WandaVision - 15 January 2021

I’d call it passable. I t just about held my attention but it needs to move on quite quickly and turn into something more focused on the mystery or whatever. Depending on how the next episodes play out I wonder if a drop of more than 2 to start to get more meat of the story on show and hook people might have been better. As it is I guess I’ll watch next week but not really excited about it.

I guess it doesn’t help that my rewatch of the Marvel films in the tail end of last year wasn’t great. It’s got good films and moments but it’s so so samey. I’ve soured on the universe a bit. Feels like the biggest threat of this (and Star Wars) will be oversaturation.

Honestly I think this show needed the entire series put on at the same time. Most my friends who watched it say they cant be bothered with the other episodes.

I'm kinda thinking the same , but I'll keep watching as the episodes arnt particular long.

It's just a shame if its building into something bigger because honestly those first two episodes seemed cringe and not funny at all even if it's been self aware.

This feels like the first thing I'd answer no to if asked "would you be watching this without the connection to Marvel".

I think it's a bit of a misjudged project tbh, like I'm in my mid thirties and have only seen maybe a couple of episodes of Bewitched, and that would have been maybe twenty years ago, and I have no affinity for them. I think "boy, if this is this much of a miss for me, think how much this is missing for all the younger people".

10 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

This feels like the first thing I'd answer no to if asked "would you be watching this without the connection to Marvel".

I think it's a bit of a misjudged project tbh, like I'm in my mid thirties and have only seen maybe a couple of episodes of Bewitched, and that would have been maybe twenty years ago, and I have no affinity for them. I think "boy, if this is this much of a miss for me, think how much this is missing for all the younger people".

Yeah, but imagine they do an episode from the 90s that looks like Friends, but with the rest of the Avengers. 

42 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

I’m not that worried about that.  I am liking it so far and I think it’s fine if Marvel is confident enough and have enough in the pipeline now that not everything I’m has to appeal to everyone.  Obviously, this wasn’t meant to be the first Marvel series to come out, but I like that it hints that future shows can go in all kind of directions too.

I like how Marvel have been confident enough to throw the audience straight into this. So many other shows/films would have a set up that would see Wanda take herself into this world, but this just throws you straight in. I like that, its intriguing.

1 hour ago, Stigweard said:

I like how Marvel have been confident enough to throw the audience straight into this. So many other shows/films would have a set up that would see Wanda take herself into this world, but this just throws you straight in. I like that, its intriguing.

Let's not give credit where it isn't due. They've made all the money.

1 minute ago, makkuwata said:

Let's not give credit where it isn't due. They've made all the money.

What does that have to do with them throwing the audience straight into the weird 50s sitcom situation off the bat with zero set up? 

I think they're just timing it to trickle straight into Falcon & Winter Soldier, and that into Loki, and so forth. I am enjoying it but I agree they've spent too long on the setup. I think it damages the show to have two whole episodes devoted to the idea that everything's fine and fun in sitcom land but oh no something's up. They've basically told the same story twice.

4 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

What does that have to do with them throwing the audience straight into the weird 50s sitcom situation off the bat with zero set up? 

You don't get to do that without doing the other thing first.

8 minutes ago, makkuwata said:

You don't get to do that without doing the other thing first.

So they don't get to do that because they made loads of money previously. What a weird way of looking at it. 

You still risk turning a lot of people away and then they might not be as keen on other TV content. Even in this very thread people didn't like it and they might not stick with it. 

Its not your typical MCU fodder which is always usually pretty safe.

Thinking back on the speculation from earlier, I wonder what the significance of it being set as old sitcoms is?

Spoiler

Is it just how she perceives an old idyllic life or is there something more to it? Seems a bit odd that she’s chosen American style shows and not Russian, or wherever she’s supposed to be from.

16 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

So they don't get to do that because they made loads of money previously. What a weird way of looking at it. 

You still risk turning a lot of people away and then they might not be as keen on other TV content. Even in this very thread people didn't like it and they might not stick with it. 

Its not your typical MCU fodder which is always usually pretty safe.

Ever since Guardians "Typical MCU fodder" has been a licence to do what they want creatively, because it's going to make money. That's great when it works.

I'm curious to see where this is going, but I'm shocked by the overwhelmingly positive reaction to it, especially from critic's who have only seen one more episode. I assume it's Halloween from the trailers last year.

Yeah, first thing my partner has watched since the Avengers and Ironman and she quite enjoyed it. When I tried to show Vision from IW:1 she just kinda zoned out.

Has potential, whats fucked it is the weekly release. Should have done 3 eps a week for 3 weeks based upon what Paul Bettany said.

14 minutes ago, cassidy said:

I'm annoyed at the reaction tbh. Cos comics don't have to do the same ole shit and most of the good ones subvert that. 

Can't believe im defending Marvel and Disney here tbh but have an open mind and let things and the story develop.  

It was just so dull, but I am sure it will lead up to something more interesting soon.

1 hour ago, JPL said:

Thinking back on the speculation from earlier, I wonder what the significance of it being set as old sitcoms is?

Hide contents

Is it just how she perceives an old idyllic life or is there something more to it? Seems a bit odd that she’s chosen American style shows and not Russian, or wherever she’s supposed to be from.

Could be that they were the only American shows allowed to be screened in her country or something. I remember Norman Wisdom was an absolute superstar in Albania because his films were the only Western movies allowed to be shown in the country until the fall of communism.

49 minutes ago, cassidy said:

I'm annoyed at the reaction tbh. Cos comics don't have to do the same ole shit and most of the good ones subvert that. 

Can't believe im defending Marvel and Disney here tbh but have an open mind and let things and the story develop.  

I’m glad to see something different. Just as yet for me it’s not proved to actually be any good. They’ll get points when it is. It’s not bad so far for me, just erm, a bit dull. It’ll get the benefit of the doubt and i guess we’ll see how it goes. I definitely don’t want it to end up down the same path as most Marvel stuff.

26 minutes ago, Welrain said:

So..did everyone spot Anya from Buffy. 

Not only that did you pick up on the reference of her character not liking rabbits? 

Well I really enjoyed the first episodes. Good send-up of shows of the era, a few lil MCU references and despite surprisingly few actually funny parts it was entertaining. The creepy undertones and things going 'wrong' are unsettling and different, I'm really interested in where it goes.

2 hours ago, cassidy said:

I didn’t like it. I have an open mind. But if you’re gonna give me an hour of sit-com pastiche, at least have some ‘com’ in it.

I think most of the love for this is the well-observed ‘50s member berries, the MCU Easter egg hunt, the little nods and hints for comic readers, and the likability of the leads. That’s all fucking great, but when the gags are so shallow and knowingly naff, when the physical comedy is so self-conscious, and it lasts for an hour, sorry, I need the actual bulk of the show to do more of the heavy lifting.

Nick Fury walking into a room and  shaking Wanda, saying "Yo, wake up Wanda, it's all a dream yo" is a 3 minute program. 

I'll happily watch programs set up nice and slowly and hide stuff and misdirect things and not show me the end in the first 10 minutes because that's entertaining. 

I loved it. Fully invested in it all.