Good supermarket products

stephen129

17 hours ago, MarkN said:

I've not used any of these products due to a lack of freezer space, but would definitely do if I had more. So much quicker and cheaper than buying the fresh stuff (I buy jars of paste from the world food aisle instead, which is another good way to do it).

However, if you can get the frozen world food versions they're better value still My Sainsbury's store now stocks this, which is 400 grams for a quid: https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/taj-crushed-garlic-400g

__garkic300x300.jpg.8951505c018aaaee3a5b1ffcf607edf9.jpg

This looks good too and it's much cheaper. Do you know how many cloves are in a block out of interest?

19 hours ago, stephen129 said:

This looks good too and it's much cheaper. Do you know how many cloves are in a block out of interest?

Remarkably I remembered to have a look at work this morning. Each bag is 400 grams and conatins 19 sticks. So a shade over 20 grams each. A quick search suggests thats probably 4 or 5 decent cloves worth. I was tempted to guess at 6 or 7 after looking at them, but maybe I've just been buying small garlic...

• 1 month later...

Pitta breads are a deeply flawed offering in most supermarkets, mostly consisting of thin bits of cardboard its impossible to form a pocket with. There is a bakers called Cohens who offer the big thick pillowy pittas that you get in Turkish/German kebab shops which are lovely.

These Warburtons ones are great though and available widely/ They aren't a thin bit of cardboard you can't prise open, have just a bit of dough to give thickness to the sides and just pop straight open as are pre sliced somehow. Their website also has the slogan 'Pitta the fool who buys an inferior Pitta', which in my mind makes them unofficially Mr T endorsed.

5010044009261_Warburtons_Soft_Pittas_Whi

3 hours ago, Gotters said:

Pitta breads are a deeply flawed offering in most supermarkets, mostly consisting of thin bits of cardboard its impossible to form a pocket with. 

I find standard supermarket pittas tend to come in batches - regardless of which supermarket. If the first one in the pack billows out, then the rest will probably follow. But it's probably about 30-40% of the time that they go, so most of them you have to prise open (and I've usually overcooked them until they're brittle at that point because I was waiting to give them every chance to balloon).

I've not tried the Warby's ones yet (trying to lose weight, so bread is largely off the menu), but they do look rather good. Fairly popular too, judging from the orders I pick at work. Will give them a pop shortly - I've got some Linda McCartney Hoisin Not-Duck in the freezer that really needs a wrapper to be scoffed. (The Linda Mc fake duck is actually a pretty good product too FWIW, really tasty - not sure about nutritionally, but I tend to eat it alongside a massive plate of raw veg, so it's a small part of the meal).

Another new Sainsburys recommendation from me, these chorizo inspired pork sausage. Exactly what you'd expect from a hybrid of a normal pork sausage with a nice paprika hit and some roasted peppers. Great to slice up thru a salad when you want a bit more flavour from a sausage.

300x300.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/07/2022 at 12:28, Gotters said:

Pitta breads are a deeply flawed offering in most supermarkets, mostly consisting of thin bits of cardboard its impossible to form a pocket with. There is a bakers called Cohens who offer the big thick pillowy pittas that you get in Turkish/German kebab shops which are lovely.

These Warburtons ones are great though and available widely/ They aren't a thin bit of cardboard you can't prise open, have just a bit of dough to give thickness to the sides and just pop straight open as are pre sliced somehow. Their website also has the slogan 'Pitta the fool who buys an inferior Pitta', which in my mind makes them unofficially Mr T endorsed.

5010044009261_Warburtons_Soft_Pittas_Whi

Bought some of these earlier this week and they are indeed much better than normal supermarket pittas which are essentially impossible to open up into a pocket.

So annoying that they come in a 5 though, i'll typically always be having 2 so would be much better if it was a 6 pack😢

16 hours ago, StumpyJohn said:

😝

That would be too many all in one go.  Will likely end up popping the straggler in the freezer and getting it back out when I get a later pack

But on the day you're going to consume the last one from one pack is when you buy the second pack and take one from there too.

But yes. 5 is clearly a stupid number for these packs. It seems to me that 4 would just be more sensible. Although I'm sure more research than I care to think about goes into calculating the item count. But their goal will be profit not reducing waste.

Granini Pear Juice

Tesco £2.50, but I got it for £1.70 on offer with a clubcard

image.png.91970a291295f3f37e31f8d4f5694663.png

I don't know about everyone else, but I am an absolute sucker for anything pear flavoured. This is one of my favourite juices you can buy in a normal supermarket. I don't drink, but it would also be great in cocktails.

• 1 month later...
On 02/08/2022 at 19:39, stephen129 said:

I don't know about everyone else, but I am absolute sucker for anything pear flavoured. This is one of my favourite juices you can buy in a normal supermarket. I don't drink, but it would also be great in cocktails.

Yeah - I love the flavour of pears. The only problem is there's a window of opportunity of about 12 minutes on actual fresh pears where they go from inedibly hard to unpleasantly mushy, so I rarely buy them. But they have this in my Sainsbury's so I may take a punt - it feels like something that might turn up in my Nectar offers afterwards, meaning a decent discount occasionally.

