Are collectors getting weirder?

Just now, ScouserInExile said:

Wasn't the Atari 7800 completely backwards compatible with the 2600? Including the joysticks?

Yep, but the Master System pre-dates the 7800.

I had forgotten that one though.

On 01/10/2020 at 10:50, Freeman said:

If we get into versions, then stuff with licences that were only ever available digitally such as Afterburner and Outrun 2 on XBLA, and lots of lesser known XBLA games when XBLA died.  You'd have to purchase an xbox with them installed, and the permission to use / log into the sellers live account I guess to run them.

At the same time, I'm sure there are a bunch of arcade games too, but then I suppose the arcade has always been time based

That's not the fault of collectors though, that's just a licencing issue. You can happily play Outrun 2 on Xbox, PS2, PSP or PC with a physical copy. Afterburner I'm not so sure about - I assume you're talking about Climax, which I think was a digital exclusive outside of the arcade?

10 hours ago, Camel said:

What does that have to do with the Master System?

Nothing, but if we're limiting it to the big 3, the answer still isn't Sony.

9 hours ago, Dig Dug said:

Game Boy Color is a weird one to use in this case. The best selling “color” game was completely functional on the og gameboy.

It's not impossible that's going to be true of the Series as well.

32 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

Which game was that?

Pokémon Gold/Silver

Pokemon Yellow before it was advertised as a Game but gane that was enhanced on the color.

Gold/Silver were advertised as color games that you could play on an original game boy.

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed reading this thread. Whilst I have kept my early microcomputers, I don't feel the need to keep the physical hardware anymore. I enjoy seeing the odd pic of collections online. But am always glad my house just remind me of my work all the time.

I know people in the industry who have the ultimate 'insider' collections with things mere mortals have never seen. And sealed multiples of hardware, games, and spindles of blank first pressings off the lines. Hence I never kept any SEGA or Xbox stuff.

Have also seen a genuine "Sonic The Hedgehog" Rolex watch - with the ticking white glove as the second hand. Less than six produced I hear. Now that is a true collector's item.

1 hour ago, CrashedAlex said:

I enjoyed reading this thread. Whilst I have kept my early microcomputers, I don't feel the need to keep the physical hardware anymore. I enjoy seeing the odd pic of collections online. But am always glad my house just remind me of my work all the time.

And actually one of the really nice effects of preservation efforts is you can experience 90% of the joy of all the retro games with your only physical evidence being a single controller.  I love there's that choice.

I think they got weird when Everdrives and ODEs hit the market, essentially eliminating the scarcity of the games themselves, even on the original hardware.

This also coincided with the rise of Retro channels on YouTube, with each host standing in front of their bookshelves crammed with original boxes of various rare games.

Suddenly, the market was all about boxes, not games. The games are pretty much commodities now; the much rarer cardboard components are where it’s at, and sell for more than the consoles or cartridges they contained.

I have some sympathy in a way - I have a strong nostalgia for western big-box Amiga/PC games, especially Lucasarts, and I could understand paying a premium for that. But console games didn’t come anywhere near that in terms of packaging production values, so paying a fortune for them seems odd. 

There's an investment point of view too - if you spent a grand on desirable retro shit a decade ago, it's probably worth 3 grand now. 

I sold 90% of my collection in 2012 and the prices they sold for compared to now looks like I practically gave it away. 

Couple of examples are The Punisher and Seperation Anxiety on PAL Mega Drive I got £50 and £51.35 for respectively on ebay, last two complete examples went for £450 each. 

Who cares though right - you can't keep everything forever. 

Here's another:

Sega Mega Drive / Megadrive SHINOBI III Classics Boxed

Item Number 260677741622 £4.25 GBP

Less than a fiver for a boxed Shinobi III. Why retro games suddenly exploded in value I just don't know. 

1 hour ago, Alexlotl said:

I have a strong nostalgia for western big-box Amiga/PC games, especially Lucasarts, and I could understand paying a premium for that. But console games didn’t come anywhere near that in terms of packaging production values, so paying a fortune for them seems odd. 

I've got quite a lot of those in the loft. I need to either get them out and on display, or eBay them.

