Is Backward Compatibility important to you?

My view is that 99% of what I've bought over the years I probably wouldn't play again.   BUT, there's games that I still want to revisit and games that I never got to try out the first time out.   I'm playing Dead Space at the moment and loving it.   A couple of months ago we had an evening of rllmuk Daytona via BC.  I've had the chance to try out Skate and see what the fuss was about. The other night I went back to Geometry Wars 2 and after 12 years beat a workmates high score.  Sent him screenshot and he replied game on!. We're back to trying to beat each others scores. Are they going to be the majority of my gaming time?  Unlikely. But the point is that they're there if I want.

Depends on the type of backward compatability. If it is just playing my old games exactly as before no. But playing an old game that I might not have played before in a better way with a sort of auto remaster, yes. When FFXIII was added to back compat as an x enhanced game it was something I bought for cheap and after a lot of open world RPGs it was nice to play something linear that managed to look really good it didn't show its age as much as I expected.

So yeah I'm all in on Xbox's idea of what back compat is. I'll boot up old favourites briefly to drive or run about a bit and see old sights anew again but playing something old I missed where the old wrinkles have been cleaned up with an up res (both frame rate and resolution) sounds great. The SSD loading will help with the brief tours around the old favs as it means so little waiting just to visit Velen.

It's a massive deal for me and my partner who didn't care previously is now on board as there are some games she wants to revisit over and over.

As a Sony fanboy Microsoft's approach to bc compared to Sony means that my next console purchase will be an X-box. As for how often I play old 360 titles? One of the best gaming experiences I had last year was playing through Nier for the first time.

In theory yes, because I'd like to be able to finish some of the games in my backlog without keeping old consoles hooked up. 

In practice no, because who am I kidding I'm never going to finish any of the games in my backlog ever, I don't know why I even bought them, I even bought them digitally on day of release and why do I keep doing this now they're just sitting there mocking me. 

Sorry, what was the question, again?

For this coming generation, the main advantage of BC for me would be freeing up space under the telly.

Having gone from an Xbox 360 (only picking up a PS3 at the end of that gen) to a PS4 as my main console, I’m considering jumping back to Xbox. And this is despite not having a single Xbox One game to play via BC on it.

But definitely not for a while yet. I’m not falling into the trap of buying shiny new hardware again before anything I want to play has released.

11 minutes ago, wretcherd said:

Cyberpunk is out the same day as PS5 and 9 days after Xbox so, yes.

I think this is a great point that hasn’t really been discussed so far. For me, BC+ is more important now (well next month) than the longer term. Launch titles (that aren’t Nintendo) traditionally don’t last the test of time well, and likely won’t look that much better than BC+ anyway, meanwhile the later releases on current gen always have some gems that are well worth it. As an early adopter, I’m really happy to be able to reduce that pile of shame a little, and not waste my time on mediocre launch window stuff like I have in the past.

Longer term, well that’s yet to be seen. So much of this is reliant on downloads (bug patches, one x texture patches etc) that we won’t really know if Microsoft are saving retro gaming until the next generation, or even the i one after that.

I don't think it would bother me. What the Xbox is doing with updated games (FH4 and Destiny 2 in particular) is brilliant. And the possibility of a whole load of XB1 games being updated further is fantastic. And the auto updates to push games to 60fps is just amazing. 

What I would really have loved though would be the PS5 being fully backwards compatible. The amount of classics they have is off the chart and I really want to play the best football game ever in PES5. (Also on Xbox, MS are you there?) 

Just imagine if they had it. Damn. 

Saying all this, i don't mind either way. I will have new games to play. 

49 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Next gen games barely look any different to current gen so I can see backwards compatibility being a bigger deal than at any time in the past. 

This is it really isn't it? You'd look at Killzone on PS4 and then look at the PS3, wheezing and stuttering and struggling to play anything at a locked 30fps with tearing but this time round you look at Ghost of Tsushima and TLOU2, then look at the PS5 offerings with an almighty shrug. 

I'm currently playing the Mafia definitive edition and the city , weather, lighting and fake raytracing is as good as anything i've seen from next gen so far. It's stunning in motion.

JZnTYKDGNmb2gpCPbF7ZWP.jpg

It's not a feature I use a lot on the Xbox at the moment but it's nice to have acces to something like Puzzle Fighter which probably won't be getting a remaster/re-release anytime soon. 

Potentially losing access to a game in the future is something that does affect what platform I buy games on though. There's been indie games that I felt would be great to play on the Switch but I've ended up buying them elsewhere as I'm not certain that I'll be able to use those games on whatever Nintendo releases next. I'm reasonably certain at this point that if I buy something on Xbox or PlayStation that I'm going to have access to that on whatever they release next. Excluding service games that might get shutdown by the developers. 

3 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

One weird draw for me bc wise, Rare Replay. I really want to spend some time with that.

You're in for a treat. It's really nicely presented / put together and many of the games have stood the pliability test of time very well. 

Which reminds me I really must re visit Nuts n Bolts sometime soon, it's amazing what you can throw together in it and the physics are brilliant too :)

22 hours ago, mansizerooster said:

I love going back to the PS1 and 2 stuff, and would have loved to be able to chuck in discs from those gens into the PS5.

The PS4 drive can’t read CDs, so I doubt the PS5 drive will be able to. That rules out all PS1 discs and a bunch of PS2 games.

22 hours ago, dumpster said:

There's surely no reason they can't do BC for all PlayStation consoles on the PS5, it must be their choice not to do it, and I think it's going to cost them sales if they don't.

