WandaVision - 15 January 2021

Going back to stepbro-wot-goes-fast, I thought

Spoiler

Agatha uses the phrase 'wherever he came from' when talking about him? Might have remembered that wrong, but it felt more like a literal admission that it wasnt her, rather than some wierd joke.

1 hour ago, PK said:

From what I remember I don't think that's what happens. As soon as they travel to the past they are creating a new reality, because in their own reality their future selves were never there at that time. At the end of the film they return the stones to those realities, to ensure that they can carry on existing - their own reality still has them all, albeit atomised on Thanos' farm.

Although that falls apart a bit when the elderly Captain America turns up at the end!

Yes, that’s exactly right - they’re returned to the past a few moments after they were taken, which is now a forked, new reality due to them time-travelling in the first place. 

Edit - actually, I think that’s not quite right either! By returning the stones the fork is undone, correct?

1 hour ago, McCoy said:

I get that, but why will the alternative realities fail without the stones whilst the main MCU reality is going to be fine even post the destruction of the stones. 

If the stones are required to maintain reality then destroying them will surely cause issues? 

Edit: Ah, PK probably nails it, stones still exist in MCU reality just in atoms. 

Doctor Strange spoilers:

Spoiler

Because, at the very least, Dormammu would have destroyed Earth if Strange hadn’t intervened with the Time Stone. 

There are probably loads of other examples that I can’t think of, but the Infinity Stones are the main McGuffins in the MCU and have been used a load of times to directly alter the course of events or save the world/other worlds. I don’t think The Ancient One was foreshadowing as-yet unknown events in future movies when she said her reality was doomed without the stones. Come to think of it, (Endgame spoilers:

Spoiler

When Hulk told her that Strange allowed Thanos to have the Time Stone, she knew right away what was going to happen, and gave it willingly herself;

she knows that, when the time comes, the same thing will have to happen in her reality too. 

I went back and watched the scene, this is what she says. Does lean more towards it just being some random bloke.

Spoiler

A: I got close with fake Pietro... Fietro, if you will. But no dice.

W: That was you?

A: No, it wasn't literally me. Just my eyes and ears. A [word I'm unsure of] possession. Necromancy was a non-starter since your real brother's body is on another continent. Not to mention full of holes. But you're so crippled by your own self-doubt you believed it! 

They mentioned the accent! Surely that's got to be to do with this.

Was this the plan all along then? I always thought scarlet witch was never given much time, even in Ultron. 

Who knows - it’s more likely they looked at who was left in contract or decided to renew and built the phase around that. Luckily they have a fair few secondary characters (ie not the main avengers lineup) they can flesh out a bit now. 
 Bodes well for the next cycle of movies though if this is the quality of the TV output. 

4 hours ago, Harsin said:

I went back and watched the scene, this is what she says. Does lean more towards it just being some random bloke.

Hide contents

A: No, it wasn't literally me. Just my eyes and ears. A [word I'm unsure of] possession. Necromancy was a non-starter since your real brother's body is on another continent. Not to mention full of holes. But you're so crippled by your own self-doubt you believed it! 

Unless I'm misremembering, I believe the subtitles read:

Spoiler

crystalline

Make of that what you will...

26 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

Wanda and Vision are now my top tier marvel avengers. 

Nah, they’re still scrubs.

Vision has maybe crawled a few spots up thanks to his comic timing.

Hawkeye is still the worst though...

Vision is rubbish. He can walk through walls but got the crap beaten out of him in the movies. 

I don’t think this multiverse nonsense is all that interesting and hope they stay away from it. The best marvel stuff is when they focus on the characters and their relationships, like in Winter Soldier and with Wanda’s grief in this. Couldn’t give a crap about infinite timelines. 

Re. the Pietro theories. If

Spoiler

Agatha was using the nexus to grab a speedster from another reality, and couldn't use Wanda's real brother as he was brown bread, why not just grab a Pietro from one of the infinite realities where he was still alive? I presume they didn't hire ATJ for reasons, so used Evan Peters for a bit of a laugh.

