Super Mario 35 - Out now

It's ok for a game to have its own thread!

Info :

trailer with English accent - https://youtu.be/4K-sVdynEf0

trailer with American accent - https://youtu.be/PhnZiJHFwUE

It's out now, free for nintendo switch online members, and is available until 31/03/2021.

my opinion:

it's not that good but I keep playing it. I don't think it works that well as a battle royale. I don't understand how the course select works.

I think it would be better as a race. I've been most successful just pootling along waiting for the hasty players to die. The end takes ages and is anti-climactic. 

1 hour ago, chris on the moon said:

It's ok for a game to have its own thread!

Info :

trailer with English accent - https://youtu.be/4K-sVdynEf0

trailer with American accent - https://youtu.be/PhnZiJHFwUE

It's out now, free for nintendo switch online members, and is available until 31/03/2021.

my opinion:

it's not that good but I keep playing it. I don't think it works that well as a battle royale. I don't understand how the course select works.

The game's all right, but can I just say how refreshing it is to hear Mario's name pronounced properly, in an official trailer, perhaps for the first time in human history?

I'd heard 'Maaario' so many times that I thought maybe my life was a lie and that I was losing my mind. It's Mario. It's pronounced Mario. Total vindication. 

It's weird that this was an unnoficial web browser game a few months ago that got taken down by DMCA , only to appear almost exactly the same as an official release. Coincidence? Or have Nintendo just ripped off someone else's idea?  My guess is the latter because this is not Nintendo quality at all.  It feels like an idea that doesn't work, unlike Tetris 99 which is great. 

First go - first one to die off of first goomba!

Quite enjoyed flicking between other players as a spectator, but I’m not very good at 2D Mario and so I’m never going to be any good at this so don’t see it getting much play-time.

16 hours ago, Danster said:

Nintendo could do a lot worse than rip off Fall Guys for their next 99 game.

They have hundreds of minigames from Mario Party that they could retool. Even just an arena with 100 Marios lobbing shells at each other while Bowser rains down fireballs could be incredible.

Personally, though, what this game makes me want more than anything else is for Namco to get a Pacman 40 sorted.

It's fun because Mario is fun, but it's nowhere near as good as Tetris 99. Players tend to get knocked out through their own mistakes (falling down a pit, running into a goomba) and when you get down to the last few players it goes on for aaaages because it doesn't have the escalating urgency of Tetris. Eventually the timer starts ticking down quicker but it doesn't happen quickly enough and to be honest there are so many enemies in the game that it's fairly easy to keep the time topped up anyway. So every game just ends up with three or four competent Mario players playing their own games, for a very long time.

On 03/10/2020 at 06:57, Marlew said:

I think it would be better as a race. I've been most successful just pootling along waiting for the hasty players to die. The end takes ages and is anti-climactic. 

These are exactly my thoughts. I've been into the top 5 a few times now and at the end it just becomes a war of attrition really. Collect enough coins in the early game and you have enough in the latter half to keep spamming the box. And if you get a fire flower then it's easy to just potter along at your own pace. 

On 03/10/2020 at 11:38, dumpster said:

It's weird that this was an unnoficial web browser game a few months ago that got taken down by DMCA , only to appear almost exactly the same as an official release. Coincidence? Or have Nintendo just ripped off someone else's idea?  My guess is the latter because this is not Nintendo quality at all.  It feels like an idea that doesn't work, unlike Tetris 99 which is great. 

It's not exactly the same though. Mario 35 is about survival, that browser game I believe was a race to the finish, which to be honest would be much better.

3 minutes ago, Gambit said:

These are exactly my thoughts. I've been into the top 5 a few times now and at the end it just becomes a war of attrition really. Collect enough coins in the early game and you have enough in the latter half to keep spamming the box. And if you get a fire flower then it's easy to just potter along at your own pace. 

It's not exactly the same though. Mario 35 is about survival, that browser game I believe was a race to the finish, which to be honest would be much better.

I think if Nintendo had kept that idea it would have got boring fast.

Also, maybe come March they will remove the game.. and we will get Mario 128. Turns out they just changed to to 35 players for the anniversary :omg:

Tried it a couple of times & i like how the Multibounce & Shell Kick mechanics of the original game work well with the extra enemies that are added in, enabling massive combos.  The added enemies also have the effect of breaking up the flow of the original game, something i know by heart & have a tendency to play on autopilot, so having that flow broken means my SMB movement skills are tested in new ways.

It does get boring at the end though.  I've spectated a few times after dying & it usually comes down to a couple of good players dragging it out for ages using those aforementioned massive combos to keep their timers topped up until one of them slips up. 

Perhaps once the game ends in March Nintendo can take a look at what worked & what didn't about this concept, & incorporate it into a later similar game.

Had a few goes yesterday and it's pretty enjoyable. Mario platforming never gets old and it's a fun variation. Does lack pacing though, could maybe do with automatic scrolling gradually increasing in speed.

I think a sort of (S)NES Remix XX would be amazing, throw in some Wario Ware and Rhythmn Tengoku. Loads of different mini games, increasing in speed/complexity, although not sure how your actions are converted into disadvantages. I reckon it would work.

I think it gets a bit better once the later levels unlock and you don't just play 1-1 a thousand times in a row. I find it satisfying when I get more enemies than I can count on screen and run through them with a star, sending them to my opponent who will probably do the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...