Sound of Metal (Riz Ahmed/Amazon Prime)

Sound of Metal is a 2019 American drama film directed by Darius Marder and starring Riz Ahmed, Olivia Cooke, Paul Raci, Lauren Ridloff and Mathieu Amalric. It tells the story of a drummer who begins to lose his hearing.

The film had its world premiere in the Platform Prize program at the 2019 Toronto International Film Festival on September 6, 2019. It will be released theatrically on November 20, 2020 and streaming on Prime Video on December 4, 2020, by Amazon Studios.

• 3 months later...

I can't find this on Amazon Prime, I think the info in the opening post must be for the US service. Some info about a UK cinema release this month which will be pointless! They need to get this onto a streaming service.

27 minutes ago, ckny said:

It’s out there on the high seas (obviously), we watched it at the weekend and loved it.

I see Riz got some award recently for his performance, looking forward to enjoying it but I'll wait until it arrives on a streaming service.

On 14/01/2021 at 18:34, grounded_dreams said:

I just thought it was called that due to the scene in the playground with the slide No idea though tbh.

Spoiler

I assume it refers to the implants too. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 15/04/2021 at 10:56, Mr Combo Breaker said:

Looking forward to this...but..does it have a lot of high pitch whine sounds used to illustrate his deafness? 

Storyline spoiler, but essentially yes:

Spoiler

Once he gets his implants (quite a way in) there's a very grating and unpleasant representation of how the world might sound to him. It's not constant, but it's harsh enough.

7 hours ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

Looking forward to this...but..does it have a lot of high pitch whine sounds used to illustrate his deafness? 

Obviously you might not want to read the spoiler above, so I’ll just say that yes, it has some, but possibly not a lot. Didn’t really think too much to the film in the end, really.

Yeah, this was wonderful but totally heartbreaking. Amazing insight into the world of deaf people. So, so interesting.

I had no idea how much it would lean into the themes of denial and addiction too. The ending was shattering and I do mean that in a good way. So powerful.

Enjoyed this a lot. Riz Ahed does a lot of acting with his eyes at the beginning of the movie - wild and darting, completely full of fear and panic. It was entirely infectious. He’s brilliant throughout.