art of rally

bradigor

7 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Is it weird that I want to buy the switch version despite having gamepass?

I feel like I'd rather get things on Xbox because I play most there, achievements,  etc. 

I bought Dead Cells on Xbox and Switch and barely played the switch one, so I can understand platform preference with the same game. 

Aside from portability, I'm not sure what you'd gain though? Discomfort from the controller? Worse visuals? 

11 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

Aside from portability, I'm not sure what you'd gain though? 

Just the portability. It doesn’t look like an incredibly flashy game, graphics wise, so imagine it looks decent on a small screen.

Anyway, downloading on gamepass to see if I even like it!

Despite the huge advantage of portability? That’s like asking why get a new Xbox apart from the more powerful insides. 

that said, it feels very much in need of an analogue controller, so I would dodge it on switch for that reason. 

Played about 30 mins (Xbox SX)

The Good:

- It’s quite pretty, especially the car models.

- Good music.

- Controls seem reasonably realistic to me.

- fun!

- There’s not much of it but the text is quite funny.

The Bad:

-There’s no map or co-driver, so judging corners ahead of time relies on the camera view which is usually good but not always.

-You don’t get to see the crashes, it always cuts out, even before you’ve hit the ground after a (do a) barrel roll. Unforgivable.

- the controls (again) i think a more arcade approach would fit the style

The Ugly:

-Fair bit of shadow pop in.

-The name of the achievement for dirtying your car to the max was a bit wtf.

-Turn night mode on - white text on a white background when you check the controller scheme.

1 hour ago, bumgut said:

Is it me or are many PlayStation indie games coming out later than on Xbox and switch?

is this the result of Sony’s unfriendly policies to indies recently?

I've never published anything on Sony's platform myself, but I've read numerous times that the time Sony takes to process application grants can be frustratingly slow, especially if the publisher isn't part of a Sony deal. 

I noticed quite a lot of pop-in on the Series X version. Nothing major, but the vegetation and shadows suddenly appearing were quite noticeable.

The handling in this is very different to what I expected. I assumed the car would be sliding all over the road, but if anything, the ones I’ve tried so far understeer massively. The game seems a bit underwhelming so far, although the music’s really nice - there's a real Amiga demo scene vibe. 

Just tried this and even considering I'm utterly terrible at racing games (it's not a genre I ever play/particularly like to be fair), I'm just slaloming all over the place no matter what I do. I'm not going to waste any more time on it, but I did like the stylised look and if there was a mode that took you around cities, mountains, lakes etc in a free roam - and with controls that even I could get to grips with - I think it'd be lovely.

it's not the concepts behind the controls that are hard to grasp - it's the implementation of them and making the car do what you want that is very harsh

it's dressed up in nice visuals but something odd is happening with the steering and level of grip so the car feels either like it sliding on ice or turning on rails when you don't want it to.

it's such a fine line with racing control systems as one persons broken is anothers sublime - I wanted a fun arcade slide fest to go with the visuals and doesn't feel like its going to be that at all.

I’ve tended to not try power sliding round corners. It’s definitely not a Sega Rally approach to taking corners.  Well at least for me so far.   How do others take corners?  I find it difficult to sustain any long power slides. 

5 hours ago, Gotters said:

it's such a fine line with racing control systems as one persons broken is anothers sublime - I wanted a fun arcade slide fest to go with the visuals and doesn't feel like its going to be that at all.

Hey, I did warn people about this. The visuals suggest one thing, and then you play it and find out it is something else instead. It's a game for people who actually like simulators but without the realistic visuals that usually go with that genre. It ain't 1995 :)

Any PC players having trouble with the controls?  I have to use a combination of my keyboard and controller to navigate through the menus (up and down and A on the controller and left/right arrows keys on the keyboard); and even if I select 'joystick' support it doesn't recognise any other gamepad inputs.  What am I missing?

EDIT: Sorted.   I found a reddit thread with other people having the same issue.  A re-install to my main OS drive sorted it.

Having watched some videos for the Nintendo Switch port of this and it's curious. It looks nothing like the original PC version at the lowest allowed graphical settings and if you believe this video isn't bullshit, then considering the GFX chip in the Switch, it should have been able to match even a last gen Intel iGPU for graphical features. It's probably a CPU bottleneck problem, like a lot of demanding Unity games (Broforce on console shits itself when stressed, while on PC, smooth 60fps with the GFX chip falling asleep):

I find very clever that the controls are so hard to master, its almost like a simulator version of an arcade.

If the controls were super easy it would mostly be a memory game, and that gets boring really quickly.

I would love to play a multiplayer version of the game in short circuits, a bit like Rock and Roll racing or super sprint.

I dunno, the best actual Arcade Rally game of all time only had 3 tracks (4 if you include the hidden track) and they didn't even reverse them like this game does and was easy to pick up but still had room for personal improvement via repetition of the tracks. Time trialing on Desert in the Lancia Stratos never got old.