9 hours ago, Harsin said:

Hide contents

I took the bold bit to be

Spoiler

a hint that it was another version of Quicksilver because, if it is just Agatha's eyes and ears, then surely the super-speed is still his?  This theory may be heavily influenced by the fact that I'm keen as mustard to have the Fox Quicksilver be part of the MCU though!

I still feel like if he’s not the fox version then hiring Evan Peters is a ridiculous choice. If they couldn’t get ATJ they could have picked literally any actor in the world and either pulled a Rhodey or used the exact same script they have now without people assuming anything. If they’ve chosen Evan Peters for that role and he’s not the fox version then they’re absolute idiots. 

1 hour ago, Broker said:

I still feel like if he’s not the fox version then hiring Evan Peters is a ridiculous choice. If they couldn’t get ATJ they could have picked literally any actor in the world and either pulled a Rhodey or used the exact same script they have now without people assuming anything. If they’ve chosen Evan Peters for that role and he’s not the fox version then they’re absolute idiots. 

But, like, it's a talking point isn't it? I thought that Pietro moment was a really cool thing, probably one of my highlights of the series. It's enough to make you think this isn't just bad sitcom pastiches with little hints of MCU forwardness sprinkled in between. It's a bit of an "oh shit, anything can happen now" moment. I don't think every fun, cool thing that happens has to be "the future of the MCU for the next ten years." It could be just a fun little TV cameo. I think if we've learned anything from Lost it's don't take all of the minute details too seriously in the grand scheme of things and just enjoy the ride. 

Unless we do get Fox X Men going forward in which case disregard the above and everything I've ever said or go on to say. 

12 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

But, like, it's a talking point isn't it? I thought that Pietro moment was a really cool thing, probably one of my highlights of the series. It's enough to make you think this isn't just bad sitcom pastiches with little hints of MCU forwardness sprinkled in between. It's a bit of an "oh shit, anything can happen now" moment. I don't think every fun, cool thing that happens has to be "the future of the MCU for the next ten years." It could be just a fun little TV cameo. I think if we've learned anything from Lost it's don't take all of the minute details too seriously in the grand scheme of things and just enjoy the ride. 

Unless we do get Fox X Men going forward in which case disregard the above and everything I've ever said or go on to say. 

I don’t think it needs to be the whole future of the MCU, but I also think you can have a fun sitcom recasting joke without specifically choosing an actor who will create endless speculation.

To me it feels like if it’s not Fox quicksilver it’s straying more into Lost territory, putting things on screen that you know the audience will react strongly to just for the sake of that strong reaction with no plans for it to mean anything and no justification in your story is just low quality bait. The answer “he’s just some  dude who happens to look exactly the same as the alternate universe version of this character did” is pure JJ Abrams bullshit. And there’s not much point in an “oh shit anything can happen” moment of the second half of that sentence is “but it didn’t”.

6 minutes ago, Broker said:

I don’t think it needs to be the whole future of the MCU, but I also think you can have a fun sitcom recasting joke without specifically choosing an actor who will create endless speculation.

To me it feels like if it’s not Fox quicksilver it’s straying more into Lost territory, putting things on screen that you know the audience will react strongly to just for the sake of that strong reaction with no plans for it to mean anything and no justification in your story is just low quality bait. The answer “he’s just some  dude who happens to look exactly the same as the alternate universe version of this character did” is pure JJ Abrams bullshit. And there’s not much point in an “oh shit anything can happen” moment of the second half of that sentence is “but it didn’t”.

But again I don't think it has to mean they're trying to kid people. It could just be a fun wink to camera. Similar to the Kick Ass joke in the next episode. I think I'm wrong and it probably means more than all of this but if it doesn't I'd like to think there's space for them using their history for funny little nods without them being accused of misleading their audience. 

As for the "Oh shit, anything can happen" side of things, it set up that Agatha moment quite nicely? Either way we're not going to really know until Friday.

In an infinite multiverse, there are an infinite number of Quicksilvers that look like the MCU one, and an infinite number of them that look like the Fox one, and an infinite number of other ones.

So he can be a "real" Quicksilver *and* not be from the MCU or Fox.