WandaVision - 15 January 2021

JohnC

8 hours ago, Popo said:

It was a bit of fun - knowing fun, I’ll grant you, but hardly an incitement.

It was that as well: but still, it's inevitable that some people were going to wildly speculate. It was totally worth it and I loved it, but again, I wouldn't blame someone else for being a bit narked by it. 

Again, I don't think there was anything wrong with anybody jumping to exciting conclusions after that reveal. I even posted some on here. It was posed as a cliffhanger, and it was a fun week of speculation. But the fact that people were still waiting for some big X-Men twist after the end of the next episode, and the episode after that, and the episode after that, all the way in to some bitter disappointment that the finale didn't pay off their particular cross-media corporate merger theory, is just deeply depressing to me. It's the fan speculation tail wagging the dog and if Rise of Skywalker is any indication, Disney's going to course-correct violently away from it. Multiverse of Madness is probably being focus tested in front of a panel of Twitter's wildest speculators so they can rework the film to avoid anything that might possibly be misread.

You don’t need a Twitter panel to know that putting the X-Men actor for Quicksilver in an MCU production as Quicksilver when you’ve announced that this series leads into a movie with the word multiverse in the title and you’ve just bought the X-Men franchise and the internet has leaked that the new Spider-Man movie will deal with the multiverse and feature actors from previous Spider-Man franchises reprising their roles might cause people to think that he’s playing the X-Men version of Quicksilver because of some multiverse stuff. You’d just need to think that choice through. 

The fact that it’s one of the things most people are talking about and that people here who are paying a lot of attention were confused by this choice is plenty of proof of what a stupid idea it was, unless they were looking to bait out this exact reaction because they want discussion of the show no matter what the specific talking points are. You can keep posting insulting things suggesting that anyone who drew the obvious conclusion from their casting choices is stupid but the reaction to it speaks for itself. It would have been incredibly easy to predict this response but they either didn’t or did and decided to do it anyway. If this leads to them not making any more choices that distract from the actual stories they’re telling because they’re desperate to generate speculation articles then it’s a good thing. 

It does feel a bit weird painting the audience reaching exactly the conclusion Disney wanted when they deliberately made that casting decision (it wasn’t like they did an open casting call and Evan Peters just wandered in) as insane theorycrafting fantasists.

I suppose it helps draw attention away from the finale being such a desperately uninspired lasers and skybeams effort though.

Was it the conclusion Disney wanted people to make? Not, “oh, it’s Quicksilver from the Fox movies, I wonder what it means” but “there will be a Fox-Marvel crossover before the end of this show despite the lack of any other references to it and the various plot points that directly contradict this”? Was that the read most people took?

I know there is a significant audience for whom reading recaps of the show and comparing notes on the franchise properties referenced in it and the corporate context were more important than, y’know, the actual plot and characters in the show which made it obvious what was happening. I just hope that that audience never becomes Disney’s primary target for the MCU because I’ll just check out completely.

You’re going a bit full blown corporate apologist now. Maybe dial it back a bit yeah? People are allowed to like a piece of media more or less than you. I mean the choice of Bohner as a name, most people here who weren’t fussed on it are just saying it was a bit of a rubbish joke that capped of what some felt was a bit of a flaccid B-plot. But you paint it as ‘raging’ and continue spluttering in performative disbelief if you want.

I’m not being an apologist for anything, Disney are the architects of exactly this kind of bizarre wikification of popular culture. I just want people to have some sense of self-awareness that they didn’t arrive at disappointment because the story led them there, but because they have bought in to that multimedia nonsense uncritically.

There’s five times as much discussion on here about whether they were going to introduce The Fantastic Four in this than there is about the protagonist’s obvious life-destroying depression. That’s wild. That’s absolutely bonkers.

To put it in blunter terms, on the basis of this thread the most dedicated MCU fans have lost the ability to actually consume fiction, and they need to get a grip because Disney sure as fuck isn’t going to make it better.

Just now, Harsin said:

And plenty of people were making fun of the more outlandish oh my god they’re going to meet Reed Richards and Wolverine and fight Mephisto stuff throughout this thread.

Yeah, some people in this thread aren’t sitting here furious that a sight gag didn’t turn out to be the keystone of the universe.

2 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

There’s five times as much discussion on here about whether they were going to introduce The Fantastic Four in this than there is about the protagonist’s obvious life-destroying depression. That’s wild. That’s absolutely bonkers.

