Monster Hunter: Rise. Sunbreak confirmed for June 30th, 2022

HarMGM

On 17/03/2021 at 18:09, Curtis said:

Shopto preorder now only £34.85.

Now that is a very good price so thanks for the heads up. 

I was going to go digital as cart changing feels like a bit of a hassle these days but at that price it is hard to say no. Also, my original 1238Gb SD card is full and the 512Gb I had to replace it just doesn't seem to work on the Switch so I remain limited on storage which this will at least help mitigate a little.

Gone for the Shop2 deal having had no intention of bothering with this after crashing hard out of World after about 70 hours. 

Now comes the stress of choosing which weapon to try and master. I did hammers last time but want something a bit less Hammery. 

21 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

Now comes the stress of choosing which weapon to try and master. I did hammers last time but want something a bit less Hammery. 

They answer to that is play them all!

I will prob do what I always do, start with Charge Blade or Greatsword, then flirt a bit with the longsword, spend a bit of time with my trusty hammer, dabble with the hunting horn, then end up playing Lance and Gunlance for ages esp if I hit a wall and need a shield and finally end up playing the range weapons when I get bored.

On 26/02/2021 at 11:49, Nobuo's Organ said:

This is great news. They are going to have their work cut out making the graphics look good though.  I can't see it lokoing anywhere as good as world which makes me a bit sad. I was hoping for a MH:W 2 with Raytracing and all the bells and whistles.

1 minute ago, Padaxes said:

This is great news. They are going to have their work cut out making the graphics look good though.  I can't see it lokoing anywhere as good as world which makes me a bit sad. I was hoping for a MH:W 2 with Raytracing and all the bells and whistles.

I’m sure they’re working on World 2. Maybe a summer reveal? 

Just now, Sarlaccfood said:

I’m sure they’re working on World 2. Maybe a summer reveal? 

Seems too early, they'll want to make the most of Rise (and probably get an expansion in) before diverting attention to the next instalment. I'd say we're at least two years off from a World sequel, probably more.

14 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Seems too early, they'll want to make the most of Rise (and probably get an expansion in) before diverting attention to the next instalment. I'd say we're at least two years off from a World sequel, probably more.

Ill almost certainly end up getting Ris eon PC in the meantime which is no doubt the plan :) 

17 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

yeah they normally work on 2 year cycles, we'll get Rise Ultimate and then they will start to drip feed World 2 or whatever they call it.

In MH3 I went for dual blades as an entry point.

In MH4U I just played Hunting Horn and loved it, leaning the tunes and applying buffs was great.

In World I went switch axe and it was initially cool, but a bit repetitive.

Thinking of going long sword this time. Dunno why, except that a massive katana in the Rise world looks cool.

5 minutes ago, Purin said:

I tried it once and was awful with it, like all the guns too. I'll give it another go!

I found it was hard to get into the flow of using the kinsects but after that hump it was really good fun. 

I started with SnS on Tri, but tried out the Metal Bagpipes and was instantly hooked. Not even because of the tunes, but because I sent a Kelbi flying with a godawful cacophony and thought it was hilarious!

Since then, I've remained a classically-trained dooter, but have also spread out to a few other weapons. Sword and Shield is way more capable than you may think, ignore the idea that it's the newbie weapon. Gunlance is really fun, nothing quite ever feels as amazing as shoving a lit firework up into a monster's nose.

Bow has a very pleasing rhythm once you nail the timings. Dual Blades let you switch your brain off a little and mash like a maniac. But I think the biggest surprise came most recently, when I decided to learn to Great Sword. I had previously discarded it as dull. I was mistaken, adding the shoulder tackle opened up the weapon in a very pleasing way.

Now I think I need to learn one of the Blowguns, and it's way past time I got to grips with the Long Sword. I suspect there will be no end of Horn players this time round, which is both freeing and also a little upsetting. From the demo, Horn actually felt a little broken, like it was sneakily easy mode or something. Not necessarily the worst thing, either, this series still needs to ease up somewhat at times.

