Microsoft acquires Bethesda, id, Arkane MEGATON

The Mighty Ash

8 minutes ago, JPL said:

Also, it’s pretty obvious MS are playing the long game here. Now they have those exclusives, they’re hoping that people will either migrate or buy an Xbox. Launching the games on PlayStation wouldn’t help with that.

Exactly. Release a Bethesda game on PlayStation and you may get a $70 purchase (minus Sony's cut of course). Release it only on Gamepass and you may get a new subscriber. One is much more valuable than the other. It's all about recurring revenue these days.

Phil Spencer has literally already said they will just fulfill contractual agreements or provide support for legacy software on platforms other than Gamepass. I don't really know why this is still up for discussion. 

Don't know why you're all talking about £70. Deathloop is £60 for a start.

But 

8 minutes ago, Majora said:

Phil Spencer has literally already said they will just fulfill contractual agreements or provide support for legacy software on platforms other than Gamepass. I don't really know why this is still up for discussion. 

this seems about right:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-03-11-phil-spencer-says-future-bethesda-games-will-be-exclusive-to-platforms-where-game-pass-exists

"Obviously I can't sit here and say every Bethesda game is [an Xbox] exclusive, because we know that's not true," he explained. "There's contractual obligations that we're going to see through. We have games that exist on other platforms and we're going to go and support those games on the platforms they're on. There's communities of players - we love those communities and will continue to invest in them - and even in the future there might be...either contractual things or legacy on different platforms that we'll go do."

"But if you're an Xbox customer," Spencer continued, "the thing I want you to know is this is about delivering great exclusive games for you that ship on platforms where Game Pass exists. And that's our goal, that's why we're doing this, that's the root of this partnership that we're building - and the creative capability we'll be able to bring to market for Xbox customers is going to be the best it's ever been for Xbox after we're done here."

None of these future games are coming outside of Xbox platforms (and PC, Cloud etc.)

Yup the only way new Bethesda games (outside of legacy obligations) will be on PlayStation going forward, is if Gamepass ends up on PlayStation.  Anybody arguing otherwise is simply in denial.

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

See, that’s a stage I feel like they at least have to go through to hammer home the value for money. I guess the difference is that I am not so sure that the pending multiplatform releases will be enough to do that, and there could be games where there’s a strategic benefit to just getting them out there widely.

This doesn't make much sense. If I have a PS5 and can get the same games (albeit for a price), that doesn't suddenly make me think I should buy an Xbox because they will get stuff for the price of the monthly GP sub - it just means I might wait until it's cheaper in PS5. People don't go out and buy PCs instead of PS5s because games are cheaper there, after all. 

Now if the only way to play games I like is to get into the MS ecosystem, then I will need to do that, period. And then MS would hope I stick around and fully embrace their model.

I don't think some halfway house option of selling in PS5 does a great deal to achieve that latter scenario at the scale they are hoping for. 

1 hour ago, Isaac said:

Yup but the deal is explicitly for console exclusivity, whereas MS will be publishing it on PC.

Which means that it could come to PC gamepass day one, unless there's something explicitly preventing it from coming via the MS store on PC.

We won't know until either E3 or it releases I guess.

That would be the ideal scenario for me but would be a lot of sales they are ignoring, I'd happily pay £50 for it on PC.

17 minutes ago, Gabe said:

This doesn't make much sense. If I have a PS5 and can get the same games (albeit for a price), that doesn't suddenly make me think I should buy an Xbox because they will get stuff for the price of the monthly GP sub - it just means I might wait until it's cheaper in PS5. People don't go out and buy PCs instead of PS5s because games are cheaper there, after all. 

Pretty much how I feel and why I probably won’t buy Deathloop until it’s very cheap, hopefully around GP launch so I can join that hype train :D.

It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries The Emperor has sat immobile on the Golden Throne of Earth. He is the Master of Mankind by the will of the gods, and master of a million worlds by the might of his inexhaustible armies. He is a rotting carcass writhing invisibly with power from the Dark Age of Technology. He is the Carrion Lord of the Imperium for whom a thousand souls are sacrificed every day, so that he may never truly die.

Yet even in his deathless state, the Emperor continues his eternal vigilance. Mighty battlefleets cross the daemon-infested miasma of the Warp, the only route between distant stars, their way lit by the Astronomican, the psychic manifestation of the Emperor's will. Vast armies give battle in his name on uncounted worlds. Greatest amongst his soldiers are the Adeptus Astartes, the Space Marines, bio-engineered super-warriors. Their comrades in arms are legion: the Imperial Guard and countless planetary defence forces, the ever vigilant Inquisition and the tech-priests of the Adeptus Mechanicus to name only a few. But for all their multitudes, they are barely enough to hold off the ever-present threat from aliens, heretics, mutants - and worse.

