Jump to content

WandaVision - 15 January 2021


Recommended Posts

So far it feels more like the comic books I was drawn to in the weird corners of They Walk Among Us in Richmond as a kid than anything else Marvel or anyone else have ever put on screen. I've only seen the first ep but it was weird, funny and I'm genuinely intrigued to see where they're going with it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Rather enjoyed the first few episodes - but also glad their only 20-25 min. Each premise could have worn out its welcome.

 

Spoiler

So we’ve seen references to Struker

 

SWORD was on the helicopter and the BeeMan

 

Did the red pulse on the toaster advert mean anything?

 

I can’t work out why Bee’s blood was red though?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully there’s not much more of the sitcom stuff. It’s largely self indulgent and not particularly funny. Feels like they could have dealt with the important bits of the set up in 10 minutes. Not feeling it at all so far.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Really enjoyed the first two episodes of this. It trod a really fine line, managing to stay faithful to the tv shows they were inspired by whilst still being interesting and modern enough for the 21st century.

 

I could have done without the ridiculously heavy handed THIS IS WHAT IS HAPPENING bits, especially at the end of the episodes. Thanks, but I’m smart enough to work this stuff out for myself and I’d prefer it they credited me with that intelligence. But thankfully that didn’t impact the show too much.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jonamok said:

Hopefully there’s not much more of the sitcom stuff. It’s largely self indulgent and not particularly funny. Feels like they could have dealt with the important bits of the set up in 10 minutes. Not feeling it at all so far.

Conversely, I think that’s it’s strong point and I hope it has the guts to stick with it and lean into it as the show goes on.

 

Spoiler

It looks like we might get a different era of sitcom with each episode. I’m hoping for a Roseanne episode transitioning into a Frasier one.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like this show is only the way it is because it can bank on fans watching. I hope it isn’t entirely a series of “ooh what’s this?” and then going on Wikipedia to look up a reference to SWORD’s storylines. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wife is unsure about this so far but I think it great.  Knowing the comic background helps, but it’s perfectly possible that they might not go down that route, or it will be different so looking forward to how it develops.  2nd ep was stronger than the first and I read it was a slow burner but 

Spoiler

I can’t help but think that this will end on a low note as Wanda won’t really be pregnant, Vision is still gone and she is possibly having a breakdown, which she is trying to cope with through these setups

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah they've done an on-target pastiche of 50s/60s sitcoms and you can feel themselves patting themselves on the back at how accurate they've been to those old shows, but they forgot to put much of anything else in so ultimately all you were left with was the experience of watching a couple of unfunny old sitcom episodes. Obviously there's still a bunch of episodes to go and this was setup for a reveal that already seems like it’s going to be painfully obvious. I guess I was hoping for more from even the start, for example in the way that early Twin Peaks homaged bad soap operas without actually just being a bad soap opera itself.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I really enjoyed it.  Perfect length so it does not outstay it’s welcome, and I am definitely intrigued to watch more.

 

Also really nice to see Anya from Buffy on TV again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Obviously there's still a bunch of episodes to go and this was setup for a reveal that already seems like it’s going to be painfully obvious.

I’d be interested to hear where you think it’s going. I really haven’t a clue beyond thinking they’re being held in some kind of alternate reality. By who and why though, I’ve really no idea. Is it a completely new story or is it from a comic or something?

 

Anyway, I’m intrigued enough to stick with it, even though it was quite slow.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like I’m missing something because so far it just seems really shit but so much so that it’s got to be intentional.  It’s been a tiring week and I’m presuming I’m just too tired and not clever enough to see past the face value.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, JPL said:

I’d be interested to hear where you think it’s going. I really haven’t a clue beyond thinking they’re being held in some kind of alternate reality. By who and why though, I’ve really no idea. Is it a completely new story or is it from a comic or something?

 

Anyway, I’m intrigued enough to stick with it, even though it was quite slow.


Speculation.

 

Spoiler

In her grief Wanda has taken over a town and inside this bubble is currently forcing the inhabitants to act as players in her fantasies. On the outside an agency (appears to be SWORD, Nick Fury’s new outfit from the end of Far From Home, based on the logos that appeared in these two episodes) is trying to break in/reach her.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Harsin said:


Speculation.

 

  Hide contents

In her grief Wanda has taken over a town and inside this bubble is currently forcing the inhabitants to act as players in her fantasies. On the outside an agency (appears to be SWORD, Nick Fury’s new outfit from the end of Far From Home, based on the logos that appeared in these two episodes) is trying to break in/reach her.

 

Interesting. Although...

Spoiler

 

I wasn’t really aware she was powerful enough to create her own realities to that scale. It definitely seems to fit though and it’s an interesting enough angle to keep me watching.

 

The only logos I noticed were the watch by Hydra and the toaster by Stark Industries.

 

I also wonder what the little injections of colour mean and, if your theory is correct, whether she even knows what she’s done.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jonamok said:

Hopefully there’s not much more of the sitcom stuff. It’s largely self indulgent and not particularly funny. Feels like they could have dealt with the important bits of the set up in 10 minutes. Not feeling it at all so far.


After watching it I’d be well up for this just as a sitcom! I get that’s not the point and happy to see where it goes.

 

It feels very like Life on Mars at the moment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, deKay said:


After watching it I’d be well up for this just as a sitcom! I get that’s not the point and happy to see where it goes.

 

It feels very like Life on Mars at the moment.

Oh no, I agree with deKay about a TV show. I need to rethink my life choices. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, deKay said:


After watching it I’d be well up for this just as a sitcom! I get that’s not the point and happy to see where it goes.

 

It feels very like Life on Mars at the moment.

With a hefty dollop of Pleasantville.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.