have World on my Steam account somewhere, and am going to dig into Tri and a couple of the 3DS games soon. Glad to hear I'm not just ignoring half the game, and that certain aspects are de-emphasised here...

Yeah, there's definitely plenty of fun to be had just playing it at the level I'm managing. I like that every weapon type presents a very unique playstyle, so that even if I start finding the hammer or the longsword a bit one-note, I'll essentially have several other games to experiment with. I'm thinking of going online via the hub quests just to make farming (i.e. fighting the monsters I've already defeated) a bit more interesting. I imagine there's a lot of fun in joining up with other people and using weapons and items that synergise well, etc.

You might be slightly dissapointed if you are expecting weapon synergy in multiplayer it's more of a hugh bundle, esp in Rise.

MH online is fun tho, every hunt is different, you'll get hunts that go super smooth, hunts that go badly wrong but you just scape through. And you'll see someone with a super cool weapon which will make you want to try that out instead of what you are using. I say jump right in.

Yeah, that's a good idea. Whenever I get into a new series I tend to devour everything at once, taking an interest in what was introduced and lost over the years etc, but it can definitely lead to a quick burnout.

The online game sounds great and I imagine it's where a lot of the challenge lies (I haven't actually died yet!), as well as more interesting 'emergent' encounters...

23 minutes ago, Klatrymadon said:

Yeah, that's a good idea. Whenever I get into a new series I tend to devour everything at once, taking an interest in what was introduced and lost over the years etc, but it can definitely lead to a quick burnout.

The online game sounds great and I imagine it's where a lot of the challenge lies (I haven't actually died yet!), as well as more interesting 'emergent' encounters...

Yeah the village in Rise is super easy, online you'll die, or cart as we call it, for sure.

I've just picked up Rise for the Switch. The last (and only other) MH game I played was Tri on the Wii, but I was far from an expert and have probably forgotten close to everything about the series. Any tips for a newcomer?

As a fellow beginner, I have to stress the importance of tidying up your item pouch (and crafting whatever you might need) before starting a quest. There's nothing worse than getting lost cycling through a bunch of junk to find the trap or potion you need in the heat of battle.

Edit: I'd encourage experimenting with all the weapons, too, since each one represents a different character class, essentially. I started with a gunlance and found the game awkward and almost unplayable, but after switching to the hammer and getting the hang of things, I feel like I could adapt to any of the weapons, and will certainly give the gunlance a proper go at some point.

The best analogy is to think of the weapons like Streetfighter characters - each has a completely different playstyle and approach. All very viable and satisfying in their own regard...once you find the right fit for you.

But, you don't have to stay faithful to just one, even after you become comfortable and skilled in that particular style. Variety is the spice of life after all.

I've been a Long Sword user since the PSP days. I then jumped over to Charge Blade when that was introduced and played it almost exclusively. Now in Rise, I'm using Bow which is a completely different ballgame than what I'm used to.

I'd second learning a couple of different weapons. I've been a Horn main forever, but there are some monsters where it just turns into a grind. I got so sick of Rathalos flapping all over the place that I learned Bow purely to save 10 minutes per fight. And you'll definitely want something to cut tails with. 

Offline, at any rate. Online? Pick a stick, and go nuts!

The extra switch skills really come into their own in this respect. While they don't quite match Gen's "styles" for variety, they do at least allow for experimentation in the weapon itself. I think Long Sword plays like 2 different weapons, whereas the Hammer is basically always the Hammer. 

I've still never played Bowguns. I struggle to imagine them being fun, but ... I've seen far more weapons being used online in this title than in all the previous ones. Used to be that you never saw Gunners, now you can sometimes have 3 alongside you.

7 hours ago, CheekyLee said:

I've still never played Bowguns. I struggle to imagine them being fun, but ... I've seen far more weapons being used online in this title than in all the previous ones. Used to be that you never saw Gunners, now you can sometimes have 3 alongside you.

Much like most of the the MH lineage LBG/ HBG variants have always been low risk high damage output without too much effort for quick farms. Whether it be Portable 3rd with its Rapid fire Lightning builds, MH Tri with Rapid fir Pierce and more recently with World you had HBG Pierce/ HBG sticky. Where in MH Rise the consensus is Rapid LBG Pierce 2 (which can get attained fairly early) or either sticky 3 LBG with the Magnamalo, or rapid slicing with Zinogre. Of you want proper boom-boom/ sticky stick KO builds, then Rajang HBG will cover you.

Also the thing with gunner builds (much like most end game blade builds) it’s really reliant on Talismans.

