WandaVision - 15 January 2021

14 hours ago, jonny_rat said:

I mean, making that link definite would mean setting out years of the direction that they're going with the entire canon. I think the only real option was to leave it hanging as a tease that might mean more given future events. It's surely going to be one of the tentpole movies that starts to kick all that stuff off proper.

I didn't really object to the Bohner joke the way some fans did. But I agree that they could have left it ambiguous, or a mystery, to not explicitly rule out a connection to the Fox X-Men films, while also not focusing on the past or setting in stone the direction MCU mutants will take.

Something like this:

INT - SWORD TENT - NIGHT

JIMMY WOO is picking the CAST FILES off the wall and stacking them up in a pile. He comes to the last one.

WOO

I guess now we know who everyone in Wanda's TV show really was! Except this one; can't find him on any list of Westview residents...

The camera pans down to the LAST PAGE and we see: it's the one on PIETRO! His photo is circled with a RED SHARPIE with a QUESTION MARK scrawled next to it.

WOO

I wonder who he really was?  Will we ever know? For now I'm just going to put these MYSTERY files in their BOX.

Y'know, something like that. Only not like that, because I'm not a professional writer.

EXT. EMPTY LOT, NIGHT

The cinder block outline of a home that never could be, was, and was gone again.

A MAGENTA CARTOON CAPE sweeps down from the sky.

PAN UP to reveal a MAGENTA CARTOON HELMET, then cut to a MAGENTA CARTOON HAND holding ADOPTION PAPERS and a MAP.

MAGENTO: I missed her again! Drat!

MAGENTO snaps his fingers in frustration and floats off in to the sky.

MAGENTO: Next time, Daughter! Next time!

A PORTAL opens and MAGENTO returns to the Fox animated 1990s universe. The X-MEN CARTOON THEME plays.

1 hour ago, jonny_rat said:

WOO: You can't do this Wanda! It's not right!

WOO bangs his hand hard on the table to drive the point home.

WOO: Me fist! Oh!

That last line is fantastic, but can I add a note to flesh it out? Drop that he is of Irish/Asian hertitage and that the accent, baked into his DNA, comes out at times of stress. Mention this in several episodes prior to this scene. Have him carrying a shillelagh, etc

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

It wouldn't be any stupider than Nick Fury was a Skrull all along in Far From Home. I thought that was a real dumb reveal.

I might have read this wrong, but I thought

Spoiler

that Talos was only disguised as Nick Fury during Far From Home so that Nick could have a beach holiday on the space station?  Nick Fury from all the other films is still the original human no?

Yes.

I think it was daft soley in the context of the events of that one film and didn't serve any purpose in the actual film and was just an excuse for a coming soon scene. See also Thor taking a bath in a pool that showed him a trailer for Thor Ragnarok which turned out to have little bearing on the actual film we got.

Wandavision was basically just Wanda's origin story (and maybe Brie Larson V2?). I don't think it has much more depth outside of some easter eggs. But I guess you could levy that at at least a few of the other stand alones.

5 hours ago, Harsin said:

I think it was daft soley in the context of the events of that one film and didn't serve any purpose in the actual film and was just an excuse for a coming soon scene. 

It serves the noble and utterly essential purpose that we get more Talos screentime.  Phase 4 better hang mostly around his exploits.

4 hours ago, IcEBuRN said:

Wandavision was basically just Wanda's origin story (and maybe Brie Larson V2?). I don't think it has much more depth outside of some easter eggs. But I guess you could levy that at at least a few of the other stand alones.

As much as the like of that Paul Bettany line has quickly exploded into some combination of memes...the performances were incredible. Imagine being in pitches on this show, then reading the script, then figuring how to nail every delivered syllable.

The lines have long been blurred between TV and Movies....but some of that was Oscar worthy on a different format. But what is an Oscar? etc. And on it goes....

On 17/01/2021 at 00:29, Sidewaysbob said:

Nick Fury walking into a room and  shaking Wanda, saying "Yo, wake up Wanda, it's all a dream yo" is a 3 minute program. 

I'll happily watch programs set up nice and slowly and hide stuff and misdirect things and not show me the end in the first 10 minutes because that's entertaining. 

I loved it. Fully invested in it all. 

Well, it wasn't Nick Fury, but I'm going to say I was pretty much spot on :hat:

10 minutes ago, cavalcade said:

What I am most impressed with, as others have said, is both the moral ambiguity of the thing and how it really examines grief for a superhero and what form it might take. I like that it wasn't a perfect redemption arc, that it recognises at stages the grief makes people pick wrong choices with bad consequences. How grief makes you take the selfish road at times.

Yes, absolutely. It reminded me of Logan in that respect, with its examination of how disastrous a superhero suffering from dementia could be for the rest of the world.

I’ve still got two pages to go in this argument about Quicksilver but wanted to get my thoughts out.

