WandaVision - 15 January 2021

Surprised there's been no mention of the book that Vision was reading to the baby:

Spoiler

The Descent of Man, by Charles Darwin. I remember the original X-Men movies really leaning into evolution, and I guess you could call Darwin the father of evolution. Paul Bettany played Darwin in the movie 'Creation'.

Possibly just a nice touch, but surely not there by accident...

What if....

Spoiler

The blip is responsible for mutants?

They could easily make that the origin story of how a load of people who were magicked back into existence by a golden space glove were somehow changed along the way.

I like the idea of mutants already existing, but a small number of them. Wolverine, Magneto and Xavier are out there, but now the blip has caused random mutations in the populace. 

People saying 'If they're out there, how come we haven't seen them?' are missing the obvious elephant in the room, The Eternals. 

They've been hiding for millennia. 

18 minutes ago, knightbeat said:

@Thor @Broker I haven't read your entire discussion. Is this the one to which you're referring? I've just seen it in Sainsburys

https://comicscene.org/2021/01/21/wandavision-comic-tie-in-from-panini/

Wasn't what I was referring to. I'm wondering now if I got the early promotional material mixed up in my head and mistook it for an actual comic that was released. 

5 hours ago, cubik said:

What if....

Hide contents

The blip is responsible for mutants?

They could easily make that the origin story of how a load of people who were magicked back into existence by a golden space glove were somehow changed along the way.

Spoiler

3 snaps of the infinity stone not only released an ungodly amount of radiation, but reality has to be pretty wobbly after it.

OK, having listened to a few MCU fandom podcasts on the upcoming movies

Spoiler

One of the key discussion points is around the multiverse angle that the next Doc Strange movie is focusing on with mentions of Wanda and the next Spiderman both being involved in some way. 

After yesterday's surprise of Fox universe X-Men version of Quicksilver are we likely to see both Toby Maguire and Andrew Garfield versions of Spidey pop up in Spidey 3 (and of course the animated spideyverse characters). 

Also makes it far easier to tidy away some of the earlier Marvel TV projects that don't fully fit with MCU continuity anymore like Shield and the Netflix stuff as having happened in one of the other multiverses.

2 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

OK, having listened to a few MCU fandom podcasts on the upcoming movies

Hide contents

One of the key discussion points is around the multiverse angle that the next Doc Strange movie is focusing on with mentions of Wanda and the next Spiderman both being involved in some way. 

After yesterday's surprise of Fox universe X-Men version of Quicksilver are we likely to see both Toby Maguire and Andrew Garfield versions of Spidey pop up in Spidey 3 (and of course the animated spideyverse characters). 

Also makes it far easier to tidy away some of the earlier Marvel TV projects that don't fully fit with MCU continuity anymore like Shield and the Netflix stuff as having happened in one of the other multiverses.

Spoiler

well it’s been rumoured for a while that spidey 3 will have Garfield and McGuire as well as Jamie Foxx and Alfred Molina and tie into this series in some way - the multiverse allows you to pull everything together pick actors that you want to keep and recast where required. 
 I’m just looking forward to Deadpool being introduced and what he’s got to say about it all :)

13 minutes ago, Mortis said:

Hide contents

well it’s been rumoured for a while that spidey 3 will have Garfield and McGuire as well as Jamie Foxx and Alfred Molina and tie into this series in some way - the multiverse allows you to pull everything together pick actors that you want to keep and recast where required. 
 I’m just looking forward to Deadpool being introduced and what he’s got to say about it all :)

Spoiler

Makes sense then! The multiverse concept is nothing new either, been in both DC and Marvel comics for years and is an easy way of explaining (or getting rid) of crazy storyline in shared universes.

And yeah, Deadpool will be an interesting inclusion into the MCU, only a matter of time based on his popularity.

17 hours ago, Thor said:

Wasn't what I was referring to. I'm wondering now if I got the early promotional material mixed up in my head and mistook it for an actual comic that was released. 

I know what you mean - I’ve seen it too! I’m sure it was posted in this thread somewhere. But as you say no idea if it was just a promo image. 

Oh my god there’s a new spoiler image floating around. It might be fake (a lot of speculation that it is), but if not it’s a scanners.gif level thing. 

