Disgaea 6: Defiance of Destiny. Switch exclusive Dood!

6 hours ago, Theholyhogg said:

Switch exclusive!!!

Urghhhhh

Loved 5 on the ps4,the best one yet

Apparently the Switch version of 5 sold so well it saved NISA from bankruptcy, so it's understandable why they're pushing for that. 

They are letting people play it for free from the eShop between 23rd September and something like 29th September I believe, if you want to give it a go (I will be, haven't played one since Disgaea 1, which was a lot of fun!).

26 minutes ago, Broker said:

Every time on of these comes out I think I’m going to try it, but never do. Would the one that’s already on Switch be a good starting point? 

Yes, it's the best one probably.

I love Disgaea but much like Monster Hunter I feel they almost suffer for having ten times more content than I have free time to see, it really tempers my need for a sequel.

21 minutes ago, Broker said:

Every time on of these comes out I think I’m going to try it, but never do. Would the one that’s already on Switch be a good starting point? 

There's 1, 4 and 5 out on the Switch so far. 1 still has the best story out of the lot but mechanically it's pretty dated. 4 probably has the second best story. The story of 5 is awful, but it's so much more in depth with its systems that you can get the most out of it depending on how much you want to put in. 

They are all separate stories apart from Disgaea D2 which was the game I hoped they’d port to the Switch. The DLC released for the games that unlocks characters from past games do includes some small story vignettes but nothing that affects the main game story as far as I can recall. 

It's also worth bearing in mind that every Disgaea game released since the PS3 era has had an absolute shit ton of really expensive DLC released for it, and has then been compiled to a "Complete" release a couple of years later. So actually picking up with the full versions of 4 or 5 on the Switch right now might make a lot of sense, rather than jumping straight into 6 on release.

They are, frankly, all pretty samey (in that they are all awesome) so it honestly doesn't really matter which one you pick.

15 minutes ago, Broker said:

Cool, I’ve grabbed the version of 5 that’s on sale with the last of my birthday money so I’ll check it out :) 

If you give it a bit of time to learn it's systems, there's easily 100s of hours of game there. You can spend hours just levelling up weapons. 

22 minutes ago, smac said:

100s?

1000s!

:lol:

Don't forget to farm the innocents.

God 5 was so good imo,hope 6 can build on all the good stuff they added,hope it comes to other consoles one day,have they all not been on sony consoles?? I remember playing a few on the vita

New details:

Reincarnation in another world x zombies x level
99,999,999! Don’t give up—even if you die 10 million times!

Disgaea 6: Defiance of Destiny is an ultra hot-blooded story in which the protagonist, a zombie named Zed, repeatedly reincarnates in different worlds to overcome the calamity known as the “God of Destruction” that threatens all demons.

You will have many encounters in the Super Reincarnated worlds that await. Go around the many worlds, and acquire the power and party members necessary to defeat the God of Destruction.

"Super Reincarnation” is a new system introduced in Disgaea 6: Defiance of Destiny.

Through the forbidden magic “Super Reincarnation,” protagonist Zed can transcend death and reincarnate in another world when defeated by the God of Destruction. Although Super Reincarnation returns you to Level 1, your strength can gradually carry over. Repeatedly Super Reincarnate and your strength will be on a whole other level, even at Level 1.

As you Super Reincarnate, you will build up “Karma,” which can be used to strengthen your stats, as well as enhance abilities that cannot normally be trained such as counterattack count and movement.

I like the sound of the Super Reincarnation. Could mix things up well for the post game. 

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/09/disgaea-6-defiance-of-destiny-first-details-screenshots

Super Reincarnation sounds like they're going a bit Roguelike, which could be a good new direction.

I've finished the original Disgaea twice, and one of the others (I'm not sure which - 4 I think) once, but I got bored with 5 partway through because I couldn't be bothered to keep on top of all the overlapping systems. It was complicated enough from the first game with Item World and the Assembly, but with sending characters off into space, levelling up squad skills, and probably a few others I've forgotten about, it became less of a game and more like a really complicated admin job.

So what I'd really like from this one is a more back-to-(relative)-basics approach, but I suspect that's not what Disgaea's all about...