WandaVision - 15 January 2021

Yeah, strange show - had everything there to make a masterpiece and just fails to put it together. I don't know if it's overproduction or investor interference but it felt really cobbled together in places and structurally a bit of a mess.

Props to the visual design of some of the scenes though - stuff like when Wanda remembers the "start" of the show and seeing Vision again were amazing!

I thought this was fabulous up until the last two episodes. If you asked a six former how they'd end a Marvel series they'd have come up with this. Such a shame given the brilliantly imaginative meta narrative that drove those early episodes.

Yeah it was a shame it descended into essentially the same people with super powers punching the shit out of each other stuff that marred nearly all the early Marvel/DC etc films.

Other than that, I quite enjoyed it.

The fight was just the set dressing. 

Spoiler

Vision vs Vision was resolved with philosophy and Wanda vs Agatha was resolved by turning Agatha's trap against herself. 

There was more to it than Super Punch Up.

On 19/03/2021 at 08:24, Sidewaysbob said:

What was messy about it? 

There was a number of scenes that just didn't land, especially as the show got more "modern". One that really sticks out is where the truck vision is riding in kept getting stopped - it could have really worked and have been funny but in the end it just felt so lackluster that it actually just irritated me. The overall story was pretty meh as well, with White-Vision just not having any real impact into the story.

There was just so much opportunity here it was rarely fully achieved. Wanda's flashbacks were amazing and I loved the subtlety of the earlier episodes - but otherwise it was mostly ok.

Also just after having a read, for comparison each episode cost twice as much as Being John Malkovich. There's a lot they could have done.

The flying round each other was weird though. Wanda's guise was that she didn't want her powers and she would let Agatha have them.

Agatha wanted to be hit my the hexes,  so I dunno why she was whizzing around so much, almost trying to dodge them.

I guess it was windy.

1 hour ago, Delargey said:

The flying round each other was weird though. Wanda's guise was that she didn't want her powers and she would let Agatha have them.

Agatha wanted to be hit my the hexes,  so I dunno why she was whizzing around so much, almost trying to dodge them.

I guess it was windy.

That was really odd as well, a really overly elaborate plan to trap Wanda and render her powerless - when really she just wanted her to attack; the literal opposite.

Something must have gone on during production, there's a whole load of shizzle that doesn't gel.

2 hours ago, Retroid said:

There was a number of scenes that just didn't land, especially as the show got more "modern". One that really sticks out is where the truck vision is riding in kept getting stopped - it could have really worked and have been funny but in the end it just felt so lackluster that it actually just irritated me.

Wanda was trying to stop vision getting back and confronting her. It gave Darcy time to fill him in on the detail he didn't remember about his death. And bring him up to speed on what was happening outside the hex.  

How would you have done that?

Sure, she could have just said. "Wanda destroyed the stone in your head, Thanos used the time stone to bring you back, then ripped the stone out of your head and you died again"

Then he jumped up and flew back... Confront Wanda told her to get a grip, release all the people and stop this silly charade. You could have the whole thing sorted out in say 5 mins. 

See also, the eagles flying Frodo to mount doom and letting him drop it into the  fiery pits 10 minutes later.

1 hour ago, Retroid said:

That was really odd as well, a really overly elaborate plan to trap Wanda and render her powerless - when really she just wanted her to attack; the literal opposite.

Something must have gone on during production, there's a whole load of shizzle that doesn't gel.

Agatha's plan made sense to me, she wasn't a power vampire per se,  she didn't know what Wanda was when she got caught in her hex, first she tried to snap Wanda out of it by making things go wrong, then she got impatient and trapped her to find out how Wanda was using mad magic skills.

It wasn't until she realised how Wanda was the scarlett Witch (and how dangerous that power was for Wanda to wield) that she wanted to take it.

I don't doubt that Agatha wanted the power for her own nefarious means but she seemed genuinely concerned that Wanda would fuck up the world with them.

The circling "fight" made little sense though.

12 hours ago, Don Wiskerando said:

The fight was just the set dressing. 

Hide contents

Vision vs Vision was resolved with philosophy and Wanda vs Agatha was resolved by turning Agatha's trap against herself. 

There was more to it than Super Punch Up.

The resolution with vision would have been more interesting if they’d just talked immediately instead of fruitlessly hitting each other for ten minutes. There’s nothing more boring than the old Marvel “the good guy has to fight the guy who is him but a different colour”.

