No More Jockeys

• 3 weeks later...

Important questions answered in the pre-game press conference

Spoiler

Some beautiful play in this match. Near-death experiences, immortalised in song, job walking. Top class.

• 2 weeks later...

A new episode!

And an interview!

When did you first start playing the game?

Mark Watson: It was late 2002, so almost 19 years ago now.

Tim Key: Me and Mark were writing a show and I asked him how many famous people he could name. He said: "I dunno, probably about 500, maybe 1,000." I said I could probably do 5,000. And he said: "Go on then."

MW: Yeah, we were a bit drunk to be fair. It was just going through old football teams and cricket teams.

TK: Eventually Mark said: "OK, no more footballers."

MW: At some point Key passed the baton back to me and that was the germ of it.

Alex Horne: I didn't know that story. Did you get the 5,000?

MW: No, I think we realised there was the potential for an even more entertaining game than just naming 5,000 people.

AH: You know that film Tag with Ed Helms? It's about these American friends who have this ongoing game of Tag. The movie's not brilliant but it's a really nice true story. They played since they were kids and carried on till they were grown-ups. I do like the idea that we'll carry this on into our sixties.

MW: Yeah, I hope so.

:wub:

Seems to make sense to put this here - Mark Watson is doing his stand-up show, which was postponed from last year due to the 'rona, on Zoom. I 'went' to it on Friday and it was great fun. A little bit unstructured but I think he's a naturally funny bloke and he had some great interaction with the crowd of 150, so it was really entertaining.

Also, he does it from the same room that he plays Jockeys in so it feels like a bit like you're IN AN EPISODE, which was very exciting.

Tickets are £15, more dates here: https://markwatson.seetickets.com/tour/mark-watson

I saw that and was tempted but put off by the price. Not to be a tight bastard, I want to support comedians and musicians and the like who have lost all their income at the moment, I'm just very skint too and you'd pay that to actually see him live so it felt a bit overpriced. Was it worth the admittance?

14 minutes ago, Papaya Dance said:

I saw that and was tempted but put off by the price. Not to be a tight bastard, I want to support comedians and musicians and the like who have lost all their income at the moment, I'm just very skint too and you'd pay that to actually see him live so it felt a bit overpriced. Was it worth the admittance?

I enjoyed it a lot and felt like I got my money's worth, although at the end he said he'd massively overrun (it was about an hour and a half in total). I rationalised it as paying him for the hours of entertainment I've got out of NMJ.

There's one on 8th February which i think is his current show plus a preview of material from his next one, for the same price.

Oh yeah I definitely don't begrudge him the money, times must have been pretty tough, particularly with the charity watsonathons where he raised tonnes of cash while having presumably very little income. Great bloke, I'm just having to be really careful with money at the moment too.

2 minutes ago, Papaya Dance said:

Oh yeah I definitely don't begrudge him the money, times must have been pretty tough, particularly with the charity watsonathons where he raised tonnes of cash while having presumably very little income. Great bloke, I'm just having to be really careful with money at the moment too.

Admittedly so am I, and I was a bit pissed when I bought the ticket so it probably wasn't the best move

• 2 weeks later...

This is interesting - they originally did a series of shorts for the BBC Comedy website called No More Women as a spin-off from We Need Answers and someone's collected 10 episodes of it here: https://mega.nz/folder/G2IxGaZJ#7XvWKifSCe1KKwkqJY484A/folder/S2RSwAoa

Seems like they're all Key vs Watson with Horne commentating. Interesting to see the chess timer in use, this must have been before the temporal rules were controversially relaxed at the 2012 synod.

48 minutes ago, PK said:

This is interesting - they originally did a series of shorts for the BBC Comedy website called No More Women as a spin-off from We Need Answers and someone's collected 10 episodes of it here: https://mega.nz/folder/G2IxGaZJ#7XvWKifSCe1KKwkqJY484A/folder/S2RSwAoa

Seems like they're all Key vs Watson with Horne commentating. Interesting to see the chess timer in use, this must have been before the temporal rules were controversially relaxed at the 2012 synod.

These are great, thank you! I knew about the no more women era but didn't know they'd been collated like this.

Stumbled upon this youtube video from the time with two pretty annoying guys explaining the rules. I don't know why key, Watson and horne weren't involved. Do you know anything about it? https://youtu.be/F14NJbPnwKY

I hope it's on Zoom. I've seen two of Watson's shows and they work really well, it's great being able to hear an audience laughing (and the occasional dog going mental). I also really want to shout "COME ON TIM!" at least once

4 minutes ago, Papaya Dance said:

Do you know if tickets are limited? I don't want to miss out but also probably can't afford to buy one until the day before.

I think they might be, looks like they're running out already:

I know you're a big fan of these boys and the beautiful game so if you like I can try and buy a ticket for you and you can Paypal me?

1 minute ago, PK said:

Ah, balls.

I'll keep an eye out for if/when they release more tickets @Papaya Dance, so if you want me to pick one up for you let us know.

Yeah just seen that myself. Don't worry about picking one up for me, that's way too kind an offer. I'll keep an eye out too but if you see more on sale give me a nudge and I'll just have to go without beer this weekend so I can buy one!

On 07/02/2021 at 15:27, PK said:

Gone :( still had half of them to watch too. Any idea if they're available elsewhere?

Just now, Papaya Dance said:

Gone :( still had half of them to watch too. Any idea if they're available elsewhere?

Afraid not, they were posted in /r/panelshow so maybe someone will reupload and post the link there.

6 hours ago, Papaya Dance said:

Ah bollocks, must have sold out in seconds.  I was constantly refreshing the page from 11.59 to get in there straight away but didn't have any luck and they've just announced it's totally sold out. Gutted!

Oh balls, that is shit. It does sound like they're going to do it again at some point:

Yeah I saw somebody say they've confirmed a youtube edit of the live show will be made available at some point too so that's some consolation. Just a shame they can't stream it to an external site and make tickets unlimited somehow. Not to get all 'I liked them before they were cool' but I have followed everything they've done since We Need Answers so I'm pretty gutted to miss out!