I must have something like 800 or so LBG quests with another 150 HBG. Though most of those LBG hunts have been hunting a specific end game monster for Monster parts to stick in the gacha machine to meld for talismans.

11 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Oh, another thing. Rise might not be as 'pretty' as World but, goddamn, the animation is astounding. So many little touches, small details, fluidity of motion. It's incredible stuff.

I watched someone streaming last night, as I really enjoy seeing new players getting to grips with it, and I just saw how utterly beautiful the Rathalos and Anjanath models are as they were fighting each other. Some of us may think Rathalos old hat, but there are so many new players getting their first glimpse that I felt a little guilty about how little respect I gave the game on release. Sure, I loved every second of it, but I miss moments like learning in Tri that there could even be 2 monsters in a map, when Qurupeco called in Rathian and I was like "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?"

There are so many monsters I desperately hope come back in Sunbreak. 

How do I join other players in a particular quest on this? I tried joining a few lobbies as the fourth player, but couldn't see any indication of which quest the other players were currently doing or how to participate. I started a random quest and played it by myself, hoping I'd eventually have someone join me or see an invitation to get my ass somewhere else, but no such luck. What did I miss?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Klatrymadon said:

How do I join other players in a particular quest on this? I tried joining a few lobbies as the fourth player, but couldn't see any indication of which quest the other players were currently doing or how to participate. I started a random quest and played it by myself, hoping I'd eventually have someone join me or see an invitation to get my ass somewhere else, but no such luck. What did I miss?

Thanks!

In the hub, there is a board to the right of Minoto. On that you should be able to see up to 4 quests that players in that particular hub could be doing. 99% of the time they're all in the same one, but very rarely someone does what you did. 

A better way is to select "Respond to join request", which will then let you choose a specific quest to search for. You'll literally join an open version of it, usually within a minute or so of it starting. There may well be a tutorial buried away somewhere in the hundred or so you've long since stopped reading at this point, but I don't recall this part ever being made particularly clear.

Rather than joining others, why not go to your own Gathering Hub, choose a hunt you want/need and press 'Yes' to 'Send Join Request'. Within 1-2 mins you'll have 3 players with you in your world and you can enjoy the insanity of 4 players going HAM on a monster.

But! Don't get too carried away (quite literally) that you cart and lose a life for the team.

Ah, thanks a lot, both! I did try 'Send Join Request' at one point, but I guess it was during a lull, because nothing happened.

I think you're right about the online tutorial, CheekyLee. I do read them all, but some of them are unclear or just plain misleading. An early one told me to hold LB to target a monster, which is neither the right button (it pulls up the item pouch) nor how targeting works. (It could also probably do with a brief comment to the effect that locking on has only limited application in this game, unlike many others. I almost never use it.) 😛

11 hours ago, Klatrymadon said:

An early one told me to hold LB to target a monster, which is neither the right button (it pulls up the item pouch) nor how targeting works. (It could also probably do with a brief comment to the effect that locking on has only limited application in this game, unlike many others. I almost never use it.) 😛

You need to click the RS and choose which of the 3 active monsters currently roaming the map you want to 'lock on' to (look at the top right of the screen for the 3 boxes with monster icons and cycle between them). Once you've 'locked on' you tap (not hold) LB to re-centre the camera so you're facing the monster. Very useful in combat! 

You can tinker with how the LB functions in the options but be aware its not a true lock on like Dark Souls or Zelda.

Top Tip: i would highly recommend assigning your item slider to be on the d-pad. Its much easier tapping the pad than using the fiddly hold LB + X/A method. Once you become more proficient and figure out which items you're using most often, then you can start using the quick-select wheels.

Oh yeah, I appreciate the tips but I do know how to use the targeting feature (and change it to 'focus' mode etc) - I just rarely do! As you say, though, it can be good for quickly re-centering the camera on a monster after being flung around. :)

Changing the item slider to the d-pad sounds like an instant winner, for sure. It's second nature now but it was a good few hours before LB + X stopped feeling horrible. I should definitely use the radial menu more, too - even if just for quick access to pitfall traps and tranqs.

Played a really fun online quest last night, after changing to the Switch Axe. It feels great to make a meaningful contribution to a team even as you flail around with an unfamiliar weapon, and I like that it never feels like you're just cheesing the enemy with your numbers. (Switch Axe seems like a strong playstyle, too, since it accommodates big dumb reckless swinging and precise surgery alike.)

Heh! Sorry. I read your previous post before my morning coffee and didn't know you understood what the soft-lock does. :blush:

Glad you're enjoying it and branching out into various different weapons. Switch Axe is a beast!!