4 hours ago, Broker said:

. There’s nothing more boring than the old Marvel “the good guy has to fight the guy who is him but a different colour”.

In the old Marvel that wasn't possible though, only from Marvel Champion Edition onwards.

10 hours ago, Retroid said:

Apparently pressures caused by the pandemic changed the finale quite a lot, e.g.

“We built and rebuilt so many different versions of how [Monica] would function in the finale,” Shakman said. “She had in some versions a much bigger role to play in the larger fight that was happening.”

One of those versions, in which Monica had a whole storyline with Ralph, Darcy, and Wanda’s kids, was even shot before it was ultimately cut due to unfinished VFX.

https://www.slashfilm.com/wandavision-finale-matt-shakman-cut-storylines/

Some fans have been overstating the series' weirdness and experimentality; in reply, people have been bringing them back down to Earth by pointing out that overall WandaVision is still very safe compared to what other SF&F TV has done (e.g. Legion).

e.g. this Tumblr post by @spectroscopes:

People are enjoying WandaVision and that’s cool but seeing it described unironically as “weird” and groundbreaking, an experiment which could not have been greenlit in any previous era of television or filmmaking, is profoundly depressing. Some of you have never watched anything but MCU movies and it shows.

I have not been able to stop thinking about this thread all day.

aVkpUCB.png

The pitch meetings were like, “you know the Lotus Eater episode which is a staple of sci-fi storytelling, for example Buffy the Vampire Slayer’s ‘Normal Again’ and Smallville’s ‘Labyrinth’, as well as forming the basis for movies such as The Truman Show and The Matrix? What if that, but it’s a whole series and we combine it with a series of sitcom pastiches which is also a television staple. Also, there’s superheroes. And because we’ve successfully monopolised entertainment to the point where it’s almost impossible to consume any mainstream media which doesn’t have our fingerprints on it and this is very slightly different from our typical formula people will call it genius avant-garde television storytelling the likes of which have never been seen before.”

I thought Abigail Nussbaum posted a good response to that, pointing out that there were certain areas where the series did unusual things: 

https://abigailnussbaum.tumblr.com/post/646524137187278848/spectroscopes-spectroscopes-spectroscopes

I’m of two minds about this. On the one hand, yes, the praise for WandaVision’s weirdness has been completely overblown (I actually saw people call it Lynchian. Lynchian). And I guess it’s also true that Marvel is such a juggernaut right now that a lot of pop culture feels like “Marvel does X” where X is pretty watered down and imitative of better, more original work. (Though I also find this criticism a bit overblown and snobbish; I’m sure there are young people or extreme normies for whom WandaVision was their first introduction to a “Normal Again” type story, but I don’t think they’re representative of the culture as a whole.)

On the other hand, let’s not pretend that this wasn’t a bold idea, OK? Sure, a lot of shows have a “Normal Again” episode, but how many shows are “Normal Again” from the outset and almost all the way through? I thought Legends of Tomorrow did “we’re stuck in a TV show” a lot better than WandaVision, but they did it for the first two acts of a single 42-minute episode, not for six episodes out of nine. A show whose entire conceit is these two tropes (taken together, no less) is a fairly original concept, and though I thought WandaVision’s execution of it left a lot to be desired, I still think it’s impressive that Marvel chose to go in this direction. (And yeah, I know WandaVision wasn’t meant to be the inaugural Disney+ MCU show, much less our first visit to the MCU in nearly a year and a half, but that is still what happened, and it makes the show seem all the more like a swing for the fences.)

I think Ezra Klein (who is being a lot less hyperbolic than this post ascribes to him) captures it pretty well. One of Marvel’s strengths is that, having very effectively established its world and characters, they’re open to pushing the envelope a little on what the superhero story can look like, and what stories it can tell. (Which, to be clear, has to do with a willingness to mine their source material more broadly than just the latest crossover event; everyone identified House of M as an obvious inspiration for WandaVision, but it also draws a lot from Tom King’s Vision run, which is similarly meditative and focused on grief and the idea of sublimating it in a supposedly normal suburban existence.) Compare that to the DCEU, which has done a little work to change the emotional and storytelling palette of its movies (Shazam!, Birds of Prey), but is still overwhelmingly telling smash-things-with-other-things-to-defeat-the-bad-guy stories.

Her own criticisms of the series are different: http://wrongquestions.blogspot.com/2021/03/americas-sweetheart-thoughts-on.html

• 1 month later...