Microsoft acquires Bethesda, id, Arkane MEGATON

I love having all the Bethesda, Arkane, and id Software stuff permanently available on game pass! That's a huge win. Also, unless people are perfectly happy with Sony charging 70 quid for 1st party PS5 and would love it if the standard price got closer to 100 quid before the upcoming generation is over, it's a good thing Microsoft is putting up a serious fight.

It's funny seeing some people argue that Elder Scrolls are too important to keep exclusive, surely they'll still put them on PS5 - while others argue that Bethesda games are nothing important, nobody would consider them in the same league of importance as the Sony first party output. Apparently it's difficult to decide which one it is!

The drama in here is absolutely nothing compared to out there btw. Either we're all very polite or just old.

How it will go for those wondering:

-Deathloop and GhostWire will honor their timed exclusivity

-you can bet they'll show up on game pass day one after that exclusivity window ends

-Microsoft's message about offering choice for everyone means Game Pass and XCloud. Not PS5.

-As a PS5 owner without interest in buying an Xbox, you're more than welcome as far as Microsoft is concerned to take up a one or two month trial of game pass instead and play Elder Scrolls 6 on your phone or whatever devices XCloud is on by then

-titles without confirmed platforms and/or release dates, will be Xbox exclusive - and game pass / Xcloud of course, and show up there for free on day one like all Microsoft first party titles

-Microsoft will not develop a PS5 native version of Elder Scrolls 6 for the same reason Sony isn't planning on releasing God of War on the Xbox. So yeah, all titles after Deathloop and GhostWire will be exclusive. Maybe the odd title on the Switch here and there. But BIG system sellers like Elder Scrolls will be used to sell their system/subscription

9 minutes ago, footle said:

The purchase won't complete until the second half of Microsoft's financial year 2021. Which happens to be January.

Certainly not tomorrow.

And I'd imagine there's a few years to go until ES VI. I think Fallout 3 left GP a little while back as it asked me if I owned the game when I finished downloading it.

43 minutes ago, Broker said:

I don’t think they’ll want it. Like someone taking over Snyder’s mangled versions of the DC characters, the damage is already done, with fallout 3 and 4 destroying a lot of the series’ lore and setting. 

Reboot Fallout with Obsidian and inXile and get Bethesda to make Wasteland 4. Everyone is happy. 

This doesn't of course change anything in the short term - in that Microsoft still doesn't have any *new* games, so if Game Pass didn't appeal before, I don't see why this news would change your mind right now. Down the line, sure.

Wow, that's a proper Earth shaker of an announcement. It really does show that Phil Spencer understands the industry in a way that Don Mattrick never did.

Word is that Sony have locked up a lot of third party exclusives, so I guess this is MS's response to that. I mean they've got the money to buy the chicken, so why keep paying for the eggs?

This is a very MS move though. Spend a lot of money in one go to shake things up.

There has been talk about Sony looking to buy Konami's franchises and that would be an interesting counter punch to this, but generally Sony have a tradition of working with and then purchasing individual studios, as they recently did with Insomniac, so I'd expect them to make more modest purchases throughout the gen.

It's certainly shaken things up though.

Apart from being a happy game pass subscriber, I'm mostly happy with this news because I absolutely LOVE Arkane's single player output. But with the way things were going, there was a very real possibility of Bethesda pulling the plug on their traditional efforts in the upcoming gen. Now, with Microsoft presumably wanting to compete with Sony's first party output and wanting further build their game pads library, there's a far bigger chance of Arkane being allowed to make a Dishonored 3 or a Prey 2.

Without the need to compromise for multi platform releases the studios should be free to take full advantage of the extra Oomph of the Series X as well, which could be interesting 2 or 3 years into this new generation.

5 minutes ago, layten said:

lol

Imagine trying to downplay the accomplishments of John Carmack.

065.gif.82581ce92492e4909d4fbf655798ec42.gif

Yeah... It reminds one that there are probably also very young people on this forum who simply have no idea. They love first person shooters, but play Call of Duty and have no idea.

42 minutes ago, Gabe said:

This doesn't of course change anything in the short term - in that Microsoft still doesn't have any *new* games, so if Game Pass didn't appeal before, I don't see why this news would change your mind right now. Down the line, sure.

Exactly - it means very little if you are buying one at launch, bar possibly having a few more games on GP that you've likely played. Basically, the big thing here is Elder Scrolls and Fallout - when we see either of those again isn't anytime soon, I'd wager. Great IPs to have when they are ready, mind.

23 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Yeah... It reminds one that there are probably also very young people on this forum who simply have no idea. They love first person shooters, but play Call of Duty and have no idea.

How young is very young? 

I'm 37 and feel like a young upstart compared to some people here. 

2 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Someone point me in the direction of the resetera thread. I need the salt for my dinner.

Be careful, there's enough to give an elephant a heart attack.

11 minutes ago, Harsin said:

I’m still bathing in the glow of Gerbik thinking I’m a young man about town listening to my beat combos and my TikToks.

:)

3 minutes ago, deerokus said:

How young is very young? 

I'm 37 and feel like a young upstart compared to some people here. 

Anything under 40! 

Carmack is a spectacularly talented technical genius, but he’s never really had much of a knack for actually designing games. If they pair him with good designers that’s great, I’d love to see him doing tech work on an Arkane game. But iD’s games when he was in charge were some of the most soulless experiences ever, like giant playable stress tests for your PC.

4 minutes ago, Broker said:

Carmack is a spectacularly talented technical genius, but he’s never really had much of a knack for actually designing games. If they pair him with good designers that’s great, I’d love to see him doing tech work on an Arkane game. But iD’s games when he was in charge were some of the most soulless experiences ever, like giant playable stress tests for your PC.

hes busy trying to solve general ai. There’s no concern he’s getting anywhere near games again.

• gospvg changed the title to Microsoft acquires Bethesda, id, Arkane MEGATON