Edit: confirmed fake

Spoiler

Spoiler
18 hours ago, Vulgar Monkey said:
  Hide contents

Ok but I still want a Punisher cameo at some point. And if Bernthal's too busy I hear Dolph Lungren is free. :)

FTFY

5 hours ago, Laine said:

I know what you mean - I’ve seen it too! I’m sure it was posted in this thread somewhere. But as you say no idea if it was just a promo image. 

I thought it was based on a comic too. It is a proper Mandela Effect thing going on or are we all thinking of this maybe? 

5193DE1A-BD6D-4C0A-9218-7C811DE7ACA6.thumb.jpeg.45bb6e3c3b65df1d9537eef39a0d1ac4.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

It has nothing at all to do with that book though. 

I know, although I haven’t read it. I do think some of the cover images might make people ‘think’ they have seen a Wandavision comic. 

Right I've just gone through episodes 1-5 after just "seeing what it was like".

This is awesome.

Bettany and Olsen are spectacular, beyond brilliant.

It's entertaining and funny and tragic and engaging and addictive.

Also: I've never really read many Marvel comics, I've seen most of the movies to date (mostly only once) and I thought I recognised one of the characters but wasn't sure, though seeing them confirmed here I'm kinda like "Oh huh, cool."  It's obvious there's loads here for die hard fanatics but as a casual passerby my lack of knowledge isn't hampering my enjoyment at all :) 

On 05/02/2021 at 23:05, deKay said:

Nobody else seems to have mentioned when Wanda got her old accent back.

I thought I caught a touch of this

edit: argh, what is wrong with my spoiler tags

edit2: sod it, you'll never know. :lol: 

1 hour ago, SteveG said:

I know, although I haven’t read it. I do think some of the cover images might make people ‘think’ they have seen a Wandavision comic. 

Yep that’s it! I’ve scrolled past that and it’s stuck in my mind as ‘Oh there’s a comic with this sort of story then!’ as I know no background. I haven’t even properly seen the Avengers movie that Wanda is first in. I still like this show loads though it just means things like the ending of the latest episode aren’t quite as meaningful for me. 

Anyway, on Wanda’s voice, (spoilers up to and including episode 5)

Spoiler

She has sitcom voice and reality voice.  This was really apparent in her exchange with Geraldine before she booted her through the wall, she was basically Scarlett Witch.  Then when Vision came back in she had gone full sitcom voice/mode again.

Now I’ve used her name there as well, it’s interesting that no one in SWORD called her that.  Is she not known as that at all? Is it just a name we give her on the outside, from comics and such?

4 minutes ago, sprite said:

The real reason I’m stepping down from committee.

You should run for president, offering to bring back typed tags.

MAKE TAGS GREAT AGAIN!! ;)

46 minutes ago, sprite said:

Reveal hidden contents

She has sitcom voice and reality voice.  This was really apparent in her exchange with Geraldine before she booted her through the wall, she was basically Scarlett Witch.  Then when Vision came back in she had gone full sitcom voice/mode again.

Now I’ve used her name there as well, it’s interesting that no one in SWORD called her that.  Is she not known as that at all? Is it just a name we give her on the outside, from comics and such?

that

Spoiler

name has never been used in the the MCU

apparently

5 hours ago, sprite said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

I thought they were going to do something with that when the big cheese at Sword asked what her "Superhero name" was. I've always assumed the Scarlet Witch name was tied up in Fox rights, and I was expecting some kind of official naming moment now that's all cleared up.

"She's acting like... some kind of Dark Knight Scarlet Witch!"

It would have been amazingly horrible!

On 05/02/2021 at 21:01, Broker said:

That you just imagined? I’ve never seen a WandaVision comic and can’t see any reference to one online. 

The show seems to be vaguely related to Tom King’s run on Vision (which doesn’t feature Wanda), and also people are speculating that maybe it’s a bit like House of M, which it really isn’t. It features a plot line from the eighties Scarlett Witch and Vision comic but doesn’t fit into that in any other way. It’s literally a completely new story with one or two elements from unconnected comics, much like all of the Marvel movies.

Spoiler

I think there’s a bit of John Byrnes Avengers in there too. 

He definitely did the whole twins aren’t real / only around when she thinks of them.

The deconstructed Vision laid out on a table is straight from his comics too.

When brought back to life he bleached his whole appearance - skin and costume were white. 

Im glad I’ve stuck with it. I found the first episode a little dull, but it’s turned into a cracking series.