Which is probably why Disney were deliberately misleading in a weekly program that is heavily pushing their streaming service. They wanted engagement, they got it. The fact that it’s a multi episode tease that sets up a boner joke is honestly a bit shit. Not because I expected or wanted the x-men, just because it’s a shit pay off. 

Just now, Radish said:

Which is probably why Disney were deliberately misleading in a weekly program that is heavily pushing their streaming service. They wanted engagement, they got it. The fact that it’s a multi episode tease that sets up a boner joke is honestly a bit shit. Not because I expected or wanted the x-men, just because it’s a shit pay off. 

Maybe when it looks like something might happen and it not only is never mentioned again, but is outright contradicted in the dialogue, it’s not “a multi-episode tease” but “you have misread the joke”?

My main issue with the Quicksilver plot is that it feels like such a wet fart. Guy turns up who looks and acts nothing like the character from Age of Ultron. Then they play it off like it’s a big reveal that the guy who looks and acts nothing like him is *gasp* an imposter. 

/me watching at home:

spacer.png

3 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Yeah, some people in this thread aren’t sitting here furious that a sight gag didn’t turn out to be the keystone of the universe.

Here we go again with trying to portray anyone who isn’t you as some kind of frothing at the mouth rage monster instead of just peeps trying to have a conversation about a TV show where witches shag robots.

2 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Here we go again with trying to portray anyone who isn’t you as some kind of frothing at the mouth rage monster instead of just peeps trying to have a conversation about a TV show where witches shag robots.

I’m being my trademark hyperbolic baffled, sorry if it comes across as misrepresenting people. I just can’t get my head around the idea that someone would spend half a season of a TV show waiting for something to happen that just obviously isn’t, on the basis of a fan theory. They’re standing in the car park waiting for James McAvoy and Jennifer Lawrence to show up while Wandavision drives off over the horizon in the distance. And then they’re mad at Wandavision.

14 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Yeah and the show was absolutely incredible when the show was focused on exploring those themes and the characters. You know what distracted from that? The absolute waste of time stunt casting that served no other purpose than a dick joke. 

That is all on the show runner, not the fans.

Just now, SweatyTravolta said:

Yeah and the show was absolutely incredible when the show was focused on exploring those themes and the characters. You know what distracted from that? The absolute waste of time stunt casting that served no other purpose than a dick joke. 

That is all on the show runner, not the fans.

I spent zero minutes thinking about Pietro after the Halloween episode. I think I posted in here that I was like “oh, so Pietro is just Pietro then”.

Having never seen any of the X-Men movies I had no frame of reference for this stuff whatsoever and so took the "recasting" and "Agatha all along" reveals at face value; I think I had a better time of it as a result.

It's apt that this is the MCU property that has had the most to do with Age of Ultron since it came out, because (for me) they that film and the last episode of this left me with the feeling that I'd spent time watching an extended preview for things to come than a satisfying cohesive story in its own right. The big emotional centrepoint of this series should have been Wanda learning to say goodbye to Vision on her own terms after the horrifying way he went out in Infinity War. And they tried to do that, but it's completley undermined by making the 'real' Vision come back to life and having him regain his memories 10 minutes beforehand (then just flying out of the episode for reasons). Stay tuned to see Monica Rambeau (who turned out to be a complete nothing of a character apart from her first episode) in Captain Marvel 2 and Vision will return in Avengers vs Star Wars: Battle for Arendelle. As a whole Marvel Studios do a good job blancing the whole connected universe thing and creating decent standalone films, but this series ended up falling on the Age of Ultron/Iron Man 2 end of the scale for me.

2 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Having never seen any of the X-Men movies I had no frame of reference for this stuff whatsoever and so took the "recasting" and "Agatha all along" reveals at face value; I think I had a better time of it as a result.

I think that’s been a truism throughout the MCU, they tend to be pitched so that the totality of the story is on the screen.

4 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Disney, make this happen now!

I fully expect it will happen in the last fifteen minutes of Black Widow without any prior mention of Star Wars whatsoever, solely based on a careful reading of the Fortnite metaverse.

If it doesn’t you will all have to hear about it forever.

Spoiler

It was Agatha all along.

You know what got a good arc in this? His slight of hand skills. Established in episode one as a call back to Ant-Man 2, paid off in episode nine.