just tried the demo and really liked it, will get the full game. jumps are a bit difficult because of the view but jumps are difficult anyway i guess. and yeah i think analogue triggers are a good idea - was using an xbox pad - though it controlled really well on the default settings.

Yeah had another bash this morning with a DS4 and it was much more enjoyable. Still not 100% convinced but I’ll play the demo a couple more times and see if it sticks. But not much is going to drag me away from Hades right now

Here's my review

http://www.barharukiya.co.uk/art-of-rally/09/

I've been playing it daily since getting my code, enjoying the daily and weekly events, (which you only get one shot at) and am half way through Group B, not a fan of the Quattro but all the Ford's have been great fun to drive, as have the Lancias, the Ferrari you unlock in the 70s is a handful but also quite fun.

11 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Is there an aesthetic term for the marriage of lo-fi/16-bit looking graphics and lighting systems far beyond the capability of the machines where those styles first found favour?

Love the look of this.

I don't know the term but I know exactly what you mean, I love that style and it's what I wished the Playstation 1-era's prevailing look of games had been. Lonely Mountain and Octopath Traveller scratch a similar itch

11 minutes ago, PK said:

I don't know the term but I know exactly what you mean, I love that style and it's what I wished the Playstation 1-era's prevailing look of games had been. Lonely Mountain and Octopath Traveller scratch a similar itch

I'll have to try octopath because I love the aesthetic. I feel like in both film and games, we have continually strived for more realistic looking productions without really asking if that's what we want. Modern films and games are both generally too dark and too visually busy. I think the thing that has been missed in this trend is that in real life, we have other senses apart from visual input to be able to decode a scene. In gaming and film we usually only have 2d visual, at a distance and non-spatial sound, also at a distance. Combine this with a move toward high-res images, causing small and poorly designed UIs and we end up with a visual mess that is extremely hard to decode. More realistic lighting effects make the image easier for us to decode, so combined with simple and clear geometry and colour variation makes a game much easier for us to play and enjoy. I'd put part of the success of Fortnite and Fall Guys down to their aesthetic style which is much, much clearer than other similar games.

3 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

£19.49

But 10% off until 30th September so £17.54

They missed out unfortunately as my must buy something, it's my birthday urge has gone elsewhere. I'll still pick it up down the line though.

51 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I want to like this but I just can't get the handling. It's so heavy and the inertia is doing my head in :(

I know what you mean, despite trying several runs at the demo it never properly clicked. Like every corner I'd approach not feeling whether I'd over-brake/steer and smash in the the corner obstacles, or wildly slide off the track. I never truly felt like a good or bad corner was down to excellent driving, just a bit random.

It's annoying though as when I saw this I was like THIS IS THE DRIVING GAME FOR ME!! I love the style, the top-down view. If it was a bit tighter I think I'd love it

4 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

£19.49

But 10% off until 30th September so £17.54

If you buy from the Epic Games Store, you can get it for £7.54 by using the £10 discount voucher you get for 'buying' Rocket League.

I had a good time with this last night. It takes a lot of getting used to but as mentioned, with a bit of tweaking to the aids and once some better cars unlock it’s a little gem of a game. For 7-odd quid on Epic with the Rocket League voucher it’s a steal.

Really enjoying this!  I have all the assists switched off with manual gears now and it feels great to play.  It's definitely taken me a bit of time to get used to the handling and you need a fairly light touch (especially on the throttle) to get the car to do what you want.  It's really easy to end up sliding from side-to-side as you come out of corners if you're too aggressive on the power, but once you learn to balance the throttle and not be too eager on the steering it all comes together.

The Porsche in the first set of cars and the Fiat in the second are my favourites so for, keen to try some more later though.

I do think 5 rallies with 5 stages each is a bit tight, hopefully more will be added in the future.  Some great stages in there though, the Swedish one on the frozen lake is brilliant.  Reminds me of Colin McRae 2.0 :wub:

38 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

I thought there was a demo of this on Steam, it shows in the search but when I click through I can’t see it? Has it been removed?

There's one on itch.io, I had trouble trying to download the demo on steam, though that could be coz I had the full game in my library, I wanted to see if/how things were different (I didn't notice any differences)

Been playing this loads, just finished the career mode, took 15+ hours I guess. It’s great, really enjoyed it. Want to do some timetrials too but at some point after starting the game it stops uploading times, restarting the game fixes it but it’s pretty annoying so maybe come back to that later.

I'm still playing the demo while I work out if it's for me. I'm shockingly awful at it, but I can tell it's a very decent product. Spent an hour getting into the mesmerising loop of slowly shaving seconds off my time.

Then I got into my usual thing of getting pissed off with myself every time I fouled up a corner and restarting, which is pretty fun destroying. That's entirely on me though, not the game.