Microsoft acquires Bethesda, id, Arkane MEGATON

The Mighty Ash

Just now, Stanley said:

So “a long time” this year, next year, two years, this generation?

Buying Bethesda is really paying off :lol:

To be fair, they have two Bethesda games coming out exclusively on PS5 pretty soonish. No leaving money on the table there! Get dat PlayStation $$$$

That thread is some classic foruming. I like how people keep asking things about how Xbox players should feel about PlayStation exclusives and he just ignores them. The “god resetera is awful” takes in here are also really funny, I made it through five pages and nobody else but that one guy is bothered. If one person with a crazy opinion obstinately arguing it is evidence that the whole forum is stupid I hardly think people who post here are in a position to criticise.

As for the news, I don’t see why it’s surprising really. And it’s a smart play, it’s definitely one of the reasons I now own an Xbox, but that also means I’m playing most of my games on it now.

9 minutes ago, memories said:

Didn't The Outer World's tick the "Fallout in space with lasers" box for folk?

To a degree. It doesn't have the open world freeform daftness of Fallout. It has the characters and dialogue and whatnot that's very similar.

1 hour ago, memories said:

Maybe - I suspect its story/writing is too good and the actual RPG mechanics implented too well, to be considered somewhat similar to a Bethesda Fallout.

I've never played Mass Effect so can't compare.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Maybe - I suspect its story/writing is too good and the actual RPG mechanics implented too well, to be considered somewhat similar to a Bethesda Fallout.

:lol:

1 hour ago, memories said:

The Outer Worlds was actually more like Fallout spread out over six small semi-open worlds rather than one big one. 

24 minutes ago, Rayn said:

The Outer Worlds was actually more like Fallout spread out over six small semi-open worlds rather than one big one. 

Christ that has reminded me of all the bloody loading times when going anywhere :(.

1 minute ago, memories said:

Christ that has reminded me of all the bloody loading times when going anywhere :(.

I presume those are pretty non-existent on the Series consoles.

1 minute ago, JPL said:

I presume those are pretty non-existent on the Series consoles.

Yep. Makes the fast travel actually really hella fast. Probably cuts the playtime for Series players in half tbh

4 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I really should try Outer Worlds but there seems to be a fair amount of negativity towards it. 

You either like it or you don't, if that helps :)

I really liked it, finished it and then went back for moar once the two expansions were out. On Series it's a much more approachable and friendly game, thanks to the loading times being a few seconds instead of ten minutes each.

13 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I really should try Outer Worlds but there seems to be a fair amount of negativity towards it. 

It's pretty much a Obsidian rpg. If you liked New Vegas you should like The Other Worlds. While not as open and interesting as New Vegas it certainly has a lot of well written quests and a few interesting characters. 

The biggest problem I had with outer worlds is the lack of budget oozing out of every pore. Lots of samey environments and a general lack of polish. The writing and characterisation has ambitions the scope of the game can't match. 

Oh and the useless consumables cluttering the inventory. 

Hopefully a thing of the past now Obsidian are no longer a struggling independent studio that hadn't had a big hit in a while. 

26 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I was enjoying it, and I didn't really get on with Fallout. Less complicated, Fallout combat never sat right with me, but still got the good dialogue. Of course, then Mass Effect came along out-Mass-Effecting it. I'm sure I'll go back to it. 

That Era thread was very low on drama from the 10 or so pages I read, even the person whose post @layten highlighted made some reasonable posts before being threadbanned (for 'derailing' - even though the post that is marked as such wasn't a derail. Era's modding is so weird.)

Re: The Outer Worlds, I was pretty disappointed with it and any comparison to Mass Effect (in terms of structure) doesn't really hold up at all, I don't think. It was very much Fallout-lite in every way (look, mechanics, weapons & skills, lack of refinement, story losing steam well before the end). It was genuinely funny in places though.

1 minute ago, Gabe said:

That Era thread was very low on drama from the 10 or so pages I read, even the person whose post @layten highlighted made some reasonable posts before being threadbanned (for 'derailing' - even though the post that is marked as such wasn't a derail. Era's modding is so weird.)

I couldn't find the previous few versions of that thread which had the real crazyness. :( At least that one had a few of the entitled PS only gamers indignant that a game might not appear on their preferred platform.