Microsoft acquires Bethesda, id, Arkane MEGATON

46 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

And Xbox is not the only place you will find Elder Scrolls 6. Because, as you say, the point is game pass. Abd their aim is getting game pass everywhere. It's also on your PC, on your tablet, on your phone. Shit, if Sony would let them it would also be on your PS5. Microsoft didn't spend 7.5billion just to make games for PS5. They did it because they want people subscribing to game pass. And if you don't have an Xbox, no problem: a 1 month subscription gets you access to all Bethesda's games and much more on loads of devices besides Xbox. That's their game. So, unless Sony decides to allow a Game Pass app on PS5, I'm willing to bet PeteBrant's other bollock that ES6, Starfield, everything after GhostWire and Deathloop is exclusive to Game Pass.

I do think there is a possibility that they'll release their games on PS5. They'll just be 79 euros. And... hey, how coincidental, all free on Game Pass. If anything, they can really hammer home the value like this. As you mention, GP is everything to them, hardware is simply a serving platter now. Everything that'll push people to GP will be allowed.

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, bear said:

-I wonder will we see attempts made to consolidate their development efforts around their own game engines. It didn't work great for EA and Frostbite but could we see Gears 6 running on IDtech instead of UE? 

I think it’s extremely likely that they will make tech available across studios, that’s got to be one of the major hidden benefits of this deal. I doubt gears will be their first call though, their entire code base has been built on UE for over a decade and they’re hardly struggling technically, Gears bores me but it’s undeniably gorgeous. I think Halo would be a better candidate for IDTech, it’s open world, needs vehicle support and the current built looks like shit. 

That said, you have to assume that part of the reason they’re doing this is to own big name IP outside of their usual few franchises. If Halo, Gears and Forza haven’t attracted people by now, they’re unlikely to, do I think it would be a huge mistake to start putting any of their newly acquired studios on their existing IP. Whereas if they stuck the gears team or whoever on an elder scrolls spinoff to ride us over till VI I’d find that difficult to resist.

All this talk about sharing tech across studios and exploiting all these developer synergies sounds like a recipe for mass layoffs to me. How much did Disney cancel and shelf when it acquired Fox, Marvel and Disney again?

11 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

I do think there is a possibility that they'll release their games on PS5. They'll just be 79 euros. And... hey, how coincidental, all free on Game Pass. If anything, they can really hammer home the value like this. As you mention, GP is everything to them, hardware is simply a serving platter now. Everything that'll push people to GP will be allowed.

Of course this will be the plan, there will be smaller titles from these new devs that fill the GP roster only, but the big games will still get a PS5 release. Just like you say, 70 quid over on PS5 or for a fraction of that with GP.

That way they don't get the full force negativity associated with this move as they aren't blocking sales, but hey everyone can see the value proposition with GP so big sways to MS's eco system. Phil keeps that industry friendly persona that Nate was talking about but in actuality it's a stealth win for MS/GP.

12 minutes ago, footle said:

You have played TLOU2?

It's astonishingly ambitious, huge, and full of unique assets and mechanics. Despite being grimdark and miserable, it really sells the concept of spending an utterly ridiculous amount of money building a game.

It's certainly a lot more expansive and ambitious than Skyrim. Don't mistake "size of world" for "cost to build" or "ambition".

Rockstar is really working in its own genre, and its own budget space.

It’s a very pretty linear third person shooter. It has a lot of unique assets on its thin, set path, and clearly cost a lot, but is nothing compared to the size of an open world game built to a similar fidelity. It’s pretty much emblematic of the standard style of game for this generation, presented in either first or third person as games have become more and more expensive to produce. Despite Skyrim being nine years old it is far more expansive than TLOU, as it features a world that is in fact an expanse, not a cleverly designed corridor.

Creating a game like Skyrim at modern levels of fidelity would require a budget like GTA because that’s the level of fidelity people are expecting now, and so it would require an absolutely massive budget to create a sequel that lived up to the expectations people have, that wasn’t a basic, janky joke of a game like Fallout 4. I don’t see any ambition in TLOU aside from the ambition to be a pretty good TV show.