I'm selling a PSone at the moment that's going to cover half the cost of my PS5

4 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

This also coincided with the rise of Retro channels on YouTube, with each host standing in front of their bookshelves crammed with original boxes of various rare games.

Suddenly, the market was all about boxes, not games. The games are pretty much commodities now; the much rarer cardboard components are where it’s at, and sell for more than the consoles or cartridges they contained.

I get this, I'm trying to get every UK SMS game and while I'm not too worried about manuals I do want boxes.

tbf, this is the SMS where the boxes are pretty hardy and also I can see myself resorting to repro at some point.

But of course part of it is artwork.

13 hours ago, Down by Law said:

There's an investment point of view too - if you spent a grand on desirable retro shit a decade ago, it's probably worth 3 grand now. 

Yeah, but in a decades time, your stuff could be worth five grand. Or five pence. Either way, you've hung on to something you don't want for twenty years. Which I just don't get.

1 minute ago, ScouserInExile said:

Yeah, but in a decades time, your stuff could be worth five grand. Or five pence. Either way, you've hung on to something you don't want for twenty years. Which I just don't get.

13 hours ago, Down by Law said:

Who cares though right - you can't keep everything forever. 

Agreed 

15 hours ago, Down by Law said:

Less than a fiver for a boxed Shinobi III. Why retro games suddenly exploded in value I just don't know. 

Because loads of people are working from home, getting very bored and spending ages browsing to buy junk. Retro games to relieve some boredom is the biggest influencer. I was looking at getting a Wii Fit back in June and they were going for over £100. Practically giving them away again now everythings opened up.

16 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

I was looking at getting a Wii Fit back in June and they were going for over £100.

Bollocks, really? I have one I don't want and there's one for a couple of quid in a local charity shop. 

Still seem to be going for £20-ish on eBay. I'll add that to the "I really should sell that" pile.

29 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

Bollocks, really? I have one I don't want and there's one for a couple of quid in a local charity shop. 

Still seem to be going for £20-ish on eBay. I'll add that to the "I really should sell that" pile.

They have dropped massively since beginning of September. People waking up to the reality of going back to work I think :lol:

16 hours ago, Down by Law said:

I wonder if there is a link to the amount of expendable income that those people desiring after those items have available. It's certainly not teenagers going out and buying all this stuff.

2 hours ago, phresh said:

I wonder if there is a link to the amount of expendable income that those people desiring after those items have available. It's certainly not teenagers going out and buying all this stuff.

Yeah, definitely a factor that the generation with nostalgia for 8-32bit stuff are approaching peak earning potential. We wouldn’t see things like the Analogue products if that wasn’t the case. 

4 hours ago, Vespa Alex said:

Not for much longer, but yes. I could have bought as many as I wanted 15 years ago. Wish I had more!

I think i just found yours, with a day to go i'd expect that to break £300 in the last few minutes, nice work

3 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Because loads of people are working from home, getting very bored and spending ages browsing to buy junk. Retro games to relieve some boredom is the biggest influencer. I was looking at getting a Wii Fit back in June and they were going for over £100. Practically giving them away again now everythings opened up.

Agreed to a point but at lot of prices especially Mega Drive have been in a sharp rise over the last five years. Since then there's been loads of modern tv friendly ways of playing these games too - as well as Everdrives becoming quite common etc - outside of hardcore collectors paying big money to fill gaps I just don't see the appeal of spending £70 on a complete copy of Shinobi III, a relatively common and easily accessible game, it's even on an unhacked Mini. I've recently paid £50 for a copy of Project Justice, but there's literally no other version of that game on any other format and it's likely to stay that was forcing prices upwards, so that made sense to me.

24 minutes ago, Alexlotl said:

Yeah, definitely a factor that the generation with nostalgia for 8-32bit stuff are approaching peak earning potential. We wouldn’t see things like the Analogue products if that wasn’t the case. 

Also true. I was born in '85 so have a lot of nostalgia for that time and it's only really now I'm comfortable with my lot in terms of housing and finances.

I’m on some retro Facebook groups and people collect consoles with different pack in games.  The only difference is the sticker on the outside of the box.  The console and the pack-in games are the same as other retail versions.  

6EB37280-8CED-4659-A743-2C902D56ECC9.jpeg