There’s a lot of reasons why they can’t do it, and I think people really underestimate how much better Microsoft have been at future proofing their systems from day 1. Because they all run on direct X, they’ve had a more consistent architecture across all their consoles, and it’s also worth remembering that although it was rarely used, the original Xbox supported HD resolutions, and therefore resolution scaling of some kind. They’ve never release a game on a CD either, so a combination of the time they happened to enter the market and their experience from PC development meant they have always been better placed to support full BC.

The PS1 is incredibly old. It’s not just that it was designed only to run on SD displays, but 99% of stuff is 4:3 with no widescreen options. The sound quality is incredibly variable and often sounds awful through modern speakers. It was never designed with any sort of internet in mind. Many of these problems are also relevant for PS2 games. I often think that people going on about this must never have bought any of the PS1 games that were available on PS3, because they often feel like shit to play in comparison to playing the originals on original hardware, and there’s a wide number of reasons for that.

There are probably five games that I play over from previous generations and I still own those machines (OG Xbox and PS2). Stuff I missed last gen, like Last Guardian and GOW seem to be on that PS+ thingy they have coming.

To be honest, I just want to play Demon's Souls.

I presumed that backwards compatibility would be standard for PS4/xbone. Was hugely disappointed when this wasn’t the case. Credit to MS for pushing the boat out since make sure that their consoles stretch as far back as possible. Apple, Steam etc have changed things in this way.

Of course it’s important, a great game is a great game despite its age and having it always available to purchase is good for developers and the consumer alike. Already having a library ready to download is the main reason why I’ve gone for a Series S, games suck as Nights, Jet Set Radio, Guawange, Geometry wars, Fable 2, Shenmue etc I want to always be able to play alongside a current game line up. Why wouldn’t you? 

Consoles are basically PCs now so backward compatibility should be standard. I can understand why it drops off when it comes to old machines with different architectures. Hopefully hardware power will get to the point where we can just emulate everything up to at least PS2/GC/XB gen and the prohibitive cost of porting will stop being such a barrier.

Comparing games from the end of the last gen with cross gen launch titles on the next is as silly as it is every generation. But this gen will have the longest 'transitional phase' yet, for sure. GTAV/Online and Minecraft was the point at which it became clear that some games are going to be properly 'evergreen' titles that their communities would be happy just to have run faster/prettier on new hardware. (There were PC games that had super long lifespans before of course - Worms, The Sims, RCT, WoW, etc. - but mostly not still selling at full price and being ongoing major revenue streams.)

I want to play Space Channel 5 2 again, oh I can't. Maybe a game of Outrun 2, nope can't play that either. Hey anyone remember Bishi Bashi Special? Well you can't play it. Oh man I loved Ridge Racer Revolution, shame you can't play it. 

I guess it's not a massive thing for most people but there are tons of games I'd love to visit again. 

How about Gitaroo Man that was crazy? Nope. 

It is important. But sadly this time around it seems to skip the two libraries that I am most interested in: Nintendo and Sony. And both of those are more into repackaging and reselling. Not problematic, but pricey in the long run. 

I absolutely adore what Microsoft is doing here, but for the same reason I’m getting a PS5 rather than an XSX, they just don’t have the games I want to play most. There will be gems there, but not enough for me to jump ship. That and a sixfold RRoD trauma. 

Well yeah, one of the reasons Microsoft are being so generous with BC is definitely that they have very few games that anyone cares enough about to pay for again. They happily resold all the Halo games, but this way they can make licensing money off old third party games that people might actually be willing to pay for. 

For Sony and MS I’m amazed BC is even a topic for the next gen, I assumed were at the point in console development it’d just be there. The PS2 was BC, the PS3 started the bollocksing up of it all.

nintendo will tread their own path regardless

48 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

I absolutely adore what Microsoft is doing here, but for the same reason I’m getting a PS5 rather than an XSX, they just don’t have the games I want to play most. There will be gems there, but not enough for me to jump ship. That and a sixfold RRoD trauma. 

This is the crux of it. I've always ended up owning a machine from all of them at some point or another. But there has to be that reason to buy the box. I thought I was skipping both of them straight after the PS5 showcase as Demon's Souls seemed to have no launch date and Halo was on ice. I bought the console on the strength of DS as it sells the system to me. I can't imagine there not being a game that sells me a Series X but it isn't there at the moment.

I guess another wrinkle is right now when we think backward compatibility the gut is to think of PS3 / 360 and before. The next gen having backward compatibility means that Cyberpunk which comes out 1 week after the Series X|S will be playable and have some of the advantages of being run on beefier hardware. That is a new game that I'd like to play on new hardware. It might not take full advantage but the frame rate will be solid and the load times will be much lower.

Personally I also need Rockband / Rocksmith to keep working 

With each gen it feels that the differences are becoming smaller; diminishing returns as quality and fidelity plateau. I had no interest in playing PS1 games on my PS2, and aside from Halo, Ico and SotC not much from that gen to the to the PS3 and 360 generation.

But there are PS3 and 360 games that were perfectly good even a few years into the current gen (TLoU, Batman, Skyrim, RDR, GTA5, Mass Effect), and it was notable that these could not be played on the XB1 and PS4 until remakes and BC appeared later.

With each gen the gaps separating them decrease, and BC becomes more desirable - especially with improved frame rates and loading times on newer consoles.

Now, as we approach the PS5 and Series SX consoles' launches, there are plenty of games that I would like to continue playing, or experience for the first time. PS4 games will continue to feel 'modern' for several years, and having one PlayStation console under the TV instead of two feels a basic necessity rather than a desirable feature.

19 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

That and a sixfold RRoD trauma. 

Yeah, I think I had 5 rrod, although fixed the last one. But worth knowing that the Microsoft hardware team have been doing magic since whomever turned up to do the Surface line. Not that I'm expecting any of these new machines to be faultless.