• Upvote 3
11 minutes ago, amc said:

Of course this will be the plan, there will be smaller titles from these new devs that fill the GP roster only, but the big games will still get a PS5 release. Just like you say, 70 quid over on PS5 or for a fraction of that with GP.

That way they don't get the full force negativity associated with this move as they aren't blocking sales, but hey everyone can see the value proposition with GP so big sways to MS's eco system. Phil keeps that industry friendly persona that Nate was talking about but in actuality it's a stealth win for MS/GP.

Or, you don't release them on PS5 and force anybody who wants to play them to subscribe to Game Pass.

I know which I'd pick to be best for business.

• Upvote 6
12 minutes ago, amc said:

That way they can't get the full force negativity associated with this move as they aren't blocking sales, but hey everyone can see the value proposition with GP so big sways to MS's eco system. Phil keeps that industry friendly persona that Nate was talking about but in actuality it's a stealth win for MS.

I am thinking this as well, although they may go down the timed exclusive to GP route, just to really ram home the point that if you dont want to pay £70 quid and wait 6 or even 12 months to play then GP is the place to be.

8 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Or, you don't release them on PS5 and force anybody who wants to play them to subscribe to Game Pass.

I know which I'd pick to be best for business.

Well that depends on how many people would buy an Xbox for Skyrim et al. MS will obviously make that decision when numbers for PS5 are known and how many people their analysts think would buy these games on PS5 vs how many it would bring to GP. 

I guess we'll see what they decide down the line.

4 minutes ago, amc said:

Well that depends on how many people would buy an Xbox for Skyrim et al. MS will obviously make that decision when numbers for PS5 are known and how many people their analysts think would buy these games vs how many would subscribe to GP. 

I guess we'll see what they decide down the line.

And Sony could release their exclusives on the Xbox right? To not do so is leaving millions in revenue on the table.

Except it isn't - they want you in their ecosystem, buying your games through them, and giving them a 30% cut.

Microsoft want the same thing, they want you in their ecosystem, giving them that sweet, sweet annually recurring revenue.

Microsoft haven't just spent 7.5 billion dollars to secure some game pass games people. To say otherwise is living in denial.

They aren't going to come and outright say it yet because why would they? That negative PR can be handled once the dust settles on the deal, they get their existing exclusivity contracts completed, and they're ready to launch their first game post-Sony exclusivity deals.

• Upvote 8

I would add that they've massively undermined the games hitting the PS5 with the exclusivity deals already now that those games are day-and-date on Game Pass day one on PC, although I guess that's not a factor for people who don't own a decent gaming PC.

But already for those games now it's a £70 PS5 purchase vs. a 'free' (part of subscription) game pass PC download.

I know I won't be buying them now I can get them free on PC.

4 minutes ago, Isaac said:

And Sony could release their exclusives on the Xbox right? To not do so is leaving millions in revenue on the table.

Except it isn't - they want you in their ecosystem, buying your games through them, and giving them a 30% cut.

Microsoft haven't just spent 7.5 billion dollars to secure some game pass games people. To say otherwise is living in denial.

They aren't going to come and outright say it yet because why would they? That negative PR can be handled once the dust settles on the deal, they get their existing exclusivity contracts completed, and they're ready to launch their first game post-Sony exclusivity deals.

As I said, no one knows, you can guess all day long, play analyst, hell it might even be your job but we don't know what their strategy is. I think comparing it to what Sony would/is doing is folly. MS is in new territory with its GP ecosystem.

I was speculating, so are you.

We'll see.

4 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Microsoft want the same thing, they want you in their ecosystem, giving them that sweet, sweet annually recurring revenue.

Agreed. There may, of course, be a way to play them on PS5 but actually being able to do so would likely depend on Sony doing the best thing by its customers and allowing a Microsoft Game Pass / xCloud app on to the PlayStation Store.

I cannot see Microsoft spending $7.5 billion in order to hand 30% of future revenues for something they own to a direct competitor, on that competitor's platform.

But let's agree to disagree - I'm with you in that time will tell.

• Upvote 3
1 minute ago, Rain Birds said:

Agreed. There may, of course, be a way to play them on PS5 but actually being able to do so would likely depend on Sony doing the best thing by its customers and allowing a Microsoft Game Pass / xCloud app on to the PlayStation Store.