To be a man in such times is to be one amongst untold billions. It is to live in the cruelest and most bloody regime imaginable. These are the tales of those times. Forget the power of technology and science, for so much has been forgotten, never to be re-learned. Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for in the grim dark future there is only war. There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods.

Also what remains of Alex W, more machine than man after so may millenia, hasn't yet discounted that a Betheda game may come out on the forbidden heretic PlayStation 8000.

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

See, that’s a stage I feel like they at least have to go through to hammer home the value for money. I guess the difference is that I am not so sure that the pending multiplatform releases will be enough to do that, and there could be games where there’s a strategic benefit to just getting them out there widely.

I could see that with multiplayer games maybe? I just don’t see what the benefit would be for single player games like most Bethesda ones. 

I absolutely can see the logic in them releasing the next Fallout on PS5 at £70 as a good advert for gamepass. That’s not an insane idea at all and many people in the industry were predicting it.

But they can get that with third party stuff. If the next Battlefield is day one on gamepass and 60 quid on PS5 that’s that box absolutely ticked. 

It’s like I stepped on a land mine. Wasn’t expecting such a “ner ner ner suck it up PlayStation fanboy” response.

I just enjoy the old school style that Bethesda bring , it’s retrofreshing* and I’d like to play the future stuff on on a PlayStation where the rest of my games are.

Why don’t I just buy an Xbox? Well the idea of owning two consoles is something I can’t get my head around. Ive never done it. I dont like the idea of it. It’s like having Netflix and Amazon prime. It’s got a whiff of greedy westerner about it. One will do thanks.

That being said Flight Simulator if done right might push me to own both consoles, but it’ll have to pass a high threshold of “I want that”

I like a lot of what Microsoft has done but I’m Anti massive buy outs, it’s the kinda thing Facebook does . we’ll have to see if the shareholders agree in the future. Phill must have quite a target to hit.

5 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

I just enjoy the old school style that Bethesda bring , it’s retrofreshing* and I’d like to play the future stuff on on a PlayStation where the rest of my games are.

It’s just not going to happen though, so it’s Xbox/PC or nothing.

And who doesn’t have Netflix and Prime? I’ve even got Disney+ as well.

1 minute ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I absolutely can see the logic in them releasing the next Fallout on PS5 at £70 as a good advert for gamepass.

How though? It's not as if you'd go into Game or log in to the PlayStation store and see the game alongside an advert saying "Hey, this is free with Game Pass!" *

Will reviews mention it? Will streamers? Perhaps, but will that drive people to buy into it? 

What if it is a multiplayer game? You most likely to stay with your existing friends, so the fact something is free on Game Pass is, again, of little import and might fracture your group.

Back to my original point, the best way to drive people to the ecosystem (when they are already invested in another ecosystem) is by saying you can only get *game X* here.

(* Not free of course, but you know what I mean.) 

6 minutes ago, JPL said:

It’s just not going to happen though, so it’s Xbox/PC or nothing.

Or phone, tablet, anything with a compatible browser or Microsoft eventually decide / are allowed to put an app on. Sony could easily spruce up the PS5 web browser to ensure easy access to Xbox Game Pass for their fans.

2 hours ago, Harrisown said:

It’s like I stepped on a land mine. Wasn’t expecting such a “ner ner ner suck it up PlayStation fanboy” response.

Why don’t I just buy an Xbox? Well the idea of owning two consoles is something I can’t get my head around. Ive never done it. I dont like the idea of it. It’s like having Netflix and Amazon prime. It’s got a whiff of greedy westerner about it. One will do thanks.

That being said Flight Simulator if done right might push me to own both consoles, but it’ll have to pass a high threshold of “I want that”

I like a lot of what Microsoft has done but I’m Anti massive buy outs, it’s the kinda thing Facebook does . we’ll have to see if the shareholders agree in the future. Phill must have quite a target to hit.

I hear that. When I’ve had all the consoles in the past I feel like a right spoilt brat having it all under the tv, not to mention the obligation of feeling like I need to use them each a certain amount to justify the cost. On the plus side with gamepass, you should be able to grab an Xbox in a few years and just whiz through the games you missed for the cost of a monthly sub. 

3 minutes ago, Gabe said:

How though? It's not as if you'd go into Game or log in to the PlayStation store and see the game alongside an advert saying "Hey, this is free with Game Pass!" *

Will reviews mention it? Will streamers? Perhaps, but will that drive people to buy into it? 

What if it is a multiplayer game? You most likely to stay with your existing friends, so the fact something is free on Game Pass is, again, of little import and might fracture your group.

Back to my original point, the best way to drive people to the ecosystem (when they are already invested in another ecosystem) is by saying you can only get *game X* here.

(* Not free of course, but you know what I mean.) 