I've read all the reviews. I'm way beyond ready! I hope to see many of you out there on Friday.

4 hours ago, Padaxes said:

IIRC World was the highest selling in the franchise and broke loads of records for them so you can bet dollars to donuts there’ll be a sequel in a series renowned for rereleasing versions of itself :D

Reviews are getting me hyped for this now.

From Polygon:

The Wirebug changes the entire pace of Rise. Monsters attack faster because I can dodge faster. Areas are more vertical because I have the means to climb hills, mountains, buildings, cliffs, and bluffs. 

It’s freeing, and it makes Monster Hunter: World — barely three years old and the current gold standard for accessible monster hunting games — seem archaic and slow by comparison.

Are there any reviews of this from a newcomer’s perspective? I gave up on the demo after about five minutes of standard RPG mechanics and standard third person game mechanics being piled on top of me and none of the current reviews are selling me on this. Like, Eurogamer’s review says it’s the best Switch game since BotW and it may be the most accessible yet, but the review itself did nothing to demystify what the monster smashing game’s appeal is and makes me feel like I’m missing 15 years of context.

23 hours ago, Alex W. said:

I gave up on the demo after about five minutes of standard RPG mechanics and standard third person game mechanics being piled on top of me and none of the current reviews are selling me on this. Like, Eurogamer’s review says it’s the best Switch game since BotW and it may be the most accessible yet, but the review itself did nothing to demystify what the monster smashing game’s appeal is and makes me feel like I’m missing 15 years of context.

I think most if not all MH fans have been there.

I remember being turned off the whole concept after having tried the MH4U demo more than a few times, until one rainy Sunday afternoon I finally got how it's supposed to be played, and I've been a huge fan of the series ever since. And I hardly ever go hunt online, believe it or not.

My advice, if you're keen on getting into the series, stick with it. It may take a few hours, but it will click sooner or later.

“How it’s supposed to be played” is exactly it. I have the same problem with fighting games, I can know all of the mechanics and use them until the CPU dies but the actual shape of the game eludes me.

(What am I supposed to be recognising? What am I reacting to? How do the tactics nest in to strategies?)

I think there's a lot better players here who'll be able to answer that question in more detail, but what I remember from those early days of frustration back in 2015, is that the moment when I realized I could take down the monster who had been knocking me out for the last few hours by combining and timing my attacks just right, is the moment when I got hooked.

So if you're already beating the monsters with ease (and grace), and it still doesn't seem to be a game for you, then maybe it is just that.

12 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

“How it’s supposed to be played” is exactly it. I have the same problem with fighting games, I can know all of the mechanics and use them until the CPU dies but the actual shape of the game eludes me.

(What am I supposed to be recognising? What am I reacting to? How do the tactics nest in to strategies?)

It's very much like a fighting game, each weapon is like a street fighter character.

It not about rushing in button mashing, it's the thinking players action game, you need to learn the monsters tells, learn when to attack and when to get the hell out, the more you play the better you get, monsters that you timed out on when you first tried to fight them will go down in 10 mins once you get good.

But You need to invest time to learn the game and then it will reveal itself, the MH demos are notorious for throwing you in the deep end and putting new players off.

Oh dear, I wasn't planning to get this but the reviews are just too good! I eventually got bored of World and never killed the final two bosses - too much grinding and too much repetition. But I did enjoy it a lot up to that point. I'm pretty sure I was a great sword player, or was it hammer? It was something big and slow anyway. Maybe the 'mukkers I played with can remember? Anyway, this time I will have to try something new, any recommendations welcome. 

Kinda bummed that this is Switch exclusive for now. The graphics and environments were a big selling point for me and I'm not arsed about handheld mode. But its multiplayer communication that I'm most concerned about, no party chat - and typing on Switch is awful (see Animal Crossing).

Nevertheless, looking forward to getting addicted to this for a few weeks.