IGNORED

art of rally

bradigor

I’m really liking this, the controls are rubbish default and you need to take loads off the aids slider to make it feel more natural IMO - I’m generally at the point with the controls that any crash is my fault rather than thinking what the hell happened there as it seemed on defaults.

I love the HDR look, it has some off pop in and slowdown on a series x - seems badly optimised as its not always in taxing places - i wonder if its the clever camera thing (seeing thru trees)  messing with it?

The different car classes feel very different too and switching from a fwd, rwd to a 4wd car feels incredibly different as it should. 

Overall it needs some polish but i think there is a great little game in here and it wont take much to fully coax it out :) 

I gave this a quick go while waiting for a couple of friends to come online and I was a bit puzzled as to what I was supposed to do? I was dropped into a forest track in Finland with no other cars to race, no goals to reach and seemingly just an empty track with a few collectibles scattered around. Is that the whole game or are there actual races to unlock? Excuse my ignorance if I've missed something obvious but as I said I just started it and faffed around for five minutes while waiting to play something else. 

30 minutes ago, Rayn said:

I gave this a quick go while waiting for a couple of friends to come online and I was a bit puzzled as to what I was supposed to do? I was dropped into a forest track in Finland with no other cars to race, no goals to reach and seemingly just an empty track with a few collectibles scattered around. Is that the whole game or are there actual races to unlock? Excuse my ignorance if I've missed something obvious but as I said I just started it and faffed around for five minutes while waiting to play something else. 

yeah that's sort of a practice/free roam area, i think it tells you to quit out of that (probably easy to miss) to get to the menu where you can start the career or do timetrials etc.

I like it, but I would like it a lot more if there were pace notes.

I know it's an indie game and working on a tight budget (and I guess they want this dreamlike zen thing), but it's rallying, there should be notes, even if it;s just very simple ones like Sega Rally on an easy - medium- tight - hairpin scale.

Foggy Stages. Night Stages. Corners that are just the other side of blind crests / jumps. Corners in towns. Corners obscured by trees. Corners that open or tighten requiring different lines.

Plus, It's an atmosphere thing. Sega Rally really doesn;t need the notes, but it has them because they're an important part of evoking a rally feel.

For a game as rooted in a love of the sport as this clearly is*, it feels like an odd omission.

*Some of the cars are properly obscure even by the standards of the already-quite-anoraky Dirt Rally Games. I mean, a Renault 17 gordini? that's a deep cut.

34 minutes ago, RFT said:

Foggy Stages. Night Stages. Corners that are just the other side of blind crests / jumps. Corners in towns. Corners obscured by trees. Corners that open or tighten requiring different lines.

pace notes in games always have inaccuracies so thats sort of equivalent to the times where you cant quite see where the track goes in this. I dont really mind that its missing pace notes anyway. Agree about the atmosphere thing though, it should play random instructions with ‘maybe’ in them.

3 hours ago, RFT said:

I like it, but I would like it a lot more if there were pace notes.

I know it's an indie game and working on a tight budget (and I guess they want this dreamlike zen thing), but it's rallying, there should be notes, even if it;s just very simple ones like Sega Rally on an easy - medium- tight - hairpin scale.

I very much agree and actually spoke about this with Dune, the game's creator, when the game was still in closed beta. He said it was a 'deliberate choice' not to do pace notes.

So I even offered to write and supply complimentary notes (having co-driven a fair share of rally cars over the years), but he wasn't having it sadly.

1 hour ago, Skull Commander said:

I can't get this to even start despite a hard reset. Instant delete. Will perhaps try it again if they can be arsed producing a patch. 

Yeah, I can't sign in on the title screen. Life's too short to fuck about so I deleted it and started something else.

I picked this up on Switch and nearly hard-bounced off it, it wasn't the fun, relaxing experience I thought it was.

Have stuck with it a bit, and played some more, but I'm sort of disappointed that this isn't more of a relaxing or arcadey rally game.  

5 minutes ago, meatbin said:

I picked this up on Switch and nearly hard-bounced off it, it wasn't the fun, relaxing experience I thought it was.

Have stuck with it a bit, and played some more, but I'm sort of disappointed that this isn't more of a relaxing or arcadey rally game.  

Agreed. Couldn't resist the Switch version despite its dire looks and am not thrilled so far...

You can improve it a bit by tweaking controls (steering 90%, accel/break 100%).

Yeah, personally i think its awesome, but it does seem to be catching people out with what to expect from it. Its not as hard or stressful as dirt rally but i think the handling is on the more realistic side and it can be quite difficult.

already finished it when it was out on pc, but got it on gamepass and really enjoying it all over again. Really like the bright/colourful/rainbow paint jobs you can unlock. Ive just left the controls on the default settings and think they’re great but might try messing with the settings a bit.

about the lack of pace notes, its interesting what McSpeed says about it being deliberate, in some ways i like the lack of pace notes, i think its more relaxing than being constantly shouted out, and means i can listen to the tv at the same time.

I really like this.  Coming at it as someone that spends most of their gaming time in racing sims, it's most definitely on the relaxing side and it's tough but fun to control (just on default settings).  Music is fantastic.

On 16/08/2021 at 10:25, Gotters said:

There is a slider to give you some control back and reduce the level of assistance - that sounds worth a shot before this is offered as a sacrifice to the gods of freeing up HDD space

Knock it down to 70% and you'll see how different it feels. I absolutely adored this when it came out on PC earlier in the year, once you get the hang of the handling it gets very zen-like

Rush Rally Origins just launched today on iOS and I think it's the game several of us hoped Art of Rally would be - even with crap touchscreen controls its easy to sling your car round bends in a satisfying way, suspect the game really needs a controller to get the best out of it but its less than £5 and comes from a good line of Rush Rally games the dev has put out. 

25 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Rush Rally Origins just launched today on iOS and I think it's the game several of us hoped Art of Rally would be - even with crap touchscreen controls its easy to sling your car round bends in a satisfying way, suspect the game really needs a controller to get the best out of it but its less than £5 and comes from a good line of Rush Rally games the dev has put out. 

Bought it on iOS last night and it comes out on Switch today too - will get it on that too. Buying both - Still half the price of a poor conversion of Art of Rally.

Just now, Kramer said:

Bought it on iOS last night and it comes out on Switch today too - will get it on that too. Buying both - Still half the price of a poor conversion of Art of Rally.

oh dear, didn't know about the Switch version, could have saved myself £4.49 and got just on that.

Think its worth a thread of its own but Rush Rally Origins on switch is great, be happy paying a lot more than a fiver for it.

Slidey but responsive car like you want in an arcade game, looks good handheld with nice lighting and scenery and loads pf great touches like leaderboards, ghosts - it seems an accomplished package on first play thru opening rally stages

I think I'm going to have to call time on this. I just can't mentally do 3rd person driving, outside of proper dopey arcade mechanics. I struggle to explain why but it's like by the time I think I need to do something, the car is half a second ahead of where I am on the track and it's too late.

It's not the game's fault, I find it true of most driving games. In Forza, I'm terrible unless I'm in car, or bumper cam at a push.

Art of Rally is £7.20 from the South Africa eshop. Having been waiting for Rush Rally and playing an hour of that, after seeing the poor feedback for AoR - actually enjoying it - handling is challenging, but fun.

• 4 weeks later...

been putting some time into the timetrials, it's great fun, some times to beat if anyones interested. time.

finland|noormarkku|group 2|the esky v1|1:30.857

finland|noormarkku|group a|il gorillona|1:16.294

finland|lassila|group a|il gorillona|1:30.023

• 2 weeks later...