I think you’ll find, that like EA Access, this would not deliver the value^ that PlayStation customers expect from their Sony console.

^ *cough*

• Upvote 4

The only thing I can’t see mentioned - will Deathloop now be on PC Gamepass on day one of PC release?

Pretty much the only nextgen game that’s looking properly good and it’s clearly a PC game, not a console one.

2 minutes ago, Rev said:

The only thing I can’t see mentioned - will Deathloop now be on PC Gamepass on day one of PC release?

Pretty much the only nextgen game that’s looking properly good and it’s clearly a PC game, not a console one.

I reckon that it'll be Steam+PS5, then releasing on Gamepass after the allotted time.

No-one has asked - will Microsoft actually be making money from Game Pass? Considering all its AAA, first party games are given away, having to pay third parties for games to be on GP, and now an extra 7.5bn for Bethesda games, can they really even break even with GP subs?

4 minutes ago, Wallace said:

I reckon that it'll be Steam+PS5, then releasing on Gamepass after the allotted time.

It would have been on the Bethesda launcher first, surely? And that is just a Microsoft platform now, so why not PC Gamepass?

It’s not even on steam to preorder yet, is it?

4 minutes ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

No-one has asked - will Microsoft actually be making money from Game Pass? Considering all its AAA, first party games are given away, having to pay third parties for games to be on GP, and now an extra 7.5bn for Bethesda games, can they really even break even with GP subs?

Are they making money from hardware or services? This coming gen is a weird doubling down on services if they don't generate money. 

7 minutes ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

game pass has grown 50% since april, its gone from 10 mil, to 15 mil, in literally, 5 months! 

24 minutes ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

This is grossly simplified due to all the offers available, but multiply £11 by 15 million. That's theoretically how much it would make them per month, right now, if the new consoles didn't pick up a single new subscriber.

Or to put it another way; it could pay off the Bethesda deal on its own, right now, in less than four years. Of course they're going to keep spending that money, but you've got to assume that subs list is only going to get bigger and bigger this gen.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

iRtrBOr.jpg

• Upvote 4
26 minutes ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

There are about 150 million console sales in a generation. Assuming Microsoft can get half, and all those pay for Ultimate then they’d be making a bit over a billion a month, so they’d be able to pay for Bethesda every 6 months towards the end of the generation. So it’s probably fine.

But that’s never been the point anyway. If every kid grows up with a Windows PC for Gamepass, then it’ll be Windows (or at least Microsoft) they want to use in the corporate environment in 25 years. If that works, then they don’t ever need to make a profit on Gamepass. 

Microsoft had a 2-3 year period where they were massively threatened by Apple and Google, simultaneously. That was previously unthinkable, but it made Microsoft get their shit together. Windows 10, Gamepass, higher quality Surface machines and such are all to put that that phase behind them and ensure it doesn’t happen again.

As an overall company they don’t give a single shit about Sony.

• Upvote 3
2 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Again, I don't see how this changes the status quo. People interested in PS5 will get to keep buying those same games, people not already invested in Game Pass are probably not - in any great number - switch to either a new console or care enough to get a Game Pass sub and then play via Xcloud.

Unless Sony allow a Game Pass app then I don't see much business sense in getting those games on there, because whilst MS don't care how you play (and I do think a TV app would make sense down the line), they *do* still want you to sub to Game Pass. Selling games normally on PS5 does nothing to help in that regard, because I also don't think there are a raft of people who would have a PS5, not currently care for Xbox/Game Pass but jump in just because of Elder Scrolls or Doom or whatever.

• Upvote 2
4 hours ago, Gabe said:

Unless Sony allow a Game Pass app then I don't see much business sense in getting those games on there, because whilst MS don't care how you play (and I do think a TV app would make sense down the line), they *do* still want you to sub to Game Pass. Selling games normally on PS5 does nothing to help in that regard

Exactly what I'm thinking. Their logic is probably that you don't need to buy an Xbox if you don't want to. Stick to your PS5 and take out a game pass sub to play it on your phone or whatever. Putting it out on PS5 and asking 70 quid could generate significantly less revenue compared to how many new subscribers they get if they *don't* put out a PS5 version. 

• Upvote 2
  • gospvg changed the title to Microsoft acquires Bethesda, id, Arkane MEGATON