What will Cyberpunk 2077's metacritic score be?

What will Cyberpunk 2077's Metacritic score be?   

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Wahwah* changed the title to What will Cyberpunk 2077's metacritic score be?
1 minute ago, Broker said:

No but people will fall over themselves to give it a great score.

I think it will be good, but I also agree with the sentiment that there will be general positivity regardless. I’m not sure it will be an amazing leap forward in gameplay, even if it is in world building. 

I feel like the gaming press and gamers have already decided it's great, no matter how it turns out. I love the Witcher games, but not enough to give CDProjekt a free pass in advance. From what I've seen the game is just Deus Ex, only you can drive cars. The gameplay videos look too smooth and scripted to judge the game by.

4 minutes ago, Pockets said:

I think it will be good, but I also agree with the sentiment that there will be general positivity regardless. I’m not sure it will be an amazing leap forward in gameplay, even if it is in world building. 

Red Dead’s review scores have made it clear that I’m completely out of touch with how things are received. Between that, Witcher 3 and Last of Us I’m pretty sure the majority of reviewers are scoring things based on how boring I’ll find them. 

I’ve gone for 85-89 as I suspect it might not live up to the expectations (at least on launch, I suspect it might just get better over time).

But at the same time I sort of suspect it’ll get a really high score with the press basically on the hype train they’ll give it a pass even if it’s not quite all that (or at least not all that people made it out to be). Bit like RDR2 (but hopefully doesn’t control so terribly).

The one thing I know is that like all open world game reviews there will be mountains of bollocks describing how intricate it’s world is. How the NPCs go about proper routines and have real motivations. That it’s like a real world...

And then I’ll play it and know they’re either lying scum or fucking stupid. Because the characters are just as dumb as always. Or most NPCs will walk around a corner and disappear rather than continuing some imaginary daily routine. That what they somehow interpreted as intent or desires will in fact be glaringly simplistic goal systems. The dynamic combat will be little of the sort.

This won’t make it a bad game. It can be phenomenal with them all. But I’m fed up of reviewers overselling what they’re seeing in terms of complexity.

Rockstar really manage to do that every time, with reviewers endlessly praising their “living worlds” that amount to thousands of barely mobile mannequins that you can only ever interact with by shooting them, punching them or running them over. The frothing joy journalists displayed that RDR2 had a button to talk to people was ridiculous, like RPGs haven’t been managing that with more complexity and depth since the early eighties.

Marketing is a very powerful tool, even when applied to critics. Pump enough money into it and you guarantee yourself a score in the high eighties, even if your game is pump.

Of course it might actually be great, too.

7 minutes ago, Broker said:

Red Dead’s review scores have made it clear that I’m completely out of touch with how things are received. Between that, Witcher 3 and Last of Us I’m pretty sure the majority of reviewers are scoring things based on how boring I’ll find them. 

A lot of the time it always feels very speculative. I always have the feeling that a vast majority of game reviewers still feel that 'games are the new movies', and as long as it has epic heartfelt scenes being rendered spectacularly (along with the obligatory QTE to qualify it in the 'game' part), then that's what they'll score highly on. 

And there's nothing especially wrong with that viewpoint - I will wholeheartedly admit that the games I most enjoy playing are ones which have solid stories! 

I just don't think that's the sum of what the ambitions for games should be - although, clearly from the previous gen, Sony's first party stuff has been phenomenally successful, so I guess a lot of folk love that sort of thing too.

But these days -certainly from this gen in particular- I've noticed that the scope of gaming has increased. The sheer amount of indie games testify to this - I quite happily count Darkest Dungeon and Hollow Knight as two of the best games I've ever played, but they're both completely different from one another, and clearly miles away from what the traditional AAA project is too. I just think you sometimes have to delve deeper into places like Steam in order to find the buggers, which is a bit of a pity really and considering the amount of money that probably could be made from some of these gems if they were given a little bit more exposure, then I'd hope that this might be filtered through to more mainstream reviews of them.

9 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Thought I'd pop in to see what expectations were.

Why am I not surprised to see Broker, again, banging on about how he doesn't like RDR2?

Fucking hell.

Hey, if it bothers you so much why don’t you go play some shit games designed for idiots? Or check out some reviews of those shit games so you can have your opinions validated. You can keep trying to police me having opinions and stating them, but I’m never going to give a shit what you think.

AAA games tend to score highly unless they're really broken. Avengers picked up actual high scores from some places despite being at best reasonably competent and at worst cynical and shoddy. And that was without much hype.

In quite a few publications, the bar still seems to be set at around 8/10 for games that tick the basic genre boxes and look nice. 7/10 if the performance is a bit iffy. It's as much a measure of AAA production quality as anything else.

Metacritic also effectively rounds up scores from places that use 5 star or out of 10 systems. A 5 star review becomes a 100% according to them - which would almost certainly not be the case. Meanwhile, the more critical reviews tend to come from places that don't use score at all, so they don't get counted.

All of which is to say, Cyberpunk will almost certainly score very highly because it's big and ambitious and flashy, unless it's properly fucked with bugs. It might also be really good of course.

Just now, RubberJohnny said:

No non-exclusive game this year scored above a 90, so I’m going with high 80s, knocked down due to some bugs and jank.

hades is currently sitting on 91 (pc), 94 (switch).

36 minutes ago, Broker said:

Hey, if it bothers you so much why don’t you go play some shit games designed for idiots? Or check out some reviews of those shit games so you can have your opinions validated. You can keep trying to police me having opinions and stating them, but I’m never going to give a shit what you think.

My word.

This sort of unbridled fucking nonsense is exactly why I barely dip into the cesspit that is "Discussion' of video games. I've been in maybe four threads in Discussion today and in two of them you are banging out this same boring old 'RDR2 is shit' whining. And that is just today. You need to get over it as it is dull, dull, dull...

'police me'!

'opinions validated'!

'never going to give a shit what you think'!

Fucking hell, the struggles of the oppressed RDR2 hater are real.

38 minutes ago, Broker said:

Red Dead’s review scores have made it clear that I’m completely out of touch with how things are received.

Not really though, right? It's just one game - and it's okay not to like it.

As for CP77, I guess the user rating is going to depend on whether the game ends up containing any pro-women, pro-minority or anti-fascist stuff that wakes up the descendants of the GamerGate hordes, doesn't it?

10 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

As for CP77, I guess the user rating is going to depend on whether the game ends up containing any pro-women, pro-minority or anti-fascist stuff that wakes up the descendants of the GamerGate hordes, doesn't it?

Haven't CDPR copped some justified flak for flirting with that exact crowd?

It'll get 90+ easily, even if it is shit. Too much media hype has been invested in it and cdpr to get anything less. It may well be a very good game but it will never be as good as the review score and will face a huge backlash sometime after release, then the improved next gen version will be released and get worse scores despite being a much better game.