Microsoft acquires Bethesda, id, Arkane MEGATON

33 minutes ago, Flanders said:

I really can’t see these being available on any other console. They automatically become the biggest franchises in the Microsoft stable.

There’s a real possibility that both could be well past their heyday - Fallout 4 looked like a really dated game on release and that was five years ago - but they’re both still hugely lucrative for their next iterations at minimum.

If I can only buy the next Elder Scrolls on Xbox (and it isn't another Fallout 4) they've sold me a Series X.  It'll be timed at the very least, I'd imagine. The only downer is not seeing a potential VR version down the line as Skyrim worked really well.

2 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

That's a bit of an unusual response, am I missing some history here with him and Zenimax?

iirc They tried to sue him after he went to work at Occulus.

41 minutes ago, Gabe said:

You could just sub to Game Pass and play via Xcloud and not buy a console, no?

These are the sorts of games I replay every few years, so I'd like to own them. Also unless xCloud works on a Playstation I don't really have the kit to do that. (It very well could already work on a Playstation, I really don't know).

It's OK. I'm slowly coming to terms with the very minor annoyance of having to find room for another box under the TV. But I'm not buying extra controllers! Or a fancy docking station! You have to draw the line somewhere.

2 minutes ago, Siri said:

I'm sure someone's already said it, but that's a hell of a way to get the fallout franchise back into the hands of Obsidian and Brian Fargo!

Great observation!  Talent always wins, or something.

2 minutes ago, David Kenny said:

But I'm not buying extra controllers! Or a fancy docking station! You have to draw the line somewhere

You won't need a docking/charging station as Xbox controllers do not need charging every 3 or 4 hours..

2 hours ago, Gabe said:

The news doesn't seem to be going down all that well on Era, from my brief skim read (51 page thread already :lol:)

They're very anti-Microsoft and pro-Sony so what do you expect!

I'm buying a PS5 because the first party output is leagues ahead of MS, and everything else is multiformat. MS are doing everything else right, but need that first party lineup.

Getting it by making a load of previously multiplatform developers exclusive isn't the solution to that problem which is in the best interests of the consumer, but it certainly solves it. It will sell a lot of xboxes.

Less platforms is good for developers no? Focus on making a great game for the system you’re working on, wringing out the best from a consoles architecture, rather than spreading your resources and time to develop for other systems. Works for Sony and Nintendo exclusives for the most part.

1 minute ago, womblingfree said:

Less platforms is good for developers no? Focus on making a great game for the system you’re working on, wringing out the best from a consoles architecture, rather than spreading your resources and time to develop for other systems. Works for Sony and Nintendo exclusives for the most part.

Thats true. But MS are obsessed with getting their output running on their whole stack. They'll be asking developers for code to run on the one s. all the way to the series X. I suspect that will be more demanding than just making a PS5 exclusive.

I was sooo close to buying both X and PS5 at launch, if I can get a preorder tomorrow, I think they've won me over.

Big move this and clever business. I wonder if this is a response to WB deciding not to sell or if it’s been bubbling a while.

Either way they have just locked in some platform selling IP with this move. :slowclap:

Interesting that Fallout 4 was just announced on the PS+ collection, and Deathloop is timed exclusive on the PS5. The Sony/Arkane link has always been strong, I was half expecting an acquisition there before this came up.

Will be watching this closely as the new Elder Scrolls as a platform exclusive might move me from a Series S to a Series X.

18 minutes ago, Siri said:

I'm sure someone's already said it, but that's a hell of a way to get the fallout franchise back into the hands of Obsidian and Brian Fargo!

I don’t think they’ll want it. Like someone taking over Snyder’s mangled versions of the DC characters, the damage is already done, with fallout 3 and 4 destroying a lot of the series’ lore and setting. 

15 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Konami is trending on Twitter because people want Sony to buy them. That has to be the most wanted Konami has felt in years. :( 

It’s an absolute travesty all that IP left on the table. Especially Solid Snake. Bethesda should buy Konami now they have £8 billion knocking about.

1 minute ago, womblingfree said:

So hang on, are MS going to dump all Bethesda’s games onto Gamespass tomorrow, forever? :lol:

I suspect to coincide with the launch of the next gen S and X.  Certainly some of them anyways if not the whole lot.

13 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

So hang on, are MS going to dump all Bethesda’s games onto Gamespass tomorrow, forever? :lol:

Doom Eternal?? :omg: All the Dooms?? All the Fallouts?? :omg::omg:

The purchase won't complete until the second half of Microsoft's financial year 2021. Which happens to be January.

Certainly not tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

Bethesda are a brilliant choice as well. You are buying multiple games and genres and styles. Great value. 

Imagine buying ubisoft and getting the same game in so many different coats of paint. 

How dare you say that about Tom Clancy's Rainbow Ghost Dogs Assassin Division! 

14 minutes ago, Waggo said:

I suspect to coincide with the launch of the next gen S and X.  Certainly some of them anyways if not the whole lot.

Wet best be part of it :quote:

1 hour ago, layten said:

Oh shit!

Imagine it now, Carmack kicks the doors in a 343i and tells them to fuck the fuck out while he sorts their shit out.

Considering the last game he was really hands on with was Rage, I’ll pass on that offer. Unless you mean they just keep him to putting make-up on Craig duty.

ResetERA: "Games that'll move 10+ million on other consoles and make a ton of money."

You mean like Sony release their exclusives on non-Sony consoles, where they'd also make a ton of money?

• gospvg changed the title to Microsoft acquires Bethesda, id, Arkane MEGATON