It would make great business sense for Netflix to release their original programming on iTunes, Amazon and disc upon release. Free with Netflix or paid for elsewhere! ;)

If you want to play exclusives to a certain console then buy that console. 

I dont see why there is any discussion on this? Bethedsa and its properties are owned by Microsoft. If you dont have the means to play them then then discussion is over. Its been this way since the dawn of video games. 

12 minutes ago, Rain Birds said:

Or phone, tablet, anything with a compatible browser or Microsoft eventually decide / are allowed to put an app on. Sony could easily spruce up the PS5 web browser to ensure easy access to Xbox Game Pass for their fans.

Yeah, sorry. I should have said Cloud as well.

18 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Well I’m sure you’ll see soon enough as MS are definitely perusing it as a strategy.

Look at Outriders as a recent example, I’ve no interest in that game but was very aware that gamepass subscribers were getting it for free and Playstation owners would need to pay £60 if they wanted to play it. Imagine that on a high profile game like Battlefield. It’s going to happen more and more and it’s such a clever way to get around third party publishers reluctance to agree to Xbox exclusivity deals.

6 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Well I’m sure you’ll see soon enough as MS are definitely perusing it as a strategy.

Look at Outriders as a recent example, I’ve no interest in that game but was very aware that gamepass subscribers were getting it for free and I’d need to pay £60 if I wanted to play it. Imagine that on a high profile game like Battlefield. It’s going to happen more and more and it’s such a clever way to get around third party publishers reluctance to agree to Xbox exclusivity deals.

That’s a good tactic for third party stuff that is going elsewhere whether you like it or not, less so when you own the developer. It would have taken a fuck of a lot less than $7.5B to secure every Bethesda game for the next 25 years as day one, permanent Game Pass titles.

17 minutes ago, Rain Birds said:

No one's getting Game Pass to stream games on a phone or tablet, it's just a nice value add. A well performing PC or browser app is a different matter though.

1 minute ago, Rain Birds said:

That’s a good tactic for third party stuff, less so when you own the developer. It would have taken a fuck of a lot less than $7.5B to secure every Bethesda game for the next 25 years as day one, permanent Game Pass titles.

Yeah we’re on the same page here. It‘s a good strategy, they can just achieve it with third party. 

Ff7 remake is exclusive to PlayStation for no reason other than money hatting. I've yet to see the confusion and grousing about that on the same scale. 

Sony have been buying third party exclusives (usually timed, but not always) the whole last gen.

5 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Look at Outriders as a recent example, I’ve no interest in that game but was very aware that gamepass subscribers were getting it for free and Playstation owners would need to pay £60 if they wanted to play it. Imagine that on a high profile game like Battlefield. It’s going to happen more and more and it’s such a clever way to get around third party publishers reluctance to agree to Xbox exclusivity deals.

Yes, but as mentioned above, those aren't first-party games. Why do MS need to do anything with first-party stuff when third-parties can deliver that message?

I mean for first-party stuff I can almost see that releasing on other platforms would devalue Game Pass "If I can get it elsewhere, why do I need Game Pass?"

I don't think price comparisons come into things when it comes to platforms people play, to the extent that it would make them buy into something new. I think in most cases it always comes down to the games available. 

6 minutes ago, Giddas said:

No one's getting Game Pass to stream games on a phone or tablet, it's just a nice value add. A well performing PC or browser app is a different matter though.

I wouldn’t be so sure, because people watch films on their fucking telephones and that didn’t really seem to be on the agenda until 15 years ago. 

The point is that it’s available. If you want to play Elder Scrolls VI but are allergic to Xbox / have pledged undying loyalty to Japanese mega-corp Sony, chances are you’ve got something in the house that will let you and that list is probably going to get significantly longer in time. 

5 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Yes, but as mentioned above, those aren't first-party games. Why do MS need to do anything with first-party stuff when third-parties can deliver that message?

I mean for first-party stuff I can almost see that releasing on other platforms would devalue Game Pass "If I can get it elsewhere, why do I need Game Pass?"

I don't think price comparisons come into things when it comes to platforms people play, to the extent that it would make them buy into something new. I think in most cases it always comes down to the games available. 

Yeah I agree. I’m just saying I can see why people initially thought otherwise.

It’s literally a strategy they‘re already perusing and Spencer was being super vague before the deal was complete don’t forget. 

4 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Ff7 remake is exclusive to PlayStation for no reason other than money hatting. I've yet to see the confusion and grousing about that on the same scale. 

Sony have been buying third party exclusives (usually timed, but not always) the whole last gen.

If buying timed exclusivity is money hatting then what is buying up an entire company to prevent people playing games on their platform of choice? :o

Weird the hoops people jump through to go “these exclusives are fine but not these exclusives!”

8 minutes ago, deerokus said:

We all had Playstations so it didn't make any difference.