Spoiler

It was perfect casting, and actually the most viable choice IMHO - if it had been ATJ, they would have had to find a way to explain how the face of the random guy repurposed by Agatha was identical to Wanda’s real brother. It would also make it seem much more like Wanda did it herself just as she did with Vision. Of course we’re talking about magic here so sure, they could have written it so that Agatha changed his face to resemble her brother, and just have him morph back after the reveal (which would have seemed really lame). Or do it as actual necromancy, but that is similarly cheap.

Alternatively if they cast an actual random new face as Quicksilver? The audience wouldn’t click who it was meant to be without basil exposition. But casting someone who is already known as Quicksilver to everyone (except the in-universe characters) but is not actually her brother wraps it all up perfectly with a neat little bow.

Except ultimately it wasn’t, as it was undone by the overreaction that followed. Easy to see it coming with the benefit of hindsight.

edit -

Spoiler

Forgot to add how it also perfectly plays into the sitcom theme. If I was the writer who came up with that ‘recast’ twist I would have been convinced I had just had the definitive moment of my career. Weren’t people here even speculating there would be some Roasanne reference involving recasting key cast members, way before that episode aired? It was a genius moment!

An hour making of went up on Friday which is worth a watch.

Mainly Olsen and Bettany interviews with some behind the scenes footage and some interesting focus on how seriously they took getting the sitcoms of the different eras to be authentic.

7 hours ago, Ork1927 said:

An hour making of went up on Friday which is worth a watch.

Mainly Olsen and Bettany interviews with some behind the scenes footage and some interesting focus on how seriously they took getting the sitcoms of the different eras to be authentic.

I thought it was great, but they never did explain why Paul was wearing a plastic bum. 

10 hours ago, jon_cybernet said:

I thought it was great, but they never did explain why Paul was wearing a plastic bum. 

He's only a 42" chest as best.  Lots of padding up top, so probably just beefcaking his bum.

On 14/03/2021 at 10:47, Darwock said:

I’ve still got two pages to go in this argument about Quicksilver but wanted to get my thoughts out.

Hide contents

It was perfect casting, and actually the most viable choice IMHO - if it had been ATJ, they would have had to find a way to explain how the face of the random guy repurposed by Agatha was identical to Wanda’s real brother. It would also make it seem much more like Wanda did it herself just as she did with Vision. Of course we’re talking about magic here so sure, they could have written it so that Agatha changed his face to resemble her brother, and just have him morph back after the reveal (which would have seemed really lame). Or do it as actual necromancy, but that is similarly cheap.

Alternatively if they cast an actual random new face as Quicksilver? The audience wouldn’t click who it was meant to be without basil exposition. But casting someone who is already known as Quicksilver to everyone (except the in-universe characters) but is not actually her brother wraps it all up perfectly with a neat little bow.

Except ultimately it wasn’t, as it was undone by the overreaction that followed. Easy to see it coming with the benefit of hindsight.

edit -

Hide contents

Forgot to add how it also perfectly plays into the sitcom theme. If I was the writer who came up with that ‘recast’ twist I would have been convinced I had just had the definitive moment of my career. Weren’t people here even speculating there would be some Roasanne reference involving recasting key cast members, way before that episode aired? It was a genius moment!

Spoiler

This would only work if you completely ignored Disney buying Fox and the groundswell of anticipation that followed. Peters as a visual shorthand for people who have committed to watching the series without knowing who her brother is would be a bit of a reach, particularly as it would rely on the same people watching films that have been less successful than their MCU counterparts.

The audience wouldn’t click who it was meant to be without exposition.

They did that with the "She recast Pietro?" line anyway.

Talking about this with a friend yesterday, and I really think there’s a stronger version in there if you just cut out a few things:

Obviously Haywood (Hayward?) is number one offender. You could have the scene where he turns on his evil vision without much context and it would work fine. Maybe one with him talking to Monica at the start and maybe the one of him goading Wanda in the middle. The rest is just tedious “I am a bad man don’t like me” scenes that add nothing. 

Darcy the MCU exposition machine could also go. I assumed the would serve some role in the story, but now we know that her job was to shout things that happened in previous episodes of the Marvel show then go back to her home planet after hitting the very bad man we don’t like with a car I could do without her.

I’d probably cut Monica as well, or at the least all her scenes outside the Hex. This one is total “tune in next time on the Marvel show when this slightly dull character teams up with the skrulls! Remember the skrulls? Well they’re back, in pog form”. 

Cut most of the CGI Vision off, maybe have them fly up, hit each other into the library and straight into the conversation. 

Jimmy can stay, though I’d cut him down to a brief bit per episode and start earlier rather than having the episode 4 info dump. 

Deepfake someone over Evan Peters and bam, you’ve got a tighter show that’s squarely focused on Wanda.

On 15/03/2021 at 11:22, Glasgowchivas said:

Bettany, in full get-up, but with his ears untouched, so they can be CGI-'d out will never not be hilarious. Makes Olsen's acting all the more impressive too when you see what she was working with!

Ah, I wondered how much he managed to hear when in costume!