My addition - Morrison's Salted Caramel Cornetto knock-offs are surprisingly nice. Really good balance of caramel to salt. They have replaced mint cornetto knock-offs as my go-to ice-cream (although that's also down to the mint flavour in most supermarket versions being at practically homeopathic levels. I'll have to try the real thing to see if it still tastes even remotely minty).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

These new Ambrosia porridge pots are great, especially if you've ever wanted ready to eat porridge that tastes like Ambrosia riced pudding (who hasn't)

The plain is good for adding things into, the raspberry is nice as is & the golden syrup not too sweet but my least favourite of the 3

If you think porridge is some heritage dish that needs making with just oats, Scottish spring water & pinch of salt if feeling decadent whilst stirring with a wooden spurtle then these probably aren't for you.

253645_untitleddesign10_364154.jpg

Sainsbury's has a new range of jarred antipasti bits and bobs. I bought a jar of the cream cheese stuffed jalapenos which are nice enough, but the balsamic Borettane Pickled Onions are lovely. I  had similar from Tesco's Deli counter once before they scrapped the counters and loved them, so being able to find them in a jar in the store I work in is great (although will make a serious dent in my food budget if I can't control myself). They don't seem to have gone up on the website yet, hence the piss-poor picture I just took below, but they'll be with the jars of olives if you can get to a store. I also bought a jar of Caponata which looks and sounds lovely, but I'm saving it for Christmas suppers of picky bits and dips.

IMG_20220927_205548.thumb.jpg.055f0a023634ae0eb592ceea697991a8.jpg

I'm on the lookout for nice sugar-free sweets. I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but like to reward myself at work for reaching hourly milestones, or completing big shops, but I don't want sugar eating away at my teeth for hours in the morning. (Any recommendations would be appreciated.)

My favourite so far are these Sherbet Lemmings from Aldi (I can't help myself, sorry - almost used "lemmings" when searching for the image below):

lemmings.jpg.68b55949df76090e3c6291685bb38766.jpg

I recall seeing a bit on pizza's on one of those ch4 food shows, the factory produced identical pizza and the fresh ones sold for more than the frozen, as fresh is considered 'premium'.

The same identical pizza.

You also see this a lot with fruit/veg. 

2 hours ago, Girth Certificate said:

This frozen pizza, it's quite pricey at like a fiver but it's so far above every other supermarket pizza it's not even funny. Wiping up the oily sauce with a bit of the chewie crust = good times.

All the Crosta And Mollica stuff I've tried has been brilliant, and also as far as I'm aware has used very few, and all-natural ingredients. It is pricey, but it's a cut above most brands, and probably as close to authentic as you can get outside a deli. I don't bother with bread sticks that aren't their black olive ones, and their Tarallini snacks are amazing (if kinda hefty on the calorie front) (they contain the following FWIW:  Flour, White Wine, Olive Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil (8%), Fennel Seeds (1%), Salt. The bread sticks are similar - no preservatives, no enhancers, nothing)

That pizza has a big old list of ingredients, but almost all of them are in the meat products they're using. The pizza is just made from good stuff. It's genuinely one brand I'd love to be able to afford to buy more of.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a load of skinny food sauces to liven up my chicken/rice dinners.

They range from vile to inedible. The "maple syrup" in particular leaves an aftertaste all day that won't quit.

Screenshot 2022-10-14 at 17.20.43 Large.jpeg

Do any supermarkets do a similar range? Not necessarily zero fat/sugar, but low fat/sugar ideally

17 hours ago, dino_jr said:

I bought a load of skinny food sauces to liven up my chicken/rice dinners.

They range from vile to inedible. The "maple syrup" in particular leaves an aftertaste all day that won't quit.

Do any supermarkets do a similar range? Not necessarily zero fat/sugar, but low fat/sugar ideally

I don't know about maple syrup or barbecue sauces but alot of hot sauces are really low calorie/low fat anyway. Things like Franks Original and Flying Goose Sriracha. So you might as well use the proper stuff, just don't go mental with it, or get the Franks sauce with butter in it or Sriracha mayo by mistake.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 29/10/2022 at 15:59, stephen129 said:

£1 at Tesco. These are really good quality. I've paid a lot more for similar quality sardines in Portugal. They have a very nice texture. Good with some chipotle Tabasco or Cholula.

spacer.png

I buy these sardines too, definitely good quality. I actually buy organic products mostly as I keep a healthy diet. Actually, nutrition is the main key to strong health and good well-being. I also look for quality vitamins, any purity products reviews? I know it's almost impossible to get everything needed from food only so taking supplements is a good idea.

Tesco do a Zizzi range and they have a pepperoni picante pizza which is actually really nice - and I've never liked any frozen pizza before.

There's a lovely saltiness from the meat and it comes with a little sachet of chilli oil (I love chilli oil); sprinkle with your own parmesan and it's a properly nice pizza. That's not something I thought I'd ever say about pizza purchased from a supermarket!

On 07/12/2022 at 15:31, Gabe said:

Tesco do a Zizzi range and they have a pepperoni picante pizza which is actually really nice - and I've never liked any frozen pizza before.

There's a lovely saltiness from the meat and it comes with a little sachet of chilli oil (I love chilli oil); sprinkle with your own parmesan and it's a properly nice pizza. That's not something I thought I'd ever say about pizza purchased from a supermarket!

The Crosta & Mollica pizzas are pretty decent, albeit expensive. 

2 minutes ago, stephen129 said:

The Crosta & Mollica pizzas are pretty decent, albeit expensive. 

I've seen those, unfortunately there's only one of their range I would want and I've never seen it in the shops. Mind you, for £6 I might as well pay a little bit more